The RHLC!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
there are other books set roughly around the same time i like, To Kill a Mockingbird for instance, it sucks though that many classics are being band in skools due to content and or language,
I know I can't believe that kind of thing is still going on, and with the same books over and over again. I went to Catholic school and we read Catcher in the Rye and Huckleberry Finn with no problems. I can't understand how they still remain targets to this day.

personally if kids are going to complain anyway, you should teach one classic, and the rest should be more modern just to cut back on the gripe.
I'm torn on this usually. Kids do need to learn about art and literature outside of their own little bubble. But at the same time, I do think if kids were allowed to read books on topics that really interested them, it would at least give them exposure to reading.

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
I know - year after year, you look at the ALA's "Most Challenged Books" list, and you see the same titles appear again and again - Huckleberry Finn, The Color Purple, The Chocolate War, The Catcher in the Rye...sure, sometimes a few new books get added to the list, but it's usually the same favorites.

I remember having to read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe back in middle school. They told us that, years before we came through, they used to have to have kids' parents sign a permission slip before they assigned the book, because a few parents complained. To this day, I cannot fathom why anyone would want the Narnia books banned.

When I was in college, the English department had this really wonderful tradition of doing a banned books reading in October, to coincide with Banned Books Week. A group of students and professors would get together and read passages from their favorite books that had been banned or challenged - good times.

Nekoshema

Reaction score
that sounds neat, banned book month. my exposure to reading was really minimal to say the least, i moved to a small town in Quebec, and the area was full of separatists, basically they hated anything english, so i cherrished my scolatic book orders :flirt: teachers usually read books to us because there was only one copy, i remember a couple really good ones my 5-6 grade teacher read, but the titles have escaped my memory, i wish there was a way i could track them down. the same teacher also had this worksheet book of The Time Machine, man, we'd get like one chapter every few weeks, and my friends and i always bugged the teacher for the next chapter... sadly i moved before i got to the ending, but i still have the binder with the chapters in it :wink:

never read Narnia, they taught that in the sixth grade at the skool i went to starting in grade 7, i read 'The City of Tomorrow' it wasn't bad, i'm not a sci-fi person, but i was getting freaked when the computer began brainwashing and killing pets. The Giver, i loved that book, but everyone else seemed to either hate it, or not pay attention at all. [the teacher read some answers from a quiz, funny, but at the same time sad]

i don't know, i never complained about books i had to read in skool i liked them all [minus Of Mice and Men after the 4th read :boo:] ever read 'The Crysalids'? loved that one, [it's called Re-Birth in the states if i'm not mistaken] myself, i tend to read the classics, and i shy away from most new novels, maybe that makes me close minded? the newest book i read was Goosebumps

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I have two opinions regarding book banning:

1. You shouldn't try to censor a book you personally dislike, because once you set that precedent, the next victim of censorship might be a book you love.

2. At the same time, I do think there should be some exceptions in extreme cases. Such as if the sole purpose of the book is to immediately cause harm in some way. Like how yelling "Fire!" in a crowded theater is the exception to the free speech rule.

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
The Giver, i loved that book, but everyone else seemed to either hate it, or not pay attention at all.
I remember reading that one about a year or two ago. In my opinion, it was kind of weird and a bit confusing at some points, but pretty good.

GoboDeadly95

Reaction score
Merry Christmas and God Bless Us ALL!
I'm so excited my rents totally shocked me this year because I got a copy of Of Muppets and Men and I told my mom about it and somehow she found one. How? No clue. I've learned Just don't question the power of mom. So the first thing I did was go to the Jerry, Richard and Dave section and just stared at Richard for about a good two minutes. :wink:

Nekoshema

Reaction score
Merry Christmas!

lol, i got Of Muppets and Men too, love the book XD i did the same thing when i got it Gobo.

yea heralde, i agree, if a skool board decides not to teach a book because of content then i understand, but if a student wants to read it and the skool library won't carry it due to content, then i dissagree. my high skool had a huge uproar a few years before i got there, a bunch of parents found out the religion section on the library had books on the occult [pagan, wiccan ect.] and they demanded they were removed because it was unholy for them to be there. even though the skool had a world religion class and the whole reason those books were there was research for the big end of year project. but the board folded and all books were pulled and replaced with bibles. i kid you not, my friend and i counted one day [because we always hung in that section; religion, philosophy and psychology] and there was a shelf and a half worth of bibles. now i think that's going a little too far, two is enough, if one's checked out there's a spare, i always think two of every book is sufficient, but talk about overkill :grouchy:

lol, sorry about the minor tirade, hope everyone had a merry christmas, i did, saw family and got some really neat things :wink: [like some funky photo albums, i've needed some]

GoboDeadly95

Reaction score
i just love those pictures! I haven't got to read much but those pictures are stunning. I was litterally like "Richard . . ." huggles stuffed Junior Gorg and stares.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Merry Christmas and God Bless Us ALL!
I'm so excited my rents totally shocked me this year because I got a copy of Of Muppets and Men and I told my mom about it and somehow she found one. How? No clue. I've learned Just don't question the power of mom. So the first thing I did was go to the Jerry, Richard and Dave section and just stared at Richard for about a good two minutes. :wink:
That's awesome! And yes I totally understand what you mean about the power of moms, lol. And the photos of Richard are so sharp and large. Sometimes print does have strengths over the Web, lol.

my high skool had a huge uproar a few years before i got there, a bunch of parents found out the religion section on the library had books on the occult [pagan, wiccan ect.] and they demanded they were removed because it was unholy for them to be there. even though the skool had a world religion class and the whole reason those books were there was research for the big end of year project. but the board folded and all books were pulled and replaced with bibles.
Yeah I personally wouldn't agree with that decision since, again, those people wouldn't like it very much if some other group demanded that the Bibles be removed.

But anyway, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all! : D

GoboDeadly95

Reaction score
About the bible arument I totally agree that it should be alowed in more schools. Lord of the Rings and Narnia are totally valid peices of WW2 lit.