The Chipmunks' Triumphant Return

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there haven't been many family films released in a while... maybe that's why the Chipmunks are still playing? In order to keep an option for family entertainment, it is still playing.

Just my thoughts.
What about The Waterhorse, or that chronicle about a spiderweb?

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
But the Waterhorse came out in December not long after Alvin and the Chipmunks came out. And I've never even heard of that second movie. Maybe they aren't mainstream enough for kids' tastes? (I'm grasping at straws here.:embarrassed:)

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Hey Snowth, The Spiderwick Chronicles was really a very good movie. :smirk:

Don't know what to say about The Waterhorse though. :stick_out_tongue:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Alvin and the Chipmunks has been out 12 weeks and has made over $213 million to date. It is ranked as number 72 of the highest grossing pictures of all time. Now, of course, you must figure ticket prices etc, but it was 20th Century Fox's biggest grosser last year! It wasn't the best film, but it's a fun movie people seem to enjoy and has a short running time that facilitates multiple viewings. It comes to DVD and Blu-ray on April 1st. I think it will still be playing in some theaters! Right now it is still playing in nearly 700 theaters nationwide.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Spiderwick came out a couple weeks ago, and I feel the mass audience felt that Waterhorse was too pretentious a film. I still am amazed that it was playing in March when it was released in December. It's coming to DVD in amonth from now. And it wasn't even in the cheap theaters. This was a first run theater. Last time a film lasted this long, I think it was one of the Star Wars films. Star Wars 1 didn't come to the cheap theaters until October of that year for me.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
It seems like The Spiderwick Chronicles having a hard time making up for it's budget. It looks like a good film. I wonder it it's just a matter of all the competition it's facing and the fact that it's being targeted mainly towards kids sense it's a Nickelodeon film? No Idea?

Drtooth

Reaction score
It seems like The Spiderwick Chronicles having a hard time making up for it's budget. It looks like a good film. I wonder it it's just a matter of all the competition it's facing and the fact that it's being targeted mainly towards kids sense it's a Nickelodeon film? No Idea?
Basically, the only weeik it really should have done well is February vacation. While it makes sense that it's too cold to do anything over the weekends in winter, and a movie is pretty much an ideal way to spend it, this time of year is usually iffy for movies. At least, it isn't as strong as Movies that come out at Christmas time. For Christmas vacation, and of course a lot of people who don't celebrate Christmas have something to do, since everything else is closed.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It varies from state to state. Quite a few movies are released during the February vacation. Our state has one.

unclematt

Reaction score
I can not believe this forum Like the movie are still going.