Overrated Movies

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
What movies out there do you think are overrated? Here are some of my picks.

1. Up in the Air

Was I watching the same movie the critics were? All I saw in it a typical romantic comedy with a sadder ending in this movie and nothing more. Yeah... this is an awe-inspiring epic, Gene.

The only reason I ended up seeing it on Christmas was because my mom refused to see The Princess and the Frog. Sometimes I look back and want to tell her next time she questions why I like 'kids' stuff' so much, I can just say "You can't tell me Up in the Air is more entertaining than a Bugs Bunny cartoon." Let's just say there was another movie with the word Up in the title that was more deserving of the praise it recieved.

2. Little Shop of Horrors (the musical)

I may get flamed for saying it's overrated but this really is a personal opinion. My school was pretty much obsessed with the movie and the musical that it was based on for over a year after the drama club did it as our musical. While I appreciate the enthuiastic praise and people coming out for the show, people refused to let it go, even completely ignoring the shows we've done since. So basically I've heard enough about Little Shop to never want to hear about it again. It's a fine film, don't get me wrong, but the greatest movie and/or musical ever? Absolutely not.

3. Transformers

Clanging metal for two-and-a-half hours. A government agent stripping down to undies only to get peed on by a robot for no real reason... Megan Fox spending the whole movie posing on motorcycles... why was there any excitement for this movie?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Titanic

Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic

Titanic

And that horrible sports movie that Sandra Bullock undeservedly won an Oscar for. I'm sorry, it belonged to Gabi. Or basically anyone else BUT her. Now she can put Oscar Winner on her resume when she goes back to making horrible popcorn flicks and saccharine trite romantic UNcomedies.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Titanic

Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic

Titanic:coy:
Really?

And that horrible sports movie that Sandra Bullock undeservedly won an Oscar for. I'm sorry, it belonged to Gabi. Or basically anyone else BUT her. Now she can put Oscar Winner on her resume when she goes back to making horrible popcorn flicks and saccharine trite romantic UNcomedies.
LOL. :insatiable:

Also, one movie that seemed SOOO overrated was "The Hangover". I just didn't find it funny.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Any of those low-brow, slapstick, hijinxy, idiotic Will Ferrell movies... other than Elf, that was the ONLY movie he's done that's worth watching... I couldn't even watch Land of the Lost, because he killed it for me... but at least Sid and Marty Krofft learned their lesson from that disaster.

Cars. As much as I love Pixar, this was not one of their better movies, yet it seems like one of their more popular movies... AND, it's getting a sequel.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Okay, well...while I don't agree with Little Shop being on anyone's naughty list, I think it opens the door to a frank and respectful discussion so I'll cut loose a little bit. Woooahahaa!

Titanic - I just didn't care much for the teeny-bopper love story and the digital ship sinking in the ocean. However, I do love Kate Winslet and Kathy Bates.

Forest Gump - I didn't care for 120 minutes of lined-up site-gags thinly tied together with a plot.

Transformers - I fell asleep in this movie. There was no human connection and the robots looks so busy and non-descript it's hard to tell what's going on!

Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland - Beautiful, but Burton has lost all perspective as far as storytelling and has little respect for source material. Let's hope his stop-motion Addams Family comes out better.

Spike Jonze's Where the Wild Things Are - I understood all the levels of this film, but didn't enjoy one frame of it. I wish Disney and Pixar had done that animated film they were experimenting with in the 80's.

Wall-E - Gorgeous and I adore the first half of the film, but it loses itself and becomes way too preachy and clunky. Hey, I'm for the environment and anti-conformist chain stores like everybody else, but that seemed tacked-on. I hope Pixar brings Wall-E back for short subjects.

Happy Feet - A virtually plotless motion capture mess. I like my animated films to be animated! I found the picture jarring and strange. I love penguins, but I don't get this film's appeal.

Polar Express - The kids look like creepy, hollow-shelled zombies. While there are some great sweeping shots in this piece, it ultimately left me cold.

Passion of the Christ - I understood the importance of the film to religious folk, but two hours of brutal torment seems more like an adult film than a spiritual one. I'm really not joking about that.

No flames please.... :embarrassed:

Mupp

Reaction score
To be frank, I really don't think that this thread will turn out well, and its way too negative for my taste.
Embracing negativity (especially on the web) is usually not a good idea

Some people are bound to get rubbed the wrong way here...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Titanic - I just didn't care much for the teeny-bopper love story and the digital ship sinking in the ocean. However, I do love Kate Winslet and Kathy Bates.
Oh! Crap! I forgot to mention Titanic!
But honestly, I'd rather watch Both of the Italian animated Titanic movies together than to ever sit through that monster in its fatso running time. I wish James Cameron and his smugness lost THAT Oscar.
Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland - Beautiful, but Burton has lost all perspective as far as storytelling and has little respect for source material. Let's hope his stop-motion Addams Family comes out better.
I am a fan of Tim Burton... but he's one of those directors that is completely set in his own ways. Johnny Depp and Tim's own wife have to be in EVERY movie (sometimes as love interests... that's almost unsettling), he has to have the same music com poser... the same uniform look for everything. This is a very unfortunate thing that happens to directors over time... even great ones. Look at Spielberg.

I also have to add, as far as Disney movies go, Pocahontas...

I know I mentioned this in another thread, but it is without a doubt one of the worst things Disney had ever done. I'll forgive their long period of lily white skinned people in their 50's-70's live action movies and whatever nasty aspects of Walt's personality there are were and yet to be discovered before I forgive them for having me dragged to that annoyingly over preachy, poorly written, hypocritical, abysmal, dismal, snoozefest.

To me, there are three movies Disney made that I have no love for...

That one
The live action sequel 102 Dalmatians... oh boy! I'm impressed... you made a revenge plot. And we ALL didn't know that Cruella was going to be a bad guy again. oh, and we loved Eric Idle's "I'm hear for the paycheck" annoying smack talking parrot! Almost as much as we loved the wave after wave of dalmatian merchandise you rammed down our throats.
and Dinosaur. That was d-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-llllllllll. It was 90 minutes that passed in 90 days. I think I grew a beard watching that movie. Did anyone even like that boring 90 minute version of a 10 minute Imax nature compilation movie?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score

Forest Gump - I didn't care for 120 minutes of lined-up site-gags thinly tied together with a plot.

Happy Feet - A virtually plotless motion capture mess. I like my animated films to be animated! I found the picture jarring and strange. I love penguins, but I don't get this film's appeal.

Polar Express - The kids look like creepy, hollow-shelled zombies. While there are some great sweeping shots in this piece, it ultimately left me cold.
I agree with these, especially Polar Express.

Napolian Dynamite-I found it just plain stupid and not funny. Then everyone else tried to copy it...

Also, Cars scares me. I find it extremly creepy and disturbing