Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
We had similar blackouts yesterday. New York has Con Edison, New Jersey has Jersey Central power and Light.
JCPL has been notorious for taking forever to restore power. The grids are so old and need to be updated, but that would take years and billions to fix. Yesterday half the state was in the dark and in this sweltering heat. Luckily I was spared, but for five million others it wasn't so good.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
We had a blackout a couple of weeks ago, evidently one of the transformer towers that run through my neighborhood was exploding (you could hear the bangs) so that knocked out the power in the entire area. What surprised me was how quickly they managed to restore power to everybody in just a couple of hours or so: usually whenever this happens (and it seems to always, coincidentally, happen around the same time of year), it'll be well into the evening before they can get everything restored.

MWoO

Reaction score
Sorry, you’re really off right here. For starters, communists and fascists are not the same and should not be used interchangeably. You can say that ANTIFA act like fascists, which wouldn’t be a wrong comparison, but they are not fascists.

Fascism, by its very definition, is a radical right-wing system, an ultranationalist authoritarian grip on a country. ANTIFA seem to want to silence all who disagree with them, but they’re also not against diversity, so already one part of the definition no longer applies. Never mind the fact that actual fascists hate communism and the way it attempts (poorly) to benefit all of the people. Fascist societies are far more structured and rigid.

Calling ANTIFA to real fascists is BS; saying they act like fascists, then you’ve got an argument.

~ Die Grammatik Nazi
So, first, if you go mainly by the wiki page, then the definition of fascism states it is purely a right wing system. However, if you go by the actual dictionary definition, aka, the definition, it is:

1: often capitalized : a political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorialleader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition
2: a tendency toward or actual exercise of strong autocratic or dictatorial control

Nothing specifically stating "right wing".

So let us take the definition and see what ANTIFA and the far left in general want.

First, race above the individual. So.... things like affirmative action? This puts race above the individual. Identity politics where race is how people define themselves? Race above the individual. The far left puts race above all else in almost all of its politics and social issues. Even down to simple stuff like entertainment.

This is purely anecdotal, but I've watched Colbert (basically the most left wing late night host there is) and many times his audience cheers in odd places. For example He spoke about the next 007 being a black woman. Before the audience knew who the actress was they cheered just for the character being a black woman. The actress did not matter, just the race and gender. When Hillary ran for president all we heard was "It's time for a woman president". Basically saying we should vote for Hillary because she is a woman. AOC won with no experience or knowledge of basic policy. She won because she was young, Hispanic, and a woman. How many times have we heard the left say they don't want any more old white men telling them what to do? The left LOVES to put race, gender, and sexuality above the individual.

Second, standing for a centralized autocratic government. So... which party wants a strong government that has control over almost all aspects of life? The right that wants to decentralize and privatize things, or the left that wants the government to control healthcare, schools, provide basic income, etc? The left loves big government and the far left wants to do away with privatization in most aspects. They detest businesses as a whole. The left wants the government to control everything just not a republican government. They want an autocracy of liberals. Had Obama said he wasn't giving up the presidency, they would have cheered.

Third, severe economic and social regimentation. So... which party is the one trying to control language and ideas? Which is the one that wants severe regulation of private businesses? Which is the one trying to dictate what behavior is and is not to be tolerated? The far left has become insanely concerned with controlling social behavior. The far left ahs invented an infinite amount of genders and pronouns that we all need to recognize. The left has passed laws that control speech and may cause you to be fined if you "misgender" someone in a place of business. They are the party that jails people in the UK for "hate speech" which is determined by the state with no clear definition.

And finally, forcible suppression of opposition. This is all ANTIFA does. They try to shout people down or beat them into submission. If someone says something they don't like, they attack. They dox, they try to eliminate right wing YouTube channels and have right wing twitter accounts taken down. They want the removal of ideas they disagree with. Almost all media is left wing. So.... which party is trying to suppress the opposition again?

And this is why I can not process what you said. It was so crazy that it made my head spin. They act like fascists because they use fascist tactics and want a fascist liberal government. The fight against the current government which also exhibits fascist tendencies. ANTIFA is a left wing fascist group that claims to fight fascism from the right.

If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, it's a fascist,

That's my response. I hope it was everything you wanted it to be.

MWoO

Reaction score
I really ought to ask my Trump-supporting, out-of-work truck driver dad what he thinks about this:

So, if you read the article, they want to eliminate the mandatory rest period, not eliminate rest periods. Part of the reason is that the goal of the law that was put in place in 2012 was to reduce truck accidents and it didn't work. All it did was force drivers to pull over that either did not want to or did not need to.

We have a similar issue where I work. I am an hourly manager. I am forced to take 2 15 minute breaks. I HATE taking 15 minute breaks unless I am actually tired, but if my manager finds me skipping them I can get in trouble... for wanting to continue working. I would much rather those breaks be optional and allow me to decide if I need them or not. If I exercise my option, then great, If i don't, that is ok too.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
We have a similar issue where I work. I am an hourly manager. I am forced to take 2 15 minute breaks. I HATE taking 15 minute breaks unless I am actually tired, but if my manager finds me skipping them I can get in trouble... for wanting to continue working. I would much rather those breaks be optional and allow me to decide if I need them or not. If I exercise my option, then great, If i don't, that is ok too.
I used to be this way lol, but I imagine my job is way more laissez-faire than yours so no one ever really cared, however, I am at a position now where I stand all day so I'll take them. I was only that way cause I hate working overtime and would be willing to sacrifice a paid half-hour to get out of there on time.

When I started in 2012 it was actually two 10-minute breaks and lunch wasn't mandatory, but that's a whole other story.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
So, first, if you go mainly by the wiki page, then the definition of fascism states it is purely a right wing system. However, if you go by the actual dictionary definition, aka, the definition, it is:

1: often capitalized : a political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorialleader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition
2: a tendency toward or actual exercise of strong autocratic or dictatorial control

Nothing specifically stating "right wing".

So let us take the definition and see what ANTIFA and the far left in general want.

First, race above the individual. So.... things like affirmative action? This puts race above the individual. Identity politics where race is how people define themselves? Race above the individual. The far left puts race above all else in almost all of its politics and social issues. Even down to simple stuff like entertainment.

This is purely anecdotal, but I've watched Colbert (basically the most left wing late night host there is) and many times his audience cheers in odd places. For example He spoke about the next 007 being a black woman. Before the audience knew who the actress was they cheered just for the character being a black woman. The actress did not matter, just the race and gender. When Hillary ran for president all we heard was "It's time for a woman president". Basically saying we should vote for Hillary because she is a woman. AOC won with no experience or knowledge of basic policy. She won because she was young, Hispanic, and a woman. How many times have we heard the left say they don't want any more old white men telling them what to do? The left LOVES to put race, gender, and sexuality above the individual.

Second, standing for a centralized autocratic government. So... which party wants a strong government that has control over almost all aspects of life? The right that wants to decentralize and privatize things, or the left that wants the government to control healthcare, schools, provide basic income, etc? The left loves big government and the far left wants to do away with privatization in most aspects. They detest businesses as a whole. The left wants the government to control everything just not a republican government. They want an autocracy of liberals. Had Obama said he wasn't giving up the presidency, they would have cheered.

Third, severe economic and social regimentation. So... which party is the one trying to control language and ideas? Which is the one that wants severe regulation of private businesses? Which is the one trying to dictate what behavior is and is not to be tolerated? The far left has become insanely concerned with controlling social behavior. The far left ahs invented an infinite amount of genders and pronouns that we all need to recognize. The left has passed laws that control speech and may cause you to be fined if you "misgender" someone in a place of business. They are the party that jails people in the UK for "hate speech" which is determined by the state with no clear definition.

And finally, forcible suppression of opposition. This is all ANTIFA does. They try to shout people down or beat them into submission. If someone says something they don't like, they attack. They dox, they try to eliminate right wing YouTube channels and have right wing twitter accounts taken down. They want the removal of ideas they disagree with. Almost all media is left wing. So.... which party is trying to suppress the opposition again?

And this is why I can not process what you said. It was so crazy that it made my head spin. They act like fascists because they use fascist tactics and want a fascist liberal government. The fight against the current government which also exhibits fascist tendencies. ANTIFA is a left wing fascist group that claims to fight fascism from the right.

If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, it's a fascist,

That's my response. I hope it was everything you wanted it to be.
You forgot the part about how the left wants to overthrow the government and impeach President Trump, despite there being no proven legal grounds for impeachment.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
@MWoO I’m glad you brought up the left’s annoying ongoing belief with race and gender because holy **** it’s annoying.

Like, I was constantly told and even forced to think like them that I HAVE to respect Hillary and I HAVE to vote for her because sHe’S a WoMaN. It was annoying as ****.

Like, if I’m going to vote for someone, it’s going to be for their plan. Not for their characteristic. And yeah, I stopped watching Stephen Colbert myself after his show pretty much became the Orange Man Bad show.

But, I am going to have to disagree with you on the gender part. I’ve actually studied gender vs sex and now understood how it is separated. However, I’m not going to change your mind about it because I know I won’t (as I’ve said before, no one changes their minds with facts; it’s scientifically proven), so i’ll let you learn it on your own.