Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Now all we need is a theatrical Sesame film, and were all set
Well, I assume you m3ean something outside of Kidtoon cinemas. Yeah. I'm both surprised and not surprised that EIG wasn't that big a hit. On the one hand, it seemed like the perfect money making idea.... a film all about Elmo. But then again, most of the main audience is too young for their parents to wanna take them to a movie. Ever seen little kids in a theater? NOT PRETTY!

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
I imagine Angelina Jolie, should she be cast in the film, will be just as much the "star" as Charles Durning was in "The Muppet Movie", if it is indeed more than a cameo.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I still think it would be better if she were a cameo, and the villain went to a character actor or something.

I still say Ricky Gervaise (SP?) from the British Office would make a great, dispicable villain. He's capable of nasty fake sincerity... and what better villain to have put the theater in jeopardy than someone slimey like that?

Luke

Reaction score
To me, although i really feel the Angelina story has no credibility whatsoever, i'm just happy that some journalist or publicist somewhere has thought the idea of associating Angelina with this new Muppet project is a believable idea, and whatsmore the mass mainstream media is printing it .... an A-List big movie star (and a serious guest star, not some Jessica Simpson or Hulk Hogan) in the next Muppet movie. It just shows that this whole project is being thought of in the right ballpark as it should be. This really could be like old times!

Hopefully whoever we do end up getting (Angelina or no Angelina) it will be someone on a similar scale - but i do also agree that any cameos shouldn't be on the level where the main star is the human and not the Muppets. It needs to be someone big, but not overbearingly big.

The 11th UrRu

Reaction score
re

Count me in for an Alan Rickman villian...

11 posts till the thread hits 1000!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Yes, Alan Rickman is the kind of actor they need. A good character actor who can perform a role and not outshine the Muppets.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well, I assume you m3ean something outside of Kidtoon cinemas. Yeah. I'm both surprised and not surprised that EIG wasn't that big a hit. On the one hand, it seemed like the perfect money making idea.... a film all about Elmo. But then again, most of the main audience is too young for their parents to wanna take them to a movie. Ever seen little kids in a theater? NOT PRETTY!
I dunno, the parents of my generation survived taking us to the Care Bears and My Little Pony 80's movies. It's not that unheard of :smile:.
I think they just thought it would be a throw away direct to video type movie...

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I wonder how involved the Jim Henson Company will be involved. Are they still in the deal with helping them make movies and such? I think that if that is the case then maybe Brian Henson and Jason Segal might become good friends and work together more.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I dunno, the parents of my generation survived taking us to the Care Bears and My Little Pony 80's movies. It's not that unheard of :smile:.
I think they just thought it would be a throw away direct to video type movie...
That was a different time too. Movies were cheaper. Among other things, the Pony and Care Bear generation was a little bit older than the Elmo fan generation. See, Elmo's fans are about 3-4 maybe. You just can't bring kids to the theater that young and expect them to sit still. Pony and Care Bears was more of a 4-7 type deal.

But our generation loved films that were unique and whatever. This generation...not so much, because they choose what they like & dislike so early in life and stick with it.
I don't agree so much with that in this topic, so much as it seems Hasbro had a lot more money to make their toyetic cartoons into movies. And let's not forget that some porduction companies had more confidence about putting stuff in the theaters (since DTV films were virtually unthought of).

That's it. The DTV. No wonder why they gave Heathcliff a "movie" that was just episodes of the TV show spliced together. Had the DTV been perfected, movies like Care Bears and Ponies and stuff like that would have gone that way. it's a surprising money maker.

Plus, I doubt (back to EIG) parents wanted to pay 10 bucks for their kids to scream about how loud the movie was (trust me), and run around the theater, when they could wait for the DVD/VHS and have them just run around the house.

Either that or the main movie audience had a 5 minute attention span.

Status
Not open for further replies.