Favorite Muppets Tonight Characters!

goodrastus

Reaction score
Pepe was the one that stood out for me and I really love him as part of the gang.

I really liked Bobo, Johnny, Sal and Clifford (as I hadn't seen him previously).

Spamela I quite liked for a new female character but she was more of a send-up.

Randy and Andy were great designs but I couldn't stand them as characters. And don't get me started on Dr Phil or Bill the Bubble Guy - lol

A mixed bag really for me but some episodes were gems - love the Pierce Brosnan episode!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys... Couple of quick questions, maybe anytimepally could help best.
In what episode of Muppets Tonight does Sal profess his practice of boneology?
And when was his name changed from "Sal Manilla" to "Sal Minella"?
Hope to get some answers soon. Thanks.

anytimepally

Reaction score
Hi guys... Couple of quick questions, maybe anytimepally could help best.
In what episode of Muppets Tonight does Sal profess his practice of boneology?
And when was his name changed from "Sal Manilla" to "Sal Minella"?
Hope to get some answers soon. Thanks.
As for the "Manilla" - "Minella" change, I'm not sure.. I always spelled in Manilla until I noticed it spelled "Minella" in the credits of one of the recent movies.. I'm not sure which

Sal's Boneology was in Epsiode 201, featuring The Artist Formerly Known as Prince

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Randall... Credits, yes, that'd explain it. After all, that's why Polly Lobster's now entered as Bad Polly instead.
Night all.

Blind Peeeeew

Reaction score
Favorite Muppets Tonight characters? That's a tough one... So many. I don't think there WAS a character I didn't like. No Scooters in this show.

Phil Van Neuter is my favorite Muppet, so he takes the cake. He's kind of like a mix between Vincent Price and Rip Taylor, and I always thought he was one of the least frightening characters that could ever host a horror anthology series.

Clifford and Rizzo are fantastic, and they have that Kermit and Fozzie style relationship. Clifford was really the only person I could ever imagine taking over as host after Kermit. And Rizzo has a side of avarice to him that is quite appealing (didn't work in later movies when they tried to do the same for Pepe).

Bill the Bubble Guy. Nuff said.

Johnny Fiama is the perfect example of extreme narcissism meets lack of talent. And his only fan in the world, Sal. God. Could there be a cuter, more adorable bouncer in the world? You just want to cuddle him before he knocks your teeth out.

Sam the Eagle really had some show stealing moments. It reminds me of how enjoyable he was in TMS. Nothing beats a man with no sense of humor surrounded by insanity.

Clueless Morgan and Bad Polly were a treat to see again. I fell in love with them in MTI and always wanted to see more. Casting them as bartenders was a stroke of genius. And man, is Clueless a good singer or what?

Nigel is hilarious as well. A caffeine addict with a personality that changes as often as the skits on the show. I really enjoyed the nameless Control Room Assistant that would use shortened versions of the sketch names as he would cue the sketches with his flat voice. Anyone know who I’m talking about?

I’ve really grown to hate Pepe in all the new Muppet films and such, so I forgot when I re-watched MT how lovable he was back then. He’s just a cute little guy trying to come up with a good act on the show with his big partner. And their material is so terrible.

Andy and Randy Pig are examples of extreme incompetence and innocence at the same time. They are so adorable in their naiveté. They are the best with Sam Eagle.

And finally, Spamela Hamderson, one of my all time favorites. I think it’s funny how she is the well-loved, beautiful female star on the show, but she is completely oblivious to it. It’s like she has become what Miss Piggy has always tried so hard to be (while failing miserably), without even trying.

Gah, this was such a good show...