The Official "I'm looking for/trying to remember a sketch" thread

wiley207

Reaction score
I think — I don’t know but I think it’s possible that they made a second Rapunzel news flash skit because in the first one, the Prince came across as too abusive, even telling Rapunzel to “shut up”
I still think that "Fairytale Update" with Rapunzel from the early 90s was originally written in the late 80s as a Sesame Street News segment with Kermit the Frog. But Jim Henson's death led to the script being shelved. But then they dusted it off in Season 24 and re-wrote it without Kermit as a one-shot "Fairytale Update" (though it used the "Fairy Tales Today" theme music). They even had Jerry Nelson perform Rapunzel in that New Jersey accent and Frank Oz perform Prince Charming, obviously as a throwback to the 1972 news segment.
For the record, here's that segment...

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
The other day, my mom told me that she remembers hearing a Sesame Street parody of the song 18 and Life by Skid Row (obviously revolving around the number 18), when I was little. She told me that she thought it was hilarious to hear them parody such a dark song on the show. It would've been in the early 2000s when I was watching SS (1999-2002 to be exact).

However, I can't find any evidence that they've ever parodied the song. Can you guys help me out here?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Would have to check Muppet Wiki, but the only song parody centered on the number 18 is the song "Eighteen" where a CG girl sings about the eighteen different sandwiches she could ask her dad to make her for lunch, finishing with the line that she'd just order a pizza to go instead. The reason I bring this up is because it's a parody of the song of the same title recorded by TMS guest star Alice Cooper.

Hope this helps.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
That was my first thought too. Chances are Flaky’s mom either never heard of Alice Cooper’s song or forgot what 18 Sandwiches was a parody of.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
She definitely knows the Alice Cooper song. She played it on my eighteenth birthday, as a matter of fact.