Arthur - Where is the Show Going?

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
Well, I just found out when the series finale will air:
If this source is reliable enough, it also has information on which SST episode debuts on PBS that day.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
Giving this thread a new life for a good reason, and I am surprised nobody brought this up yet.

Yesterday, after nearly 26 years, we've finally reached the final chapter in the Arthur saga. The finale, with "All Grown Up" as the final segment, aired yesterday. I saw that final segment on YouTube, and I must say, they handled the final production really well, like they had wanted it. The series went out on a good note, with the Sugar Bowl now renamed the Sugar Bowl Cafe, and Arthur and some of his classmates now 28 years old, many with new occupations. Myffy's job may be a callback to "The Election", and Binky's job may be a callback to "The Blizzard" and/or "Shelter from the Storm"; and D.W.'s job may be a callback to "D.W. Blows the Whistle" and maybe "Nerves of Steal" as she was enforcing the law. Sadly, we don't know what became of Brain nor Sue Ellen as adults, so I would guess that they left Elwood City to work elsewhere, though unmentioned on air. The guy suggesting a book which contains interesting methods of drawing was likely an animated version of Marc Brown, author of the Arthur book series for nearly 50 years, and Arthur reconsidered borrowing the book as he suddenly has inspiration for creating a graphic novel. At the very end, we see Arthur reading a graphic novel he created starting from the first story, "Arthur's Eyes", which was also the first segment in the cartoon series. A very appropriate way to close out the series, without anything emotional.

I must say, even though I discontinued watching the show in 2007 due to loss of interest and commitments to work, I was motivated to see a few episodes many months ago after learning on a Facebook group that Arthur is ending after 25 seasons. I decided to get back into watching the show, and by golly, I couldn't believe some of the stuff I missed out on due to my job. I was more interested in seeing the segment "All Grown Up", and I finally got that chance.

What do you think of the final chapter of the Arthur series?

DatH

Reaction score
It really shouldn't have been squished with another half ep, especially with how mediocre that one was. I'll sum it up as "another way to flanderize Buster for a trash laugh"

I'm also disappointed in how 90% of the ep was "what if" predictions from the game that...mostly got copy pasted to be true, bar Muffy being mayor to be. Only Francine has a really bad design in the actual future, so eh

As nice as it was for Yarmush to reprise his role, the fact DW, Bud, and George didn't get the same treatment really sucked.
Oh hey, Ratburn's husband....and Ratburn himself wasn't in the ep. I see PBS really distancing that relationship

The episode honestly was...extremely stationary for a finale. As nice as it was for Arthur to make a Graphic Novel on his life, they never addressed how adults personally can change outside career. George I feel was a missed opportunity to note his reliance on Wally (though there's an ep earlier this season on him learning to speak out, so...), and Arthur for his general inferiority complex that drives him to a lot of trash trends or inflated ego in the shows run. At least Muffy seemed to mature, though it barely factors in all this

I do find it funny Arthur looks like PBGamer though, but I'm unsatisfied overall

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
As nice as it was for Yarmush to reprise his role, the fact DW, Bud, and George didn't get the same treatment really sucked.
To be fair with DW, she’s apparently always been voiced by boys.
That would’ve been… awkward… to say the least.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Oh hey, Ratburn's husband....and Ratburn himself wasn't in the ep. I see PBS really distancing that relationship

The episode honestly was...extremely stationary for a finale. As nice as it was for Arthur to make a Graphic Novel on his life, they never addressed how adults personally can change outside career. George I feel was a missed opportunity to note his reliance on Wally (though there's an ep earlier this season on him learning to speak out, so...), and Arthur for his general inferiority complex that drives him to a lot of trash trends or inflated ego in the shows run. At least Muffy seemed to mature, though it barely factors in all this

I do find it funny Arthur looks like PBGamer though, but I'm unsatisfied overall
That's weird that they're somewhat distancing themselves from Ratburn and his husband after making the wedding episode such an event, maybe they're scared of Alabama pulling the episode?

But yeah, I agree, it wasn't very satisfying. The adult designs were super awkward, especially DW's, which looked like her 4 year face plastered onto an adult woman's body. I much preferred these designs that were made back in the early episodes

DatH

Reaction score
That's weird that they're somewhat distancing themselves from Ratburn and his husband after making the wedding episode such an event, maybe they're scared of Alabama pulling the episode?

But yeah, I agree, it wasn't very satisfying. The adult designs were super awkward, especially DW's, which looked like her 4 year face plastered onto an adult woman's body. I much preferred these designs that were made back in the early episodes
Buster and George are fine design wise though, so eh
The real stinker is Francine and DW

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I thought the older versions of the characters in "The Contest" depicted teens?

Either way, I prefer the designs in "The Contest" more. At least Muffy looked more attractive than in "All Grown Up".

I wonder why they didn't show any of the characters' chlldren or married partners in "All Grown Up".

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
To be honest I’m happy the show has finally come to an end. It really was way past its expiration date and just felt like a dead horse being continually beaten on.

I gave the ending a watch and liked the designs; it was even nice some of the first season voice actors came back and reprised their roles. And the flashback to the first episode was nice.

But overall, I’d give maybe the first 8/9 seasons a watch and then just call quits from there.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I agree, I preferred the first nine seasons the most. Season 10 was not great, and Season 11 was when the show fell out of favor for me - the reason why I quit watching on a regular basis in 2007.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
To be honest I’m happy the show has finally come to an end. It really was way past its expiration date and just felt like a dead horse being continually beaten on.

I gave the ending a watch and liked the designs; it was even nice some of the first season voice actors came back and reprised their roles. And the flashback to the first episode was nice.

But overall, I’d give maybe the first 8/9 seasons a watch and then just call quits from there.
Honestly, I was kinda sad at the idea of Arthur ending but then I saw the quality of these new episodes and realized that it really is for the best.

I think ending it at season 7 would have been the perfect run for Arthur. They hit the 100th episode mark that season and had a great episode about it. April 9th was the last episode and would have doubled as a perfect series finale. That episode perfectly captured everything that made the series as great as it was.

That's not to say that they didn't have good episodes past season 7 but it really would have ended on top if it stopped there.