The Chipmunks' Triumphant Return

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oh, so you ARE... um... not that there's anything wrong with that...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Oh, so you ARE... um... not that there's anything wrong with that...
What? I'm a gym-goer? He he. :wink: Well, my partner absolutely loved the film. He picked up the classic Chipmunks Christmas CD afterward at the Virgin Megastore down the street from the theater. So old and new tonight. He's going to be seeing it multiple times. He enjoyed it even more than I did!

Upon second viewing, they did give Simon a bit of a flirtatious nature, but he's still the lovable nerdy rodent he always was. My partner and I really related to Theadore. He steals every shot he's in! :smile:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Theodore's adorable attitude always made him my favorite, although I probably could relate to Simon the most. ^_^

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Reports are that Chipmunks cost $70M to make. It made nearly 45 opening weekend and held up through Wednesday with a $52 domestic gross. Not only is it profitable, it's a hit. I wonder how it will fare overseas? Anyway, expect more theatrical films. I just hope there's more to the next one - and more Theodore!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wonder how it will fare overseas?

Depends. It depends on which companies the Chipmunks were the most popular. Maybe certain parts of Europe. I know that France and Germany got the 80's show.

And for some reason, Garfield: A tale of two Kitties didn't do that well over here (understandably) but it did amazingly in either China or Hong Kong (I forget which one specifically)

theprawncracker

Reaction score
So I just saw the movie, and I must say, I was very pleasently surprised with it. Oh, who am I kidding? I LOVED it! Alvin! Simon! Theodore! All of them were BEAUTIFULLY modernized! Not just their looks, but their personality. Alvin transfered SO well into a video game crazed cool kid, I loved it! And Simon was perfect, I thought. Could've been a wee bit more nerdy and smartical :smile:p) but he was still great. BUT THEODORE! How can they put something that cute on screen without a warning label? Yeesh!

My one real complaint though is Dave... I mean, Jason Lee is a good actor, he just didn't strike me as Dave enough... I was trying to think of someone who would've fit the role better, but couldn't come up with anyone. :smirk:

But other than that the film was top-notch. Loved all of the album art at the end, that was great!

So yeah, highly reccomended film. Great entertainment value for old and new Chipmunk fans alike.

jacobsnchz

Reaction score
I saw the movie last night, and I gotta say it was one of the best movies I've seen this year, besides Hairspray of course. :wink: I also think they should've found a better actor to portray Dave. I loved it so much, I am looking for pics of the scenes with Alvin and his cap. I don't know why but he has to have the cap! :smile: He isn't Alvin without it. lol.

I recommend this movie to fans of the original show and to their children who will become fans as well. :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Results are in and Chipmunks is up to $85M. This, its second weekend, made $29M at #3. National Treasure is considered a big hit costing much more to make and reaping the same opening weekend box office figure, $45M, as the Chipmunks. There will be more and I couldn't be happier. Well, I will if the next one is better written. Now that the setup is concluded there are many ways to go with a sequel that could actually improve upon this first CGI feature.

I did like (spoiler....) that Alvin wore his cap in the final minute of the movie. Hoodies are the fashion now, but he can wear both. I just hope they don't go too hip-hop next time out. Someone poke a fork in that genre. :zany:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Listen... I'm glad the movie did so well... but would it killed someone to make Chipmunk Plushies or T-shirts to go with the movie? I mean, even Under Dog had a small run Action figure line. Mercifully based on the TV show.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Listen... I'm glad the movie did so well... but would it killed someone to make Chipmunk Plushies or T-shirts to go with the movie? I mean, even Under Dog had a small run Action figure line. Mercifully based on the TV show.
I concur and there probably will be more plushes etc to come. There is a resurgence in their music catalog dated this year, but that's not enough. It occurs from time to time, of course, but they had the intention to compliment this release. High gross = more movies = more investment in plush and shirts. I would bet on some more merchandise when the current motion picture's DVD hits the stores. They didn't know if the film would hit. If they had, I guarantee we'd be seeing this stuff.