Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I suppose it's the word "starring" that is concerning some fans. I think it just means she'll have a cameo. Details tend to get lost in the press. Some releases still think the Henson Company still owns the Muppets, some think Disney is releasing the Fraggle Rock picture and some think "live action" Fraggles means people in Fraggle costumes. I'm certain this is just a cameo for Angelina Jolie. And with her, there could always be Brad Pitt, and with him there's always Clooney and other pals that might want to join in for *brief cameos* like in the original Muppet Movie. That would be fantastic!
I like Angy here, but I DRAW THE LINE (this line to be precise __________________________________ ) at Brad Pitt. Never cared for him at all. Clooney? meh... maybe.

The Muppet Movie did it right: The cameos were not out-shining the Muppets. They were cameos, plain and simple secondary or tertiary characters played by famous people. They do not need someone to carry the film for The Muppets. Let the Muppets be the stars of the film and the cameos be the background characters played by famous folk like the good ol' days.
Aye! That's the logic I'm hoping is here. A Muppet films shouldn't star anyone BUT the muppets. That's the problem I had with MCC. Seemed like the entire film focused on Michael Cain... well.... it was because he played Scrooge, so that's why. But the Muppets shouldn't play second or third in their own films. Something that these 2 writers want to get away from.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I still don't see where everyone's getting the idea that Jolie is going to be heavily featured in the film? The information is ambiguous at best and she's not officially locked in yet. I think there's just been a misinterpretation of the word "starring" in the press clips.

While Pitt, Clooney and company might not be my favorite actors it is important to consider that as brief cameos go they are part of today's top Hollywood movie stars. They help lend credibility to the Muppets as the big stars in their golden days did. They also pull in an audience that might not already be sold on the concept = good thing. Of course all of these casting choices are good things as long as they are kept as *brief cameos* and nothing more. Personally I don't care for Kevin Costner, but if he were to join the cameo line up I'd be pleased for the simple fact that they could get him to show up for a one-liner. And a choice like him or Pitt is a heck of a lot better than some cast off from American Idol or High School Musical.

As for a villain - I would love for Grodin to be the main heavy. Character actors, rather than top movie stars, tend to work better in those roles.

Beauregard

Reaction score
As for a villain - I would love for Grodin to be the main heavy. Character actors, rather than top movie stars, tend to work better in those roles.
Hmmm...I can see Grodin in the movie...but it wouldn't make sence (cannonically) for him to actually be Nicky Holiday...

If you want character acting, I'd love to see Geoffrey Rush as a badguy...Or as a cameo.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And a choice like him or Pitt is a heck of a lot better than some cast off from American Idol or High School Musical.
Heck, I don't wanna see those types on Sesame Street, let alone a muppet film. I really hope Disney leaves them alone, and lets them do their own thing with the film... we wouldn't want a repeat of MFS in any aspect (though I felt Jeff Tambor was great in it).

Dispite the fact I never liked the term character actor (aren't all actors supposed to play characters?) I agree with that completely. There has never been a villain in a muppet film I didn't like. Charles Durning, Charlie Grodin, Dabney Coleman (he was sort of a villain, right?), The Sleeze Brothers (or whatever they were from Follow that Bird), Mandy Patankin (in EIG), Tim Curry, Michael Caine (if you can call Scrooge a full fledged villain), Jeff Tambor, Joan Cusack..... That's what was missing from OZ. It was a refreshing experiment to see Piggy play a villain, sure... but you miss out on great villain moments when the Muppets play against themselves.

GuySmileyfan

Reaction score
I wonder if they give Kermit a tap dance number. Besides Happy Feet I mean.

Luke

Reaction score
I still don't see where everyone's getting the idea that Jolie is going to be heavily featured in the film? The information is ambiguous at best and she's not officially locked in yet. I think there's just been a misinterpretation of the word "starring" in the press clips.
I wouldn't even go far to think its true,the news agency that came from is an entertainment one well known for inventing stories based on other news. Regardless, im sure they talk to lots of people - but they probably arent even at that stage yet.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I wouldn't even go far to think its true,the news agency that came from is an entertainment one well known for inventing stories based on other news. Regardless, im sure they talk to lots of people - but they probably arent even at that stage yet.
Yeah, for all you know, it could just be a way of getting some free publicity for her new movie. Kinda like her marriage to Brad Pitt was for Mr. and Mrs. Smith...

:zany: *gets pelted with penguins and tomatoes*

I'm kidding! I'm kidding!

Beauregard

Reaction score
Is it just my imagination, or has Ange been on the IMDB hotlist of news every single day this week doing something, or protesting something, or brushing her hair...Her publistists are on OVERDRIVE people!

Status
Not open for further replies.