Overrated Movies

Drtooth

Reaction score
The rest is really stunning. I wouldn't recommend watching any film for the first time on television with commercial breaks. That is not a fair chance.
Things in theaters really make even the worst movies pop in a way they don't on television. I Agree it wasn't a fair shot, but there's just something about it that could have worked, but just came off strange. I really dug Atlantis and all, but it really would have worked better as a TV series, accidental resemblance to Nadia: Secrets of the Blue Water aside. And it was even going to have a Gargoyles cross over. Plus, Don Novello and the mole guy stole the film from me.

I will say, I didn't care much for Tarzan either. I'd blame that on seeing it on VHS on TV, and I was kinda annoyed Inspector Gadget was undermerchandised (that was the one bright spot with that film). But in an actual critical manner, I think it has the reverse problem of Pocahontas, The Animal characters didn't so much as steal the show as they held the film at gunpoint. I mean, people say Jar Jar Binks was an annoying character, but I never hear anyone complain about Turk. I think she was worse, actually. If there was a little less monkey capering and a little more Tarzan being Tarzan, I think the film would have been much better. But what REALLY drove me nuts... in 2 sequels and a TV show, they didn't even bother to do the Greystroke story. Even Ducktales managed to do it in 30 minutes.

But the most overrated Disney movies? Among others, the live action 101 Dalmatians. Now, Glen Close was delightfully hammy, and there were some genuinely decent moments in the first one... but Roger being a video game designer? Yeah. I forgot. They stopped making music in 1994. But that one kinda meh, the second one was just unneeded on every level. Eric Idle's character was annoying (a feat to do that to such a genuinely funny actor), the whole bit about Cruella just so happening to become evil again... and the worst part. The Merchandising! OMG, the crap they shoveled into Disney Stores. That was when if you didn't like Pooh or Dalmatians, there was nothing there for you. They gave such a cold shoulder to Emperor's New Groove, which whatever you say about it can't be worse than 102 Dalmatians... I remember ENG getting better reviews. Took a year for so much as a Kuzco Bean bag to surface. And what did Disney sell? Pooh dressed up as a Dalmatian! AAAAARRRRGH!