The Chipmunks' Triumphant Return

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wonder if they even asked him, or if he even knew about it. Logically, the 2 things that could have happened would be that he turned it down to focus on his stand up career (which doesn't quite explain 1 VS100), or they thought he was too old and wanted a youngster.

Would have been trippy to see Ross Jr. in the role, but I don't think he's too good an actor, myself. That could be another problem.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well, that's the way these things work, Red; they keep trying to market nostalgia to today's audience, but they ruin it my trying to "modernize" them with sexually oriented jokes and situations, really poor writing, making the dudes seem like players, while making the dudettes seem like little skanks, because apparently that's supposed to "entertain" today's kids and stuff, which makes me a little nervous about what they're going to do with the Chipettes in the sequel they're planning on doing.
That's the thing, if you are going to market it just for nostalgia you should target it at those of us that actually grew up with it and in so doing, let todays kids learn to love them for the characters they are. Not the characters they force them to be :coy:.
The 80's-90's series ages very well IMHO, I don't think this movie will do the same :frown:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The 80's-90's series ages very well IMHO, I don't think this movie will do the same :frown:
Mainly because Ross Jr. and Janice had complete control of the show (though they went through several animation companies and distributors during its initial run), so naturally, they made sure the characters and stories/plots were true to the originals, while at the same time, making sure they were a bit more "stylized" what with advances in animation, and recording equipment compared to that of the rather "primitive" series of the early 60s.

Teheheman

Reaction score
BUT, they were the ones that gave the green light to this, so you can't blame them for not having creative control cause I'm sure that if they owned the rights to the series and franchise, that they would have to green light it and have them make sure the script was good enough for them and stuff like that.

Daniel

Redsonga

Reaction score
There still were some sweet in character moments, but most of that was overshadowed by trying to be 'cool' in the 2nd half of the movie :\

Drtooth

Reaction score
BUT, they were the ones that gave the green light to this, so you can't blame them for not having creative control cause I'm sure that if they owned the rights to the series and franchise, that they would have to green light it and have them make sure the script was good enough for them and stuff like that.

Daniel
Once again, brining up Joe Harris had nothing but bad things to say about his creation, Underdog, being made into the movie. They gave the film their blessing, and they even had an interview on CBS Saturday Morning about it, and the career of Ross Sr. And while I think the hip hop pop segments don't hold up as classically as the 80's series, the same could be said for the 80's series not holding up as well as the 1961 series.
I've never even seen him act...
But you have heard him as Dave. Not a great, classically trained actor, and I don't think he'd do that well on stage or screen as he does as a voice actor. Would have been novel to see him play Dave, but that just wouldn't work out.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
But you have heard him as Dave. Not a great, classically trained actor, and I don't think he'd do that well on stage or screen as he does as a voice actor. Would have been novel to see him play Dave, but that just wouldn't work out.
Ah. Well, I don't know, sometimes, actor who haven't really had any training in the field seem to do a better job than those who probably went to fancy universities and everything, they just don't really receive enough glory.

Bah, I don't even know what I'm talking about. I still think it would've been interesting to see him play Dave on-screen though, but then again, I'm easily amused/pleased, so if he did, people will probably think he killed the movie, whereas I would probably think he did a pretty dang good job.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ah. Well, I don't know, sometimes, actor who haven't really had any training in the field seem to do a better job than those who probably went to fancy universities and everything, they just don't really receive enough glory.

Bah, I don't even know what I'm talking about. I still think it would've been interesting to see him play Dave on-screen though, but then again, I'm easily amused/pleased, so if he did, people will probably think he killed the movie, whereas I would probably think he did a pretty dang good job.
Ah, too late to edit.

Anyshoe, I just caught a glimpse of a clip from Little Alvin and the Mini-Munks where Ross plays Dave on screen. It's hard to tell from him simply walking in, saying hi to the Chipmunks and Chipettes, them all running over to him for a big hug, then him talking about how perfect "this" is, but he seemed to do a pretty decent job as Dave on screen, I dunno.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ah, too late to edit.

Anyshoe, I just caught a glimpse of a clip from Little Alvin and the Mini-Munks where Ross plays Dave on screen. It's hard to tell from him simply walking in, saying hi to the Chipmunks and Chipettes, them all running over to him for a big hug, then him talking about how perfect "this" is, but he seemed to do a pretty decent job as Dave on screen, I dunno.
Where is a clip of this? This movie is supposedly rare. There's not even a bit on youtube I can find.