Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Forever Special on 11/21/2009 on CWKids

unclematt

Reaction score
upset I missed it but looking forward to catching a repeat.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
dude- I can't believe I missed this. Well, just didn't get a chance to see it- but hopefully it'll either be repeated on TV or be on Youtube or something... dare I hope for a DVD?:halo::attitude::search:

Drtooth

Reaction score
dude- I can't believe I missed this. Well, just didn't get a chance to see it- but hopefully it'll either be repeated on TV or be on Youtube or something... dare I hope for a DVD?:halo::attitude::search:
Here's the deal... it will be repeated as a 3-part miniseries over the next 3 weeks starting this Saturday at 10:30 AM Eastern. So you can see all three parts of the movie in half hour bits.

I noticed in the 2000 Turtles series, the Turtles never talked about pizza. The 80's Turtles always did non-stop pizza jokes in their show.

Also, in the 2000 series, Raphael was a tough guy with an attitude while the 80's Raphael was a smart mouth who always talked to the camera.
The Pizza thing was something they came up with only for the original cartoon... it was integrated into the comic book to some extent, but the truth is the original turtles had a preference for Chinese Food! In fact, they used that in an episode of the 2k3 series. But I did notice some pizza jokes at the way beginning of the series, not to mention the fact Pizza was all over the 2007 TMNT movie. And a LOT of merchandise (video games and action figures) of this era have kept a lot of references to pizza intact.

As for Raph, he was always moody. Especially in the comics... I think of him having a snarky sarcastic mouth (something Rob Paulsen is great at, look at Yakko Warner) as an outlet for his anger in the older series. And when it comes down to it, I'm thinking the new series characteristics are based partially on the comics, but more on the original movie series versions of the turtles.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I might as well lay in my .02 cents after watching the special several times. By the way, the special is on youtube.

I'll start with the bad points:

The 80's turtles and the villains were portrayed as incompetent idiots. I know the 80's show had a lot of cheesy-ness to it, but the four turtles weren't that goofy, well Michelangelo was. But Leonardo, Donatello, and Raphael had Michelangelo's laid back goofy personality. When they all went down to their lair from the elevator, they all laughed. When 03 Leonardo wanted a suggestion about how to stop the Technodrome, he looked at the 80's turtles and said besides going out for pizza. 03 Raphael said the 80's turtles can't help do anything because they don't have any brains, to which 80's Raphael said we resemble that remark, and all four 80's turtles laughed.

Sorry but the 80's turtles were never mentally challenged, well maybe Michalangelo.

It got so bad that even the 03 Mikey asked them if they're ever serious. That's saying something when the 03 Mike gets mad.

Now for Shredder and Krang. Did they decide to not fight back against the 03 Shredder and his daughter? Do they not care that their Technodrome is being turned up side down? In the 4th season episode "The Foot Soldiers Are Revoluting" Shredder and Krang don't take kindly of a new super enhanced foot soldier telling them what to do or that he's taking over the Technodrome. In fact Shredder fights the foot soldier. Also in "Revenge Of The Fly" when Baxter Stockman comes back, he and his computer alien friend take over the Technodrome and lock Shredder, Krang, Bebop, and Rocksteady in a room and Shredder wants to get out of the room and gain control of the Technodrome again. The writers for the special made Shredder and Krang a bunch of idiots.

Also, how come the the 80's Shredder didn't try to fight the 03 Shredder and his daughter? How come Krang didn't put up a forcefield around Karai when she broke into the Technodrome. Krang has done it before, especially with people like Baxter the fly. Again, the writers wanted to make the 80's villains look like buffoons.

Also at the end, Shredder and Krang say they're going to get everyone with a giggle ray? I know Shredder and Krang used all sorts of different ways to try to eliminate the turtles and take over, but a giggle ray? The writers again were telling the audience the 80's Shredder and Krang are ridiculous compared to the 03 Shredder.

03 Raphael always making remarks about the 80's turtles. He called the Technodrome a golfball on wheels, called the turtle party wagon a clown car, and called them yahoos because of having initials on their belts, and called the 80's turtles home wacky land. At one point I wanted someone to kill the 03 Raphael, just so he could shut up. Got tired of his attitude. He's like Wolverine in the X-Men.

Now the good:

It was nice to see the 80's turtles, Shredder, Krang, Rocksteady, Bebop, Splinter, April, the turtle van, the turtle blimp, channel 6 news building, the turtles lair, Irma, the Technodrome, etc.

The first room where 80's Shredder is at when the computer tells him he's in another dimension is the exact same room where viewers first see Shredder in the first episode of the 80's show.

Rocksteady and Bebop actually save the day.

The 80's turtles saying they save April at least once a day.

The classic black and white turtles. They even scared the crap out of the 03 Shredder.

And of course, 80's Raphael breaking the 4th wall on three seperate occasions. All three scenes have Hun in them trying to figure out who exactly Raphael is talking and looking to with the third time Hun actually asking why he keeps on doing that and who is he talking to. The 80's turtles and villains know they're a cartoon show where as the 03 turtles and villains haven't figured that out yet.

Overal, the writers pretty much said the 80's turtles show was a goofy series and that the turtles and Shredder and Krang can't hold a candle to the 03 turtles and 03 Shredder. That's the message I got from watching the special.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I haven't seen it yet, but I take offense if the 80s Turtle cast is treated so badly. Yes, it had mounds of cheese, but there were really good episodes too. The things that really irritated me was the seemingly constant color screw ups and voice screw ups.

Anyway, Tokka and Rhazar were in the 80s cartoon at some point (obviously, after the second movie).

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
I loved it...growing up with the turtles if this was to be their final goodbye this is the way to do it

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I haven't seen it yet, but I take offense if the 80s Turtle cast is treated so badly. Yes, it had mounds of cheese, but there were really good episodes too. The things that really irritated me was the seemingly constant color screw ups and voice screw ups.

Anyway, Tokka and Rhazar were in the 80s cartoon at some point (obviously, after the second movie).
Episode with Tokka and Rhazar is called "Dirk Savage: Mutant Hunter". It's in the 7th season.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Now for Shredder and Krang. Did they decide to not fight back against the 03 Shredder and his daughter? Do they not care that their Technodrome is being turned up side down? In the 4th season episode "The Foot Soldiers Are Revoluting" Shredder and Krang don't take kindly of a new super enhanced foot soldier telling them what to do or that he's taking over the Technodrome. In fact Shredder fights the foot soldier. Also in "Revenge Of The Fly" when Baxter Stockman comes back, he and his computer alien friend take over the Technodrome and lock Shredder, Krang, Bebop, and Rocksteady in a room and Shredder wants to get out of the room and gain control of the Technodrome again. The writers for the special made Shredder and Krang a bunch of idiots.
Honsetly I think it was because he figured the 03 Shedder knew what he was doing also.

Also, how come the the 80's Shredder didn't try to fight the 03 Shredder and his daughter? How come Krang didn't put up a forcefield around Karai when she broke into the Technodrome. Krang has done it before, especially with people like Baxter the fly. Again, the writers wanted to make the 80's villains look like buffoons.
Well in you do have to take in account that the 1987 Shedder didn't want to fight the 03 Shedder, he actually wanted to be his ally. I also think that's part of the reason when he let the 03 Shedder take over the technodrome, because again he knew what he was doing. Unlike the 1987 Baxter Stockmen, he somewhat admired, respected and, let's be honest, feared the 03 Shedder. This is just my opinion, but I figured the 1987 Shedder and Krang thought they were in control and were just being careful and "minding themselves with the 03 Shedder, that is up until the 03 Shedder had them imprisoned by there own Bebop and Rocksteady.

I agree they made the 1987 Shedder and Krang look much weaker than the 03 Shedder, but to be honest some of your points, I think you were looking a little too much into.

03 Raphael always making remarks about the 80's turtles. He called the Technodrome a golfball on wheels, called the turtle party wagon a clown car, and called them yahoos because of having initials on their belts, and called the 80's turtles home wacky land. At one point I wanted someone to kill the 03 Raphael, just so he could shut up. Got tired of his attitude. He's like Wolverine in the X-Men.
Overal, the writers pretty much said the 80's turtles show was a goofy series and that the turtles and Shredder and Krang can't hold a candle to the 03 turtles and 03 Shredder. That's the message I got from watching the special.
To be fair, as Drtooth pointed out, they also made the 03 turtles looked goofy and weak when they were face to face with the original Mirage comic turtles. Not to mention the original Shedder was beaten so easy.

You're right the 80s turtles took the most of the jokes, though. I do agree that they made all the 80s turtles look like as the 03 Raph said "it's like having five Mikeys." But at least they still showed some of their old traits, Donatello was still smart, just more of a "cartoonie" smart than the 03 Don and Leo still showed signs of being very brave, like agreeing to take on the 03 Shedder even after being told how much more dangerous he was than the 87 Shedder.

Yes Tokka and Rhazar did appear in the original 80s cartoon, but it should be noted that they were very different from the way they were in the movie. In the movie they were protrayed as babies. In the cartoon however, they were very smart, especially Rhazar. They also weren't working for Shedder in the cartoon and seemed to be pretty good guys and best friends.

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
Every time the 80s turtles were starting to get on my last nerve, they came back and did one great action to redeem themselves. Whether it was dropping the giant ventilation fan on Hun, plowing dozens of Foot Soldiers down with a bolder or the exploding ninja stars. Come to think of it, 80s Don had all the best parts.

I still hate when they started crying and hugging 03 Raph after he saved their life. That was torture to watch.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Honsetly I think it was because he figured the 03 Shedder knew what he was doing also.

Well in you do have to take in account that the 1987 Shedder didn't want to fight the 03 Shedder, he actually wanted to be his ally. I also think that's part of the reason when he let the 03 Shedder take over the technodrome, because again he knew what he was doing. Unlike the 1987 Baxter Stockmen, he somewhat admired, respected and, let's be honest, feared the 03 Shedder. This is just my opinion, but I figured the 1987 Shedder and Krang thought they were in control and were just being careful and "minding themselves with the 03 Shedder, that is up until the 03 Shedder had them imprisoned by there own Bebop and Rocksteady.

I agree they made the 1987 Shedder and Krang look much weaker than the 03 Shedder, but to be honest some of your points, I think you were looking a little too much into.

You're right the 80s turtles took the most of the jokes, though. I do agree that they made all the 80s turtles look like as the 03 Raph said "it's like having five Mikeys." But at least they still showed some of their old traits, Donatello was still smart, just more of a "cartoonie" smart than the 03 Don and Leo still showed signs of being very brave, like agreeing to take on the 03 Shedder even after being told how much more dangerous he was than the 87 Shedder.
Shredder and Krang might be pushovers sometimes, but they're competent villains who try to come up with all sorts of plans in taking over Earth and getting ride of the turtles. The writers just take that in effect. I don't think Shredder and Krang planned on letting the 03 Shredder take over their Technodrome. The writers just made them look weak and silly and let the 03 Shredder be the main villain.

The way I see it is Shredder and Krang could have thrown the 03 Shredder and his daughter in the dimensional portal into Dimension X in the middle of a battle field where Krang's Rock Soldiers are firing. That would be the end of the 03 Shredder and his daughter right there. The writers could have done that and told the audience that those guys don't mess around and know what they're doing.

Shredder and Krang are smarter than they appeared in the special and are smart enough to not let the 03 Shredder take over the Technodrome, despite maybe the 80's Shredder wanting to work together with the 03 Shredder to take over the Earth. As stated throughout the 80's series, Shredder and Krang don't trust anyone including each other.

Again the writers were just using the 80's turtles and villains as punching bags.