Sesame Workshop/Shout! Factory Deal

Oscarfan

Reaction score
If you never caught the Wish Pickle special, fear not:

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
If you never caught the Wish Pickle special, fear not:

It's about time. It's the best special from the HBO era, besides the 50th anniversary special.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Apparently, a physical release of When You Wish Upon a Pickle won't be in stores until July 7, but at least it's available for download on time. Not sure if this is because of the pandemic or what (could they have wanted to give it a digital release before a physical release?).

I really enjoyed the special. I should probably find the "your thoughts" thread for the special and post there soon. But I was surprised that the special is followed by segments from the show, all themed around magic. So cool to see one of this seasons episodes with Biff and Sully included (is this the fastest that an HBO episode came to home video?), and thought "about time!" in regards to the two fullframe segments (okay, Abby using her wand as a backscratcher isn't that spectacular of a segment but I've felt it should have been released years ago - but it is great to finally have the Grover as a magician sketch on video). Of course, if they are including pre-high definition content on this, it would have been great to have had something with The Amazing Mumford on here. The video includes Elmo's "Letter of the Day" song for M, since "M is for magic", I would have rather it had (and been satisfied with) Cookie Monster's Letter of the Day: C with Mumford (at least he's mentioned in the Grover sketch). I am mixed about another release of "Just Like Magic" so soon after its inclusion on the 50th anniversary release, but I really do like that one. Also would have been cool to have had an Abby's Flying Fairy School segment, and maybe a segment involving wishes (like The Monster's Three Wishes or Kermit News: Aladdin).

Given the special having a bit of a mystery to it, it would have been great if the bonus selection of clips was a mix of magic and mystery segments. Maybe also some television-themed segments to go along with Bert being on the television.

The DVD release of 50th Anniversary Celebration included existing segments (plus the celebrities talking about their favorite moments) as part of the main program, and this release has relevant segments as part of the main program. Makes me wonder if this is a new trend for home video releases of the newer Sesame Street specials. I wonder if the DVD release of that Monster at the End of This Story will include a selection of Grover segments, animated segments with the familiar characters, segments that were adapted into books (I don't think any segments were based on books... aside from that rare animated Bein' Green...), or what.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The next Sesame Street home video release will be Monster Hits: Rock and Rhyme with Elmo, coming in September.

I am a little intrigued. It seems like it's a sing-along release, and each song is accompanied by three different clips from the show. So I guess it won't be straightforward segments from the show, but songs intermixed with three clips (and why always three?). Many of the songs in the Disney Sing-Along Songs line is like that - showcasing clips from many different movies and shorts during the songs (including some public domain songs that don't come from a Disney work, but also ones definitely from Disney). It makes me wonder if there'll be new footage, or at least new audio, for the songs. In the last few years the official YouTube channel added a number of new videos of the characters singing classic nursery rhymes, I wonder if those will be included.

With the "each song will be accompanied by three clips" line, a really wild thought - that is most likely not the case - crossed my mind: The possibility of three different clips of the same song. It would be cool to have a video release include multiple back-to-back versions of songs with many renditions, but I can't think of many monster songs that apply (mainly just C is for Cookie), can't think of any rock and roll songs from the show to really have three versions (well, some of the Little Jerry songs - the main segments, the sample renditions when they visited Gina, and the sampled renditions when they had Elmo fill in for Little Jerry!), and there probably are nursery rhymes that have been recited on the show three times but I can't think of any off-hand.

The "Rock and Rhyme" title sounds interesting, almost sounds like it's a mix of rock songs and nursery rhymes, though I can't think of any segments that really combined both.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
A trailer for Monster Hits: Rock and Rhyme with Elmo.

It looks like what I expected yet also looks more disappointing (how is that possible?).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I hope to God Tomato the Musical isn't edited.
Muppet Wiki reports that each song will be accompanied by three different clips, so I don't think any song clips will be truly uncut (though it seems to primarily be recent song videos created for YouTube), so I doubt there'll be any full Elmo the Musical clips (maybe songs from the segments).