Overrated Movies

SSLFan

Reaction score
Speaking of talking animals.... I'm just gonna lump these all into one pile..

Live action talking Dog movies. Really. I know 5 year olds can't get enough of dogs talking about butt sniffing and pooping and having sassy back talk and quoting old movies. But these things are the bottom of the barrel. There's NO quality. It's all poop and hydrant jokes. I'm sorry, but I think kids deserve something better than that.
Yeah. As a child I had NO desire to sit through any "talking animal movie"( *cough* *cough* Cats & Dogs *cough* *cough* ). The only exception would have been the live-action Scooby-Doo flicks, but even that's played out now.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The thing that bugs me about Cats and Dogs is that a LOT of the concepts look good... they also look a lot Stolen as I said to myself 10 years ago. but it bogs down it's cleverness with the same old kiddy movie tropes and, frankly, the fact that it indeed feels like they were sitting on the script for 10 years waiting for it to be greenlit. I mean, Hamster Dance references? You KIDDING me? Any Monica Lewinski jokes? Any jokes about Enron?

Scooby-Doo I didn't mind, and enjoyed both, considering the first one was Brady Bunching the entire plot... that is to say, making fun of the show most of the time.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Ratatouille-I've never been able to get through this, it's just a very annoying plot. Maybe if they had a young kid fresh out of cooking school learn how to cook, it would have made the film more believable.

Cars-CGI Nascar, with it's star needing an ego boost all through it.

The majority of Will Ferrell, Jim Carrey and Steve Carell films. Will, Jim and Steve are pigeonholed in most of the roles they've been in, although Steve Carell's Dan in Real Life and Evan Almighty were nice little films. Jim Carrey is only good in serious films(The Truman Show, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind).

The Beatles movie Help!

Usual Suspects-Had its moments, especially Kevin Spacey's performance and ending; but, the other actors fell short with their roles & Benicio Del Toro's mumbling didn't help.

Twilight movies

Pirates of the Caribbean

Robert Downey Jr.'s Sherlock Holmes, Iron Man

Transformers

War, Inc.

G.I. Joe, only thing I liked from the movie is the song Boom Boom Pow by the Black Eyed Peas.

Back to the Future II

Avatar-James Cameron's version of FernGully, on a broader scale

Titanic-Too long, over-blown. Another ego booster for James Cameron 'King of the World!'..LOL Better to rent a dvd Ghosts of the Abyss, exploring the wreckage of the actual ship.

Godfather III-OMG!

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
not a movie per-say but i think all this 3D is highly overrated

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's the deal with 3-D

We ALL know it's a gimmick. It's nothing more and nothing less. But it's a gimmick that Hollywood thinks will save itself, since everyone waits until DVD to watch everything, and then going to red box because it's the cheapest option. As someone who actually likes going to the theater and seeing the film, experiencing it better than on a crummy little TV, I hate that. When they decided to get greedy and race the prices, that was a low blow. They had a wave of hubris when Avatar was an unexpected hit. Now, a good portion of the 3-D movies aren't doing all that well, and I can't really say if TS3 made more in 3-d or regular.

it's a fun gimmick, but only if you go to a cheap enough theater that it doesn't kill you financially. But again, Hollywood thinks this is going to get more people into the seats, as they frequently whine their heads off when attendance is down.

And until 3-D television comes out, they have an edge over Red Box for the lower income people and blu-ray with the higher income people. And frankly, 3-D television is going to spend most of its time trying to keep the medium from becoming obsolete... but that's another thread for another day.

I only really like to see animated movies in 3-D, if offered. But remember, a good movie would work BOTH in 3-D and 2-D equally, 3-D only enhancing the picture. A bad film is 3-D first and foremost.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I know it was said, but Avatar. It was 3 hours and ten minutes too long.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
Titanic

Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic Titanic

Titanic
Totally agree. All the girls in my fifth grade class (I was 10 in 1997, man, I feel old) were obsessed with this movie and gassed on about how cute Leo was (I wasn't into boys then, and Mr. di Caprio still doesn't do anything for me; I prefer men with darker features). But anyway, when I finally saw the movie the summer after with my aunt, I was very unimpressed.

Others:

The Incredibles- another movie that everyone says is awesome that I find myself unimpressed by. I mean, the animation is good, and the action scenes are cool and creative, but I didn't really find myself into either the story or the characters.

A Bug's Life- Okay, maybe it doesn't get a whole lot of credit, but I'm blown away that Cars (which was an excellent movie) is considered Pixar's worst film (and not just by people here, either) and not this movie, which I found to be one of the most annoying movies I've ever sat through.

Napoleon Dynamite- It did get a chuckle out of me, which is more than I can say for other films on this list, but it's really not that great. The fact that my classmates in my senior year of high school quoted it nonstop also got old fast.

Twilight- This is probably the only movie on this list that I actively despise. The books themselves are nothing to write home about, and we aren't given any real reason why these two are in love. Because they both look pretty? That's not exactly deep....

I concur with everyone who said talking animal movies are bad. The only one I really liked was Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey (which came out around 1993), because that wasn't just about toilet humor. It actually made you care about the three animals getting home to their guardians.

Pocahontas (Disney's)- I don't exactly expect movies to give history lessons, but the way this film glossed over, and quite frankly, sugar-coated the truth about American history ticks me off.

Hercules (Disney again)- The music was fun, and the animation was impressive, but there were so many mythological inaccuracies that this mythology nerd couldn't enjoy it.

That is all from me....

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
The Incredibles- another movie that everyone says is awesome that I find myself unimpressed by. I mean, the animation is good, and the action scenes are cool and creative, but I didn't really find myself into either the story or the characters.
Couldn't agree more. I absolutely love Disney, but even that isn't enough to get me interested in a superhero movie.

Twilight- This is probably the only movie on this list that I actively despise. The books themselves are nothing to write home about, and we aren't given any real reason why these two are in love. Because they both look pretty? That's not exactly deep....
I'll admit that I loved the books when I first read them, although after a while it starts to get old when just about every girl in your grade is debating Team Edward vs. Team Jacob.

Pocahontas (Disney's)- I don't exactly expect movies to give history lessons, but the way this film glossed over, and quite frankly, sugar-coated the truth about American history ticks me off.
Well, at least they straightened some things out in the sequel. I wouldn't necessarily say that I hate the movie or anything, though, but I too was annoyed by the historical inaccuracy and stuff.

Hercules (Disney again)- The music was fun, and the animation was impressive, but there were so many mythological inaccuracies that this mythology nerd couldn't enjoy it.
I personally prefer Ancient Egypt over Greek mythology, although I agree with you on those points: Good music, bad research. (Not to mention that they used his Roman name...)

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with Pocahontas being overrated, but not liking the Incredibles because it's a super hero movie when in actuality it's one of the most perfectly crafted super hero movies doesn't make it overrated, it just makes it a genre that doesn't meet everyone's taste. It's kind of like calling Gone with the Wind overrated because you don't like period pieces. There are so many beautifully woven themes from a variety of comics. It's hands-down Pixar's finest film from script and characters to animation and design. Courses in filmmaking and storytelling could be taught based only in the Incredibles. :embarrassed:

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
I have to agree with Pocahontas being overrated, but not liking the Incredibles because it's a super hero movie when in actuality it's one of the most perfectly crafted super hero movies doesn't make it overrated, it just makes it a genre that doesn't meet everyone's taste. It's kind of like calling Gone with the Wind overrated because you don't like period pieces. There are so many beautifully woven themes from a variety of comics. It's hands-down Pixar's finest film from script and characters to animation and design. Courses in filmmaking and storytelling could be taught based only in the Incredibles. :embarrassed:
Remember though, everything on this thread is all strictly opinion of each poster.