The Chipmunks' Triumphant Return

Drtooth

Reaction score
Firstly, I will say this:

Note the voices of the Chipmunks are the classic 1980's series voice actors. not celebrities sped up or anything cheesy like that.

But I will say Dave Seville would be perfectly played by Bob Sagat. he has the square look and sound that Dave had. Jason Lee could be good, but I don't think so.

I hate the fact they have to resort to jokes about doo doos. I can take a poo/fart joke ONLY if it's clever. The Japanese make the BEST poop jokes. My favorite was during an episode of Ultimate Muscle in which Kid Muscle fights a chojin that can turn into a shoe. how do you defeat a giant shoe? Make him step in a giant poop.

I'm holding out some hope here. This doesn't look as bad as Underdog...yet.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yep. This was the first trailer they showed before the Simpsons. The poop-eating turned me right off this one.
Actually, poop eating reminds me of another poo joke the japanese did better. You see, in Dr. Slump, there is a superhero called Flyman (rough translation of his name, I forget what it really is and I'm too lazy to thumb through my Dr. Slump collection to look it up) but as he is a fly, he discovers poo and calls it the greatest culinary product of his planet... cuz we all know what flies eat.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Well, at least the Chipmunks are wearing their trademark sweaters (at least in the teaser), and sound right.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Heh, all that black and white footage was of Beatles fans!

I can't stand toilet humor jokes, it's neither clever nor amusing. The original chimpmunk shows were way beyond that.

It is true that sometimes scenes from the trailer aren't used in the actual movie. I'd really have to see more of the film before I decide.

I don't understand all these remakes, they don't seem to know why these shows were big in the first place.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah but where's Alvin's hat?
Why does Simon have a hood on his sweater? Why do the Chipmunks have tails? !
I don't understand all these remakes, they don't seem to know why these shows were big in the first place.
I think they're basically just DESPERATE to get the younger generations to "appreciate" what they're parents/grandparents grew up loving. I'll admit, that IS how I got into Rocky and Bullwinkle, but other than that, my mom introduced me to shows like The Andy Griffith Show, I Love Lucy, and Leave it to Beaver, my dad introduced me to The Gene Autry Show and Bewitched, and I introduced myself to I Dream of Jeannie, Green Acres, M*A*S*H, Sanford and Son, and The Munsters. Not to mention when I was little, a lot of old Looney Tunes, and old Hanna Barbera cartoons like Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Tom and Jerry, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, and the like. But these days, today's kids find shows like that "too old and boring" since they have no swearing, blasphemy, or sexually oriented gags.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But these days, today's kids find shows like that "too old and boring" since they have no swearing, blasphemy, or sexually oriented gags.
I don't know, I think there have always been kids with, heh, low taste levels, just like there are adults. There have also been kids who know good shows when they see them. It just seems that lately entertainment is being targeted at the lowest denominator.