What made you roll your eyes today thread?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I mean I heard about this a couple of weeks ago, I had no idea what in the world this was all about, or why people were making a big deal out of how wonderful it was she was getting so much love and support from the public over what happened to her when she easily could've been the subject of scorn, ridicule, and tittery.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Disney is becoming too woke for its own good. Get this. The Muppets are considered culturally offensive because of the Swedish Chef.
Other Disney titles deemed offensive are The Aristocats, Swiss Family Robinson, Dumbo, and Peter Pan.

If I were Disney I’d give the Muppets back to the Henson family, and pay them a few million to unload them. Disney wouldn’t want to have unclean hands.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Disney has continually proven how woke they are. This isn’t anything new.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I hadn't heard anything about the Swedish Chef, the disclaimers are for more "yikes" moments like the Spike Milligan episode or the Asian Flu joke in the Jim Nabors episode

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Putting labels (even their own titles) is one thing. Canceling them is something else.
Gone With the Wind for example. Last year l frosts were screaming how it portrayed slavery. Yes, it portrays how things were at that time, but it doesn’t glorify slavery.
It is worth noting, Hattie McDaniel was the first Black woman to win an Oscar for her performance as Mammy. That’s worth remembering.

I’m glad, back in 6th grade, I got to read history books about slavery, Jim Crow, civil rights, the Third Reich, etc. I didn’t glorify or celebrate those times, I wanted to understand those times.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
But have the Muppets really been canceled though? I mean, how can we know this for certain unless Twitter gives us #muppetsareoverparty? 🤷‍♂️

animalrescuer

Reaction score
Regarding this, I don’t think Jim and his team were ever offensive to anyone on purpose. These instances were really rare within the Muppets.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I mean, he’s nothing more than just a stereotype character who speaks in complete Swedish gibberish out of good humor; it’s not like he was created just to mock Swedish folks out of poor taste.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
While I’m accepting of people who identity as gender-neutral, this is actually a case where this feels...... kind of forced.

Like, this just feels very random and almost ignores the fact that we have toys (if I’m not mistaken) for both Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head so you have either option that you want to choose from. Making Mr. Potato Head gender-neutral just kind of feels like it’s taking away the purpose of what the toy once was and honestly just feels like Hasbro is trying too hard to make sure everyone is happy now.

Again, I have no issues that they changed it, but I do have issues with the reasons why they chose to do it, because it really doesn’t even feel like they’re being honest on why they chose to do it other than “hey guys we made this gender neutral now k bye”