The Chipmunks' Triumphant Return

Drtooth

Reaction score
"HI! Welcome to Elmo's World! Elmo is so happy to see you. Guess what Elmo's thinking about today?"
(goes to closet and dresses and girly clothes fall on him)
"That's right! Gender confusion!":zany:

Drtooth

Reaction score
New trailer

Bloody Awful

I for one will definately skip this one and just go for my old "Back to Alvin's Future" VHS...

MAZUI!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Looks Good to Me!

:flirt: I Liked It! :wink:

The first "poop eating" teaser ad was met with mixed reviews. Yeah, it was crude and tried too hard, but heck I did a spit-take! Those types of jokes don't usually appeal to me and they could have done better, but it didn't really offend me.

This new ad is good. Not great, but pretty good. It appears that the Chipmunks are going back to their roots is some ways (size etc) while nodding to their 80s incarnation and creating something new on top of that. I see nothing wrong here. Most of the jokes hit with me.

I predict, especially with the lack of holiday films, this film will turn a sizeable profit, make most fans happy and begin a new industry. I can't judge the actual film from a bunch of clips, but if the story holds up (and is not just a series of gags like so many of these films) they get my blessing! :zany:

To add - I grew up watching their old 80s cartoon. I wasn't their biggest fan, but I was a fan nonetheless. Everybody has his/her taste, but I don't see what's not to like?

SSLFan

Reaction score
it's a nice trailer, and i for one can't wait til' it hits theaters.:wink:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I don't care for this, because again all this is is Hollywood's ploy to make money off an old classic by revising it and targeting it at kids who have NO freakin' idea WHO the characters are (just like Disney butchered Underdog and George of the Jungle, and others have done the same to Rocky and Bullwinkle, Dudley Do-Right, Dennis the Menace, Garfield, Popeye [admittedly Popeye is the ONLY semi-decent toon-to-live-action film I can stand, simply 'cause it remains loyal to the canon, doesn't add too many effects to the story, and has the right actors--Robin Willaims and Shelley Duvall--as the cast], and several others)! I mean, what's next...a ruining of Shultz' Peanuts by using the Robot Chicken parody as the basis for the possibility of a film? Good lord...I hope the Fraggle Rock movie doesn't fall into this trap!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I don't care for this, because again all this is is Hollywood's ploy to make money off an old classic by revising it and targeting it at kids who have NO freakin' idea WHO the characters are ...I hope the Fraggle Rock movie doesn't fall into this trap!
I get what you mean about many of these types of projetcs. I'm glad that the Chipmunks' individual personalities appear to be intact from what's in this trailer. I just hope there's a reason for the movie other than cashing-in. The summer teaser poster with them looking all gangsta-hip-hop made my heart sink. Glad it doesn't look they went that direction. :cool:

The Fraggles are in the Henson Company's capable hands. They have always been very protective of that particular property. That's why Disney didn't get them in the deal. No need to worry. Gobo, Mokey, Wembley, Boober and Red are safe. :excited:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I mean, what's next...a ruining of Shultz' Peanuts by using the Robot Chicken parody as the basis for the possibility of a film?
Peanuts is well protected by Creative Associates and United Features Syndicate.

I didn't like the "raisin" joke in the trailer. It seems that is way off course for what the Chipmunks' humor was about.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't care for this, because again all this is is Hollywood's ploy to make money off an old classic by revising it and targeting it at kids who have NO freakin' idea WHO the characters are (just like Disney butchered Underdog and George of the Jungle, and others have done the same to Rocky and Bullwinkle, Dudley Do-Right, Dennis the Menace, Garfield, Popeye [admittedly Popeye is the ONLY semi-decent toon-to-live-action film I can stand, simply 'cause it remains loyal to the canon, doesn't add too many effects to the story, and has the right actors--Robin Willaims and Shelley Duvall--as the cast]
Well, as far as the others are concerned, yeah. But I cannot say they didn't try with Rocky and Bullwinkle. I mean, they even had June Foray play Rocky, and the male cartoon voices were all handled by a Jay Ward historian and verteren voice actor (indeed, Keith Scott even wrote a book about Ward, called "The Moose that Roared"). They even sang the Pottsylvainian national anthem, which was only shown in one episode segment during the "Rocket Fuel" saga. They tried too hard, though. They got everything right, but by adding a female lead, they corrupted the batch. I also feel that George of the Jungle was done some justice. But Dudley was way off.

I say, who are they fooling? The kids that know the property won't like the changes, and the kids that don't know the property won't care. Look at how poorly Underdog did.

I would rather the Chipmunks be their real size. They were only chipmunk sized in one appearance as puppets on the Ed Sullivan show. All other times (The Alvin Show, Alvin and the Chipmunks) they were of normal size. the one thing that irks me (aside from the potty humor, and the almost greedy, uncaring nature of Dave Seville in this film) is all the "look at how small they are" gags. I can see the movie being mostly small jokes.

There had better be merchandise somewhere planned. I ain't suffering through having a big element of my childhood trashed without getting a T-Shirt or PVC figurine collection. I had a gentle humor with Inspector Gadget (Which I'll admit, I liked the first time I saw it, just not after that), mainly because there was at least a Bean Bag of him.