The Chipmunks' Triumphant Return

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Any chance you think we will get a new Alvin and the chipmunks animated series based on the popularity of the movie?
You know something? I was kind of expecting maybe local TV stations picking up the 80s cartoon series in reruns in succession of the movie; I remember when the Rocky and Bullwinkle movie hit the theaters, my local FOX station aired the old Rocky and Bullwinkle show everyone morning for an entire school year before they disappeared once more.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I believe the only reason fox released this movie was because they had an empty spot on their releases schedule in December and the lack of Christmas movies that were out. But for it to be the film to spark the holiday season box office wise and for it to have made 300 million sense its opening is pretty impressive. Can you say sequel? I have to say that I in no way saw this coming or for it to be as successful as it ended up being!:eek: :smirk:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I had to rewatch The Chipmunk Adventure just to get a fix of something GOOD with the Chipmunks... I forgot just how good that movie was.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know something? I was kind of expecting maybe local TV stations picking up the 80s cartoon series in reruns in succession of the movie; I remember when the Rocky and Bullwinkle movie hit the theaters, my local FOX station aired the old Rocky and Bullwinkle show everyone morning for an entire school year before they disappeared once more.
Lucky! I had to make due with the heavily edited (for time, not content) Buena Vista VHS that they were selling at clearance outlets. I was able to get each and every one of them. But then, a few years after the film, they released it to DVD. They didn't finish though, but George of the Jungle (the good one from the 60's) comes out next month.

But there's just no place to put cartoons anymore, since there are smaller and smaller markets for TV animation. not even rerunning stuff in local syndication as an FCC ruling from the late 90's made it unprofitable. And a new cartoon series would make sense, but a few DTV movies would be a better market for it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Lucky! I had to make due with the heavily edited (for time, not content) Buena Vista VHS that they were selling at clearance outlets. I was able to get each and every one of them. But then, a few years after the film, they released it to DVD. They didn't finish though, but George of the Jungle (the good one from the 60's) comes out next month.
If you had cable, Drtooth, back then, Cartoon Network still aired The Bullwinkle Show Saturday and Sunday nights at 11:30 (with Dudley Do-Right right after that at midnight).

Drtooth said:
But there's just no place to put cartoons anymore, since there are smaller and smaller markets for TV animation. not even rerunning stuff in local syndication as an FCC ruling from the late 90's made it unprofitable. And a new cartoon series would make sense, but a few DTV movies would be a better market for it.
That's just sad... maybe that's why Boomerang is airing more "modern" cartoon series lately like Dexter's Laboratory and Johnny Bravo... but yeah, I wouldn't mind a new cartoon series, so long as Ross Jr. and Janice have complete control over it so that way it's guaranteed to be (hopefully) just as good as the 80s series was.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If you had cable, Drtooth, back then, Cartoon Network still aired The Bullwinkle Show Saturday and Sunday nights at 11:30 (with Dudley Do-Right right after that at midnight).
I didn't, and a late night time slot wouldn't be as fun as a mid morning or early afternoon time anyway. But that's unavoidable there.

That's just sad... maybe that's why Boomerang is airing more "modern" cartoon series lately like Dexter's Laboratory and Johnny Bravo... but yeah, I wouldn't mind a new cartoon series, so long as Ross Jr. and Janice have complete control over it so that way it's guaranteed to be (hopefully) just as good as the 80s series was.
Indeed that's the problem. Cartoon Network is seen as a kid's network, not a fringe network. And considering (as I've said countless times) they want to move onto live action stuff (as much as I would like to see Kamen Rider, I'd rather it be on a NONcartoon channel). And Boomerang has slowly become CN2. But then its a moot point for me, as I don't have cable, and I probably wouldn't get that channel anyway (I hear the distribution of Boom is spotty).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
(I hear the distribution of Boom is spotty).
It is, apparently because it's a commercial-free channel, hence why most cable companies (including Comcast, which I have) refuse to pick it up.

Corporate greed, I tell ya, corporate greed.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I like that Roger Rabbit avatar, Tooth. Er...I mean - Bonkers avatar. He he. :wink:

I always liked that show, but knew at an instant (even before I was told) what it was supposed to be before Eisner upset Spielberg. The fans are the ones who lost in the Rabbit wars. "Disney season! Amblin season! Disney season...fire!" :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I like that Roger Rabbit avatar, Tooth. Er...I mean - Bonkers avatar. He he. :wink:

I always liked that show, but knew at an instant (even before I was told) what it was supposed to be before Eisner upset Spielberg. The fans are the ones who lost in the Rabbit wars. "Disney season! Amblin season! Disney season...fire!" :stick_out_tongue:
Oh yes. It's even stated that Bonkers was supposed to be Roger Rabbit the series. And somehow, I'm glad it wasn't. There's something about it that wouldn't have sit well. Here's another odd fact- the Bonkers cartoons that appeared on Raw Toonage were made just after the idea of the Bonkers series where he was a cop was being developed. They decided that it would be a good idea to make the cartoons he starred in before he became a cop.

Anyway, speaking of Disney, I just remembered something relating to the movie. Out of all the Chipmunks albums, the only one that (I think) was missing was When you Wish Upon a Chipmunk. I sweqar I didn't see it, but I could bne worng

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Anyway, speaking of Disney, I just remembered something relating to the movie. Out of all the Chipmunks albums, the only one that (I think) was missing was When you Wish Upon a Chipmunk. I sweqar I didn't see it, but I could bne worng
Well, knowing Disney, we'll probably never see it because you know, they'll be like "Oh, those **** Chipmunks are stealing our songs! BOYCOTT THIS CD!"

Hey, now here's an interesting, off-topic question: when somebody mentions JUST "The Chipmunks", do you think of Alvin, Simon, and Theodore, OR do Disney's Chip and Dale come to mind? For me, it's always been Chip and Dale whenever somebody mentions JUST "The Chipmunks", probably because as a child, both them and the other Chipmunks were kind of fairly decent sized parts of my life then, so "The Chipmunks" always refered to Chip and Dale, meanwhile "ALVIN and the Chipmunks" always meant, well, Alvin and the Chipmunks, obviously.