The Chipmunks' Triumphant Return

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
What? WHAT?

SAVE THOSE LEGENDS FROM HUMILIATION! D:

They certainly can't! It's like making a Thriller video without Michael Jackson and suddenly putting Akon into it!

*Is a stooges fanatic*
Kewl! Always great to meet another Stooges fan!:smile:

And no, you CANNOT replace the originals and call them the Three Stooges. There was something called "The New Monkees" at one point, and that bombed. There were even a couple of cruddy Laurel & Hardy "updates" (that I think went straight to video). WHY?:rolleyes:

Telly

Reaction score
I'm gonna go see it. I grew up on the little guys. I also grew up on Scooby-Doo. When I first saw the publicity shots and trailers, I thought it was going to suck. I ended up LOVING it. Look what it did for the dog. It brought him back into the spot light and away from Scrappy. Maybe it'll just vanish underneath a rug like Garfield? I was never a big Garfield fan, but still went to the movie and mildly enjoyed it. I liked it enough to buy it on DVD. The sequel....didn't see it.
I'll see the Chipmunks sequel if the Chippettes are in it and they sing "Girls of Rock n Roll" cuz that'd be SWEET!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My mom MIGHT like to see it, she too grew up with the Chipmunks (heck, one of her favorite "Christmas carols" is "The Chipmunk Song"), plus I bet she'd get a kick out of them covering "Funky Town U.S.A."

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I grew up with the chimpmunks, and I'll watch the chimpmunks. In my opinion, that trailer did not show the chimpunks. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it was Scott. It was someone directly related to the Stooges who wanted to revive them with new actors.:rolleyes:
Clearly I am not surprised... I have his book right here....

These are the following attempts as of 2000 or so when the book came out...

Three stooges: 2nd Generation
Columbia pictures/ Jeffery Scott Productions

Shared Story Credit
Screenplay by Jefferey Scott

The Three Stooges Live at MGM GRAND
Jeffery Scott Productions/ Fred Moch & Assoc. (Half Hour Live Stage Show)
Executive Producer
Co-Written by Jeffrey Scott

The Three Stooges: Next generation
Columbia/ Interscope/ Jeffrey Scott Productions
Producer
Story and Screenplay Jeffrey Scott

Wee Stooges
Jeffrey Scott Productions/ABC
Created By/ Executive Producer
Drown and out in Beverly Hills (Pilot)
Last of the Moe Haircuts (pilot)

The last one was a cartoon, and the only one that actually sold was the live action stage show.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But I do NOT think kids today are quite that dense. Sure, they watch Disney's crap tweencoms and keep pokemon alive for another million years (Super Mario was the best thing your company ever produced. how 'bout making another Mario cartoon instead!). But I don't think they want Underdog talking like Raphael from the 80's Ninja turtles. I remember a KID actually came up with a petition (that didn't work) to block Loonatics Unleashed.
Definitely kids aren't as out of it as people seem to think. That's interesting about the Loonatics Unleashed petition, I didn't know about that!~

Drtooth

Reaction score
It didn't bloody work. I dunno, like older people they tend to vary. Some kids fall for cheap rediculous gimicks, some don't.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yup, like I said before, I think it's always been this way. There are kids who recognize quality and there are kids who don't. Just like adults. Hehe

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Clearly I am not surprised... I have his book right here....

These are the following attempts as of 2000 or so when the book came out...

Three stooges: 2nd Generation
Columbia pictures/ Jeffery Scott Productions

Shared Story Credit
Screenplay by Jefferey Scott​

The Three Stooges Live at MGM GRAND
Jeffery Scott Productions/ Fred Moch & Assoc. (Half Hour Live Stage Show)
Executive Producer
Co-Written by Jeffrey Scott​

The Three Stooges: Next generation
Columbia/ Interscope/ Jeffrey Scott Productions
Producer
Story and Screenplay Jeffrey Scott​

Wee Stooges
Jeffrey Scott Productions/ABC
Created By/ Executive Producer
Drown and out in Beverly Hills (Pilot)
Last of the Moe Haircuts (pilot)​

The last one was a cartoon, and the only one that actually sold was the live action stage show.
The Three Stooges founded Comedy 3 Productions, Inc. in 1959, shortly after they stopped making theatrical shorts. The company still exists today, as C3 Entertainment, and are the folks one has to go to to propose anything official featuring the Stooges. C3 deals with film production, retail sales and the licensing/merchandising of the Three Stooges. This includes books, videos, movies, TV or stage shows. Anything without the C3 seal of approval is bogus.

There was a TV movie made in 2000 called The Three Stooges, based on the official biography The Three Stooges: From Amalgamated Morons to American Icons by Michael Fleming. Mel Gibson (who wrote an introduction to the book) was one of the exec producers, and the film was directed by James Frawley (The Muppet Movie). It was produced by C3 Entertainment (as was the book), so it qualifies as an official Stooge product.

The film is pretty good, but too much is crammed into about 90 minutes (without commercials). For instance, Shemp (John Kassir, who was the voice of the Crypt Keeper on Tales from the Crypt) is introduced as Curly's replacement. A scene or two later, Moe and Larry are attending Shemp's funeral! Although the film is seen through Moe's eyes, I don't know if his grandson had anything to do with it.

According to the official Stooges website, C3 Entertainment is getting ready to produce a big-budget Three Stooges movie for theaters, directed by Bobby and Peter Farrelly (Dumb & Dumber, Me, Myself & Irene, Shallow Hal, There's Something About Mary).