Henson issues statement about Chick-Fila-A

seismicmike

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Seismic Mike here. I appreciate you reading my article and taking the time to interact with it. I read jvcarroll's comment and haven't had time to write a reply. It really is not my intent to get involved in a lengthly debate on this subject because they tend to devolve into flame wars and that is precisely what frustrates me about the issue.

I'm here mostly to react to the statement jvcarroll made in his reply when he said "...That is just about as hateful and ridiculous as equating gay people the sin of a pedophile."

It was never my intent to equate homosexuals with pedophiles. I apologize if the way I articulated my position implied this meaning. I hope that that bit of confusion does not detract from the overall point of my argument which is that I think both sides need to back down, something jvcarroll asked for in his reply. I'm with you there.

Thank you, Slackbot for your feedback about the theme of the site as well. I'll take that into consideration. I think the main content area is a bit narrow too... :smile:

Cheers.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I stand by my statement. If gays want legal rights to be married for god sakes LET THEM!!!! People really need to try and be on the other side of the coin sometimes. Wouldn't you wanna have just as much as that right as a straight couple does? Of course you would!!! It's easy for people to sit and say gays shouldn't have equal rights when they have all the rights! I feel sorry for the gay community I really do. Why should they be any less worthy of having equal rights then me? Simply because I'm not gay? Please!!! Nobody is more deserving then others because EVERYBODY deserves equality!! It's just the right thing to do! Or not getting health insurance which I think it just beyond wrong!!

Seriously have gays done anything to you personally?? Have they stole your children, robbed you of house and home? If not then let them be and live their lives!!! I hope the day comes when we don't have to label people as gay, lesbian, or whatever. I hope we can just call everyone "human beings." I really hope every state in the country will see that giving everyone the same opportunity regardless of beliefs and life style is just the RIGHT thing to do.

Just so there's no confusion when I say "you" it's not aimed at anyone personally in this thread. Lol.

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Seismic Mike here. I appreciate you reading my article and taking the time to interact with it. I read jvcarroll's comment and haven't had time to write a reply. It really is not my intent to get involved in a lengthly debate on this subject because they tend to devolve into flame wars and that is precisely what frustrates me about the issue.

I'm here mostly to react to the statement jvcarroll made in his reply when he said "...That is just about as hateful and ridiculous as equating gay people the sin of a pedophile."

It was never my intent to equate homosexuals with pedophiles. I apologize if the way I articulated my position implied this meaning. I hope that that bit of confusion does not detract from the overall point of my argument which is that I think both sides need to back down, something jvcarroll asked for in his reply. I'm with you there.

Thank you, Slackbot for your feedback about the theme of the site as well. I'll take that into consideration. I think the main content area is a bit narrow too... :smile:

Cheers.
Sorry for getting you into this haha. I saw a link to your post on facebook and thought it was interesting so I posted it here to see what others thought.

seismicmike

Reaction score
Slackbot,

I took another look at my site and the text/background colors look the same for the post text and for jvcarroll's text. I'm using Chrome and Win7. Are you using something different?

seismicmike

Reaction score
Sorry for getting you into this haha. I saw a link to your post on facebook and thought it was interesting so I posted it here to see what others thought.
Bannanasketch, not a problem at all :smile:. I appreciate the opportunity. I hope that in my time here I can accomplish several goals:
  1. Learn more about things from an LGBT perspective
  2. Express that the Christian position on this issue is not motivated by hatred, despite the fact that many Christians are hateful.
  3. Demonstrate the love of Christ by pouring out the grace he has shown toward me.
When called homosexuality sin in my article I did it for two reasons. First, I was under the impression that most of my readers would be Christians and would identify with the term. Second, I believe that God's word says that homosexuality is a sin. But, I acknowledge that many people don't believe in God's word and don't accept it as a standard for morality, and I can't change them. I can't force them to accept it. I don't think keeping gay marriage illegal will do anything to change peoples' opinion on this.
I look at it this way. If my son comes to me when he's 20-something and says, "Dad, I'm gay." I'll be heartbroken because he will be choosing something that is in violation to God's word (according to my interpretation), but I will not hate him. I will not disown him. I will say, "Son, I love you, and I will never stop loving you. I will always support you. I will never stop showing you God's love. I must warn you what God's word says, but I cannot force you to accept it. And I will go to the ends of the earth to show that love to you. Whatever you do, I will always love you. My love is unconditional. Even if I have to give you away at your gay wedding, I will do whatever it takes to prove my love to you." I believe that is the extent of the love of Christ who came down and said, "I love you so much, I will die for you."
If I can show my son that kind of love, why can't I show it to the guy down the street?

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
Bannanasketch, not a problem at all :smile:. I appreciate the opportunity. I hope that in my time here I can accomplish several goals:
  2. Express that the Christian position on this issue is not motivated by hatred, despite the fact that many Christians are hateful.
  3. Demonstrate the love of Christ by pouring out the grace he has shown toward me.
When called homosexuality sin in my article I did it for two reasons. First, I was under the impression that most of my readers would be Christians and would identify with the term. Second, I believe that God's word says that homosexuality is a sin. But, I acknowledge that many people don't believe in God's word and don't accept it as a standard for morality, and I can't change them. I can't force them to accept it. I don't think keeping gay marriage illegal will do anything to change peoples' opinion on this.

I look at it this way. If my son comes to me when he's 20-something and says, "Dad, I'm gay." I'll be heartbroken because he will be choosing something that is in violation to God's word (according to my interpretation), but I will not hate him. I will not disown him. I will say, "Son, I love you, and I will never stop loving you. I will always support you. I will never stop showing you God's love. I must warn you what God's word says, but I cannot force you to accept it. And I will go to the ends of the earth to show that love to you. Whatever you do, I will always love you. My love is unconditional. Even if I have to give you away at your gay wedding, I will do whatever it takes to prove my love to you." I believe that is the extent of the love of Christ who came down and said, "I love you so much, I will die for you."
If I can show my son that kind of love, why can't I show it to the guy down the street?
Completely agreed. I too believe that homosexuality is a sin but I believe that it is no worse than my own. If God loves me in all my sin, he surely can love everyone else. The problem with discussions on this nowadays is the lack of love and grace. Christians are known more for what they're against (homosexuality) than what they're for (love and grace).

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
From Chick-fil-A's facebook page:
Hey Fans, thanks for being supportive. There is a lot of misinformation out there. The latest is we have been accused of impersonating a teenager with a fake Facebook profile. We want you to know we would never do anything like that and this claim is 100% false. Please share with this with your friends.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why it's so blammed important to impose one out of thousands of Christian teachings like it's the most important thing?

It isn't.

Did God really speak of it? Because I seem to recall someone who wasn't God said it and mentioned it in the bible. What, is it the Gospel of some guy who muttered something to Moses now?

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Cheers.

Thanks. This much better explains your point of view. :cool:

There are always going to be wingnuts on both sides of an issue. Those are not the people being addressed by me. I think it's best to keep away from that kind of crazy. :eek:

I still don't understand the statement that somehow both sides are guilty of wrongdoing. The Jim Henson Company has embraced an "all swim" sentiment instead of an exclusive one. On the other hand, Chick-Fil-A has a long and murky history when it comes to equal rights. Their claim of respect to those who believe differently are not supported by their behavior. I understand why the Mayor of Boston wouldn't want their restaurant making money to spend on social politics intended to limit the civil rights of its citizens by overturning their right to gay marriage.

Some Christian Americans believe that this nation was built on enough principles of their faith that it lends justification to the legislation of them for everybody. Many scholars refute that claim. The Constitution was intended to be a changeable document. One that would eventually obliterate slavery and other constraints it initially supported. In essence, it changes to meet the needs of a growing, free society. The civil rights spotlight has now turned to the LGBT community. Gay marriage will eventually become an American. The only question is how nasty things will become along the journey.

The Henson Company has shown great bravery, honesty and maintenance of their core values in support of diversity. I think it's safe to say the small family-oriented company didn't really want this kind of exposure on any level, but they were forced to respond in some way. They came through it boldly and without some wimpy, watered-down or self-serving statement. I see nothing wrong with their actions or statements. They've been sent many hate-filled messages and threats to boycott them just for supporting everybody equally. It's unfortunate and silly considering they've joined these companies and brands like Allstate Insurance, Amazon.com, American Apparel, American Airlines, Apple (ipod, iphone ipad), Applebee's, Best Buy (Geek Squad), Boeing, Clorox ( Brita Filters, Glad Storage Bags, Hidden Valley Ranch, Pine-Sol),The Coca-Cola Company ( Fanta, Sprite, Minute Maid, Powerade, Dasani), Concur Technologies, Costco, Delta Airlines, Electronic Arts, Ford (Lincoln), Gap (Banana Republic, Old Navy, Piperlime), General Mills (Cheerios, Lucky Charms, Wheaties, Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, Green Giant, Hamburger Helper), General Motors (Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC),Google (Youtube, Zagat), Hilton Worldwide (Hilton Hotels, DoubleTree, Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn, Waldorf- Astoria),The Home Depot, IMB, J.C. Penney, Kraft Foods (Cadbury, Kraft, Nabisco, Oreo, Oscar Mayer, Planters), Levi's, Marriott Hotels (Renaissance Hotels, Ritz-Carlton, Courtyard Inn, Fairfield Inn), McDonald's, Microsoft (Windows, Bing, Xbox, Xbox 360),Nationwide Insurance, Nike (Converse), Olive Garden, PepsiCo (Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Gatorade, Tropicana, Aquafina, Frito-Lay, Quaker Oats), PG&E, Proctor and Gamble (Bounty, Charmin, Crest, Duracell, Gillette, Old Spice, Pampers, Tide, Vicks), Qualcomm, RealNetworks, Inc., Red Lobster, Rite Aid, Sears (Land's End), Southwest Airlines, Starbucks, State Farm Insurance, Target, United Airlines, UPS, Vulcan Inc., Walgreens, The Walt Disney Company (ABC, ESPN, Pixar, Marvel, The Muppets, Walt Disney Studios, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts) and Wells Fargo in their support of gay marriage. How can one boycott all of that? It's madness.

My forum signature reads: "Those who support Marriage Equality are advocating the right to marry, not necessarily the personal belief in it. It’s a fight against discrimination that in no way impedes the free speech, liberty or religion of others." I very much believe that. I think we can all get along. I think deep down we all want to. I also think that's a Christian value, a human value and most importantly a Muppet value. :wink: