How much buying power is present here

Reevz1977

Reaction score
I have to agree again. They shouldn't be catering to the lowest common denominator here. They should be catering to the high end collector.

If I buy a ceramic Disney figurine and I drop it, they're not going to do anything about it. If someone is careless enough to rip off Gonzo's nose, there shouldn't be any recourse.

Should MR replace the guy's Animal whose cats tore him apart? I feel horrible for the guy, but that's not MR's responsibility any more than it would be to fix Gonzo.

I know Travis was basically worried about bad PR and dealing with angry customers... but people are going to do stupid things no matter how you build it. So why not just do it right?

:stick_out_tongue:
LOL, that was me with the cats and I do know MR ain't gonna fix him:sympathy: I have however ask MR if I can BUY some feathers from them to stick back in and I do accept full responsibily. But I completely take on board WOE comments and wouldn't think to blame anyone else for my stupidness (for anyone who wants to know why I let the cats have him, I was decorating the room I usually keep him in and put him in another cos I didn't want him to get damaged:stick_out_tongue: ) These are not for the everyday consumer and shouldn't be 'an interpretation' under the guise of a replica.

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
I know Travis was basically worried about bad PR and dealing with angry customers... but people are going to do stupid things no matter how you build it. So why not just do it right?

Cause people are not going to pay for something that is going to deteorate over time and then throw it away. I know I,m not goint to spend 300 dollars for something I know is not going to lastore than five years, that's for sure!

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Cause people are not going to pay for something that is going to deteorate over time and then throw it away. I know I,m not goint to spend 300 dollars for something I know is not going to lastore than five years, that's for sure!
Then I guess you'll be throwing Gonzo away when his eyelids and the inside of his mouth rot in five years. Geez, too bad.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The nose really isn't bugging me as much as I thought it would. Most of the time it can be overlooked, but sometimes the light catches it in an unflattering way.

Here's a picture I posted in the other thread. A MEETING OF THE GONZOS.

I doubt another Gonzo will be released for many reasons. This is it. He is the least accurate replica, but d***it, he is my favorite so far and the most fun. The only unkind words I can say about this release is in the photo department. Their photo team seems to keep taking pictures of these Muppets like they would some stiff statue or a box of Tide. If Gonzo doesn't move units it won't be merely a nose issue - much of it has to do with the poorly photographed promotional pictures. No matter what the lighting or position, I just can't get a bad shot of this weirdo! :concern:

Luke

Reaction score
Then I guess you'll be throwing Gonzo away when his eyelids and the inside of his mouth rot in five years. Geez, too bad.

LOL, i think you have a point there. I'm really not sure how best to store my Animal. Kermit should be ok though.

I will say that i have been impressed with Jamies photography, Gonzo doesn't look bad at all from a distance and angle when lit properly - i am almost sold on him. In a group display i think there would be no worries. I have seen some pics elsewhere face on and lit badly though that have made him look completely different. It may bug me having to look at the snozzle close up, but i understand there is an added upside of him being more fun to pose.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
The sad truth is, nothing lasts forever, unless you store it under museum conditions, and even then, things like the original Star Spangled Banner flag, the Statue of Liberty and the Mona Lisa have to be restored every so often.

I have a Jerry Mahoney ventriloquist doll from the 50's. I always took very good care of my toys as a child. I kept him in the original box, stored him out of heat and out of sunlight. One time, when he was probably about 30, I took him out during a move. His head, which was made out of a composite material that was used during the period, was "crazed", meaning the veneer had cracks running all through it. There was nothing I could have done different to make him last longer.

I would rather have had a Gonzo that was a true authentic replica that lasted somewhere between 5 - 10 years (although I think it probably could have lasted longer than that) than have the one they made... that STILL has parts that can rot.

Now, Travis seems to be saying that the reason they didn't use foam for the nose was they were afraid someone would tear it. Oh, well, what's done is done. Maybe down the line, after 8 to 10 characters are out, they'll revisit Gonzo and make a special edition that is correct. I think I'll hold out for that.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
LOL, i think you have a point there. I'm really not sure how best to store my Animal. Kermit should be ok though.

I will say that i have been impressed with Jamies photography, Gonzo doesn't look bad at all from a distance and angle when lit properly - i am almost sold on him. In a group display i think there would be no worries. I have seen some pics elsewhere face on and lit badly though that have made him look completely different. It may bug me having to look at the snozzle close up, but i understand there is an added upside of him being more fun to pose.
You are right about the straight-on pictures. You will note I keep taking side shots until the pupil material arrives for my revision. I am convinced the sort of detailed eye focus needed for Gonzo cannot be manufactured – it must be individually placed by the skilled hand of an artist or puppet builder, but it could be a heck of a lot better than this.

On the nose issue - here's my uninformed opinion on happened:
Disney wouldn't green-light the foam nose as it was or in a form that would rapidly degrade over time. Instead of focusing on a semi-soft hollow plastic mold that could be airbrushed and textured, all expense went to the netting, failed flocking, alternate foams, sealants and finally the netting again. The only way that it could have looked nicer and been approved by the Mouse was if they'd pooled all the money toward the plastic solution from the beginning.

To be honest, I don't know about the lid foam. Apparently such a small portion passed the age testing while the larger nose piece failed.

It's still a beautiful piece. The definitive Gonzo product that (in my opinion after having it in person) surpasses the Gonzo figures (that I helped design). I can understand and support fans not getting him. I'm just glad to have mine. Downright giddy.

It appears Travis has more say with the Muppets post-Gonzo so that can only help. It is my feeling that the weirdo just got caught in design limbo and ultimately had to be released. As is he gets 4.25/5 Camillas from me. :concern:

Luke

Reaction score
You are right about the straight-on pictures. You will note I keep taking side shots until the pupil material arrives for my revision. I am convinced the sort of detailed eye focus needed for Gonzo cannot be manufactured – it must be individually placed by the skilled hand of an artist or puppet builder, but it could be a heck of a lot better than this.
Yeah i think changing the eyes is going to give him a lot more character, as long as any pics are taken slightly from a distance to avoid the nose texture looking bad. I saw the pic on the main page and i think that is the best example of how these should ideally be grouped to show their best profiles.

As for the material - i think cared for it while last quite a while but big or small any amount may randomly deteriorate. The thing about that though is that with these you still have the basic non-foam photo puppet - and there are puppet restorers around here who can easily restore the other little foam bits over time.

MuppetCaper

Reaction score

Minor repairs is really nothing for me. I have experiance in carving and have done this kinda stuff for other companies. I could also do a foam nose considering the foam type that Terry used is quite expensive. I noticed Gonzo's whole head is made out of that nerf foam and that means replacing the whole inside of his head as well as the nose. That's a lot of work, a lot of time and money. Just maybe when the price is right on these Gonzo's, I will do a foam nose. But right now, the price is not right. So I will be happy with what he has. As for the Eyes and the nouth, that's little stuff that can be fixed! :wink: