Master Replicas Gonzo Photo Puppet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke

Reaction score
I, myself, won't be skipping out on Gonzo. I think MR is doin what they can. Plus, we haven't heard of anything in awhile so maybe they're working on something.
Honestly though, I think Kermit and Fozzie are a better pair than Kermit and Gonzo. I see no reason to not buy Fozzie just because you're not happy with Gonzo.
I don't think there would be time now to work on him, i think thats what the solution was and they didn't take much notice of (or spend time acknowledging) the people buying these. I will buy Fozzie (if he happens, fingers crossed!) but pass on Gonzo. I wish Gonzo was a real "replica" and not a stuffed toy as i'd gladly hand over the money but it doesn't look like it'll happen that way. I think anybody who is even just a casual fan will see that Gonzo is not right and it'll probably show in the sales, so they've gotta hope really there's enough dedicated collectors who will want the whole group regardless. I agree that Palisades would have never passed this, and i doubt the Henson people around at that time would have passed it either - seems like the new people doing quality control for the Muppets will pass anything!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'm still very curious about the Gonzo replica. There appears to be a chasm between the creative and business sides at Master Replicas and we've been mostly left out of the loop in areas that could help. I think they do read around here.

I know that it took Ken Lilly campaigning for certain standards with the Palisades line. Henson wasn't always easy to deal with either. There were some Henson people who didn't even want to consider anything but a bright blue beak for Gonzo! :concern: It just depends which representative is on call for a particular task. Most companies don't campaign for quality or likeness issues at all. MR has done a bit of that, but it appears to have come down to the nose material. Concerns over likeness, durability, accuracy and perception seem to point in different directions. Lets hope they figured something out.

I will be buying a Gonzo. I just hope I won't have to mess with him too much. About to order my Animal! :halo:

On the Animal point for a moment - Animal's eye-spacing in Muppets From Space seems to be separated more than I remember. It's not as far as the current MR replica, but it's enough to notice. Just thought I'd put that out there. And I hope they'll put some worthy pictures up of Animal, along with some new ones of Gonzo!

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
I am still going to order Gonzo otherwise. We all know that some things need to be overlooked and not everything is going to turn out perfect. I'd say if you want perfection, make your own. As far As Fozzie, he is coming out for next year according to MR and I will be ordering him as well in the spring. :concern: :embarrassed:

muppetperson

Reaction score
I don't think there would be time now to work on him, i think thats what the solution was and they didn't take much notice of (or spend time acknowledging) the people buying these. I will buy Fozzie (if he happens, fingers crossed!) but pass on Gonzo. I wish Gonzo was a real "replica" and not a stuffed toy as i'd gladly hand over the money but it doesn't look like it'll happen that way. I think anybody who is even just a casual fan will see that Gonzo is not right and it'll probably show in the sales, so they've gotta hope really there's enough dedicated collectors who will want the whole group regardless. I agree that Palisades would have never passed this, and i doubt the Henson people around at that time would have passed it either - seems like the new people doing quality control for the Muppets will pass anything!
There really isnt that much wrong with Gonzo at all! It just comes down to nose texture and color(which varries on the original anyway) and the color of his suit, which isnt that much of an issue.The current real Gonzo's fur is almost black, which I dont like and his nose is pinkish(skin color).

Telly

Reaction score
I've noticed that too MuppetPerson. I watched Muppets From Space a few weeks ago and commented to my roommate about how Gonzo's nose was a flesh color. Then not long after that I watched The Muppet Christmas Carol with a friend and told him how in just a few years time, Gonzo's nose went from blue to pink.

Luke

Reaction score
There really isnt that much wrong with Gonzo at all! It just comes down to nose texture and color(which varries on the original anyway) and the color of his suit, which isnt that much of an issue.The current real Gonzo's fur is almost black, which I dont like and his nose is pinkish(skin color).
With the sock nose it just makes the overall look wrong, it could be the best Gonzo in the world but with that nose it'll just look like a soft toy and it really stands out unless you see photos taken from a distance. I agree other products haven't been perfect in the past but lets remember this is supposed to be a "replica" made from similar materials. Some people may be very forgiving towards these replicas but i think the whole point of doing them is that they are near professional versions and it should be kept that way. Animal was very good once posed properly (needed a better eye position and more hair on upper lip, but overall excellent), and the Fozzie proto is superb so far so i'd rather they would do things perfect or not at all.

Hat Sharpener

Reaction score
i'd rather they would do things perfect or not at all.
Yup.

Ironically, if they hadn't billed these as "replicas" (and if they weren't charging several hundred dollars), I would probably be excited by this large posable stuffed Gonzo.

However, looking at the photos of Kermit around my parents house at Christmas, it looks like the Frog himself was there with my family, and it brings so much joy everytime I look at them. From the pictures so far, it seems highly unlikely anyone would mistake Gonzo for the real thing.

I suppose I will just wait and see what the photos look like from the people here who DO buy Gonzo...

I guess my point is, that if I'm going to spend a thousand dollars, I want a great set of products, and in my mind that is either a set of photo-perfect Kermit-Fozzie-Gonzo, or simply a photo-perfect Kermit, which I've already got, and is more that I could have ever dreamed of a few years back.

If Gonzo looks great, I'll buy Fozzie too. If not I won't. It's a package deal for me...

Ok, I'm repeating myself now... time for bed.

- Derek

Reevz1977

Reaction score
With the sock nose it just makes the overall look wrong, it could be the best Gonzo in the world but with that nose it'll just look like a soft toy and it really stands out unless you see photos taken from a distance. I agree other products haven't been perfect in the past but lets remember this is supposed to be a "replica" made from similar materials. Some people may be very forgiving towards these replicas but i think the whole point of doing them is that they are near professional versions and it should be kept that way. Animal was very good once posed properly (needed a better eye position and more hair on upper lip, but overall excellent), and the Fozzie proto is superb so far so i'd rather they would do things perfect or not at all.
I wholeheartedly agree. I keep leaving it a while and then revisiting the Gonzo proto images hoping I was harsh in my judgement...I wasn't. It seems to get WORSE everytime I see the blue fella. I had no issues with Animal, my eyes were perfectly placed and nearly two months on I still can't stop looking at him. Kermit had a few problems, the collar for one looks & feels so darn cheap, his body seems way too short and his actual eyes too close together (quite noticably) BUT I can live with these imperfections. With Gonzo on the otherhand, it may well always be the case that I spend my time thinking of what could of been, instead of feeling content - which considering the price of these should not be the case.:boo:

muppetguy

Reaction score
Have a little more faith...

Guys, have a little more faith in Master Replicas. Alot of people were bashing Kermit and more so, Animal, before they came out. When people got the acctual product, they were all very happy. I'm sure Master Replicas will do a perfectly fine job on Gonzo. Proto's are proto's. Let's just look foward to seeing members pics with Animal and Kermit with Gonzo and wait as patiently as possible for Fozzie and Piggy. Bye the way, any News from Terry, we haven't heard from him in a while? :concern: :embarrassed: :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.