The Chipmunks' Triumphant Return

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Wow... why do so many people not like Muppets From Space? And Kermit's Swamp Years? They're two of the better present-day Muppet movies around!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, I guess like we said before it's very subjective. I can't watch MFS for more than two seconds, it really gets me down. The humor is just too jaded and mean, and not as clever as previous productions. In my opinion. Clearly you see something in it that I don't, and that's fine. :smile:

I haven't seen KSY, so I can't comment. Overall, I just think it's very difficult to reproduce and continue the work Jim created. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wow... why do so many people not like Muppets From Space? And Kermit's Swamp Years? They're two of the better present-day Muppet movies around!
I loved MFS, even when I heard they had a better ending and Uncle Matt until Jerry juhl got angry that someone decided to make the movie completely more juvenile than it was supposed to. it is hardly the worst thing they did. Look at OZ. Yuckka.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Wow... why do so many people" not like Muppets From Space? And Kermit's Swamp Years? They're two of the better present-day Muppet movies around!
I guess it could be a generational thing. :sleep: :boo: (I'm a geezer)

I remember going to the theater in 1979 and seeing the most wonderful movie in the world, The Muppet Movie. I was five years old. I still remember the conversations with my family on the ride home.

That film helped set me on my life-path. The whole "making people happy" with your gifts made sense to me. It was an even-paced movie with fun on many levels.

Muppets From Space and Kermit's Swamp Years just didn't hit that chord with me and also seemed to be a bit presumptuous in how they emulated earlier (and arguably better) films without much finesse. Well, that's just my take. Muppet Movie, Caper and even Christmas Carol are geared to all ages more than the Space or Swamp.

They seem kiddified in comparison. There are some brilliant parts to them, but just don't seem to have the original spark/edge and genuine sweetness of other projects. :sympathy:

I did like the Muppets Oz and Very Merry Muppet Christmas Special (and thought the presence of Pepe and the nipple jokes did work, while some other fans cringed). Just my take on it.

My many years around MC have shown me that we've all got our own unique take on the Muppets. I think it does have to do with how each of us was introduced to them.

Anyway...chipmunks should have shoes! Who's with me?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Muppets From Space and Kermit's Swamp Years just didn't hit that chord with me and also seemed to be a bit presumptuous in how they emulated earlier (and arguably better) films without much finesse. Well, that's just my take. Muppet Movie, Caper and even Christmas Carol are geared to all ages more than the Space or Swamp.

They seem kiddified in comparison. There are some brilliant parts to them, but just don't seem to have the original spark/edge and genuine sweetness of other projects. :sympathy:
I agree, I think that was well put. MFS and other modern projects seem to be trying to bring the original edge and sweetness, but it comes out either slightly mean or fake, at least for me.

And yes even if there are good parts to them, they cannot be compared to the earlier films when Jim was involved.

Drtooth

Reaction score

I understand how it is, and I really do think the studio or someone was to blame for taking the original script and kiddyfying it in MFS. But the fact of the matter is, until Muppet Oz came out, MCC was my least favorite of all the ones I've seen (Still need to see KSY, though), due in part it was like basically half muppet, and mostly Michael Cain's film. They took second stage to the human actors. MTI cleared that up, with only 2 human main actors in the body of the story, balancing the pirate crew with muppets and humans perfectly.

But enough of this. it is a muppet forum and all, so we could always get about a new thread on the subject. Let's just ponder how this movie will or won't work.

I personally hope they can rerelease Chipmunk Punk, which is the reason the Chipmunks had a TV series in the 80's.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Yeah, let's all pitch in, and buy the Chipmunks some shoes, man!:smile:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Lol, yeah by the time I was born, the Chipettes were already permanent fixtures in the Chipmunk world, so it's actually kind of hard for me to imagine the Chipmunks WITHOUT the Chipettes... except for the old "Chipmunk Song" that is, lol.
Yeah, me too! And I used to like them. But I don't mined them, I just think they could go with out them.

And ever since then, I'VE been notorious for doing comics like that; I once did one where today's Rocky the Flying Squirrel met the first, original Rocky of the 50s.
What's the difference?

The teaser website for Alvin and the Chipmunks is now online!
www.alvinandthechipmunksmovie.com

You can also view the teaser trailer and read the synopsis!
Potty Humor...:stick_out_tongue:

I don't know, I think there have always been kids with, heh, low taste levels, just like there are adults. There have also been kids who know good shows when they see them. It just seems that lately entertainment is being targeted at the lowest denominator.
That's very true. But I think a lot of it has to do with what they put out for kids nowday and the whole old=bad thing, too.

Check this out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKYmcrmzxM4

These guys were created just about the same time the Chipmunks were... they even SOUND like the Chipmunks!
Yeah, there were a lot of ripoff out back them make to cash off of their success.

What? WHAT?

SAVE THOSE LEGENDS FROM HUMILIATION! D:

They certainly can't! It's like making a Thriller video without Michael Jackson and suddenly putting Akon into it!

*Is a stooges fanatic*
You know, back in the day when they used to air the Smooth Crimal video, there was a version where Alvin was on the screen emulating the dance moves. and he kept getting thrown off the corner of the screen. He kept talking the whole time he was on screen, hehe! Oh yeah, he had a hat on just like Mike's, too.

My mom MIGHT like to see it, she too grew up with the Chipmunks (heck, one of her favorite "Christmas carols" is "The Chipmunk Song"), plus I bet she'd get a kick out of them covering "Funky Town U.S.A."
I hope she likes it.

I personally hope they can rerelease Chipmunk Punk, which is the reason the Chipmunks had a TV series in the 80's.
It's availibal at their website, I really wanna get it. But It was that and the re airing of the original series being such a big success the relaunched the chipmunks again.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's very true. But I think a lot of it has to do with what they put out for kids nowday and the whole old=bad thing, too.
Yup, I keep saying kids today are being taught more than ever that if something is old, they don't need to know about it. They just need to know what's going on in their small bubble world.