50th Anniversary DVD announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
keep in mind that it can't be ALL nostalgic moments since their main audience for this and all their DVDs is the kids that watch the show, I just think they should add episode 1 since its important for kids to see the first episode of the show, I remember I was still fairly young when the first old school DVD was released and I remember how exciting it was to see the very first episode

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Aren't we forgetting something important? The content for this DVD was selected by a dedicated fan, and he promised that while he wasn't able to get everything he wanted on there, most of what we'll be seeing won't have been released commercially until now. I messaged him privately to ask some other questions, and while I was at it, I told him how excited I was that he was in charge of choosing what would be included on the DVD. He then admitted that he's "jazzed to have worked on it", and is looking forward to the rest of the world seeing it.

Of course I'm desperate to know what will be on the DVD, and am overall excited to get my hands on a copy. I really am. But for now, I really think we should all trust Joe and take his word for how promising it will be.

Last edited:

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Thread bump. I wish I could edit out the wedding reference, but yeah, Monica's feelings are no different from how I'm feeling today about this upcoming DVD:
NOW I find one without the wedding reference...and in better quality...

cjd874

Reaction score
Late to the game...but here are some thoughts on this post.
First, there looks like a really wide range of segments, from classic to recent and iconic to obscure. But I'm looking forward to that, and will gladly plop down some money for this DVD set.

And a wish list of classic segments I'd like to see from the first ten seasons (if they are doing it that way):
  • Season 1: ABC-DEF-GHI, Henson Baker #10, Susan sings One of These Things (episode 1), People in Your Neighborhood: Garbageman and Barber, Ernie cleans the apartment in 15 seconds, Oscar dials Melvin the Grouch, Roosevelt Franklin counts, Jazz Spies #2, Swinging Gibbon film, Five People in My Family, Somebody Come and Play, James Earl Jones says the ABCs, Being Green, Big Bird assembles a birdseed wagon (street scenes)

• Season 2: Rubber Duckie, Everyone Makes Mistakes, I Love Being a Pig film, The King of Eight, Bonanza Cast says the ABCs, Grover's Over Under and Through Song, Banana in My Ear (2 parts), Today's Secret Drawing is an Astronaut, What's My Part: Nose, Doll House Song, Granny Grouch visits (street scene), Sherlock and the Twiddlebug Mystery

• Season 3: Big Bird meets Snuffy, C is for Cookie, Ladybug Picnic, Grover and Mumford's pillar trick, Ernie counts sheep, The Mad Painter #9, National Association of W Lovers, Alligator King, Bob shows Kermit a bullfrog, Donnie Budd's Toucan Two Step, Take a Breath, The Great Cookie Thief, Capital I, Harvey Kneeslapper's I trick, M is for Moo, Would You Like to Buy an O, Fred Get Me a 20, Maria meets Grover and sings "Tu Me Gustas" (street scene)

• Season 4: Beat the Time with Cookie, Simon Soundman visits the music store, Who You Looking at Tiger, Gordon and Susan meet SAM the Robot, Jack rabbit film, Herry and John-John count to 20, A Loaf of Bread cartoon, The Count counts flowers, There's a Bird on Me, Kermit interviews the Big Bad Wolf, Roosevelt Franklin School - Loud and Soft, The King's Problem, It's a Long Hard Climb, Stevie Wonder performs Superstition

• Season 5: Sing (with Luis, Susan and Bob), Count It Higher, Jazz Alphabet, Nasty Dan, Willie Wimple cuts down trees, Fat Cat, Doin' the Pigeon, EXIT film, King Minus cartoon, Lena Horne and Grover sing How Do You Do?

• Season 6: Telephone Rock, Grover Serves a Burger, Prairie Dawn's Face Pageant, I Just Adore Four, Kermit interviews holiday characters, Luis looks for AGUA, Cookie Monster sounds out the word FOOD, Don Music writes Mary Had a Bicycle, Beetle Bailey first and last, What's the Name of That Song, Typewriter Guy - Q is for Quiet, City/Country Song

• Season 7: Fur, Grover and Buffy's guessing game, Big Bird and Snuffy Ice Follies, Chinese New Year's celebration film, Super Grover learns about haircuts, Frazzle, Ernie and Bert's rhyming game, select New Mexico scenes

• Season 8: Different People Different Ways (Buffy & Big Bird), Pinball Number Count #12, Cookie Disco, WET PAINT film, Ernie gives Bert a physical, Olivia sings about how she's grown up now, Kids do gymnastics on film, Paul Simon performs Me and Julio, Ah for the Joys of the Countryside, Dog Flea Camp

• Season 9: The Ten Commandments of Health, Sing After Me with Madeline Kahn, The Fonz shows on and off, I Beam film, It Feels Good When You Sing a Song (David & Olivia), Ernie prepares a bath for Bert's nephew, "HELP" sign cartoon, select Hawaii scenes

• Season 10: Disco D, The Grouch's Bill of Gripes, Meeting Telly Monster (street scene), Bert and Bernice play checkers, the Canadian Brass perform Little Fugue in G Minor, Ride a Bike (in Central Park), Billy Jo Jive and the Missing Wig, Herry brushes his fur (street scene), the Count counts hellos (street scene)

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Late to the game...but here are some thoughts on this post.
First, there looks like a really wide range of segments, from classic to recent and iconic to obscure. But I'm looking forward to that, and will gladly plop down some money for this DVD set.

And a wish list of classic segments I'd like to see from the first ten seasons (if they are doing it that way):
  • Season 1: ABC-DEF-GHI, Henson Baker #10, Susan sings One of These Things (episode 1), People in Your Neighborhood: Garbageman and Barber, Ernie cleans the apartment in 15 seconds, Oscar dials Melvin the Grouch, Roosevelt Franklin counts, Jazz Spies #2, Swinging Gibbon film, Five People in My Family, Somebody Come and Play, James Earl Jones says the ABCs, Being Green, Big Bird assembles a birdseed wagon (street scenes)

• Season 2: Rubber Duckie, Everyone Makes Mistakes, I Love Being a Pig film, The King of Eight, Bonanza Cast says the ABCs, Grover's Over Under and Through Song, Banana in My Ear (2 parts), Today's Secret Drawing is an Astronaut, What's My Part: Nose, Doll House Song, Granny Grouch visits (street scene), Sherlock and the Twiddlebug Mystery

• Season 3: Big Bird meets Snuffy, C is for Cookie, Ladybug Picnic, Grover and Mumford's pillar trick, Ernie counts sheep, The Mad Painter #9, National Association of W Lovers, Alligator King, Bob shows Kermit a bullfrog, Donnie Budd's Toucan Two Step, Take a Breath, The Great Cookie Thief, Capital I, Harvey Kneeslapper's I trick, M is for Moo, Would You Like to Buy an O, Fred Get Me a 20, Maria meets Grover and sings "Tu Me Gustas" (street scene)

• Season 4: Beat the Time with Cookie, Simon Soundman visits the music store, Who You Looking at Tiger, Gordon and Susan meet SAM the Robot, Jack rabbit film, Herry and John-John count to 20, A Loaf of Bread cartoon, The Count counts flowers, There's a Bird on Me, Kermit interviews the Big Bad Wolf, Roosevelt Franklin School - Loud and Soft, The King's Problem, It's a Long Hard Climb, Stevie Wonder performs Superstition

• Season 5: Sing (with Luis, Susan and Bob), Count It Higher, Jazz Alphabet, Nasty Dan, Willie Wimple cuts down trees, Fat Cat, Doin' the Pigeon, EXIT film, King Minus cartoon, Lena Horne and Grover sing How Do You Do?

• Season 6: Telephone Rock, Grover Serves a Burger, Prairie Dawn's Face Pageant, I Just Adore Four, Kermit interviews holiday characters, Luis looks for AGUA, Cookie Monster sounds out the word FOOD, Don Music writes Mary Had a Bicycle, Beetle Bailey first and last, What's the Name of That Song, Typewriter Guy - Q is for Quiet, City/Country Song

• Season 7: Fur, Grover and Buffy's guessing game, Big Bird and Snuffy Ice Follies, Chinese New Year's celebration film, Super Grover learns about haircuts, Frazzle, Ernie and Bert's rhyming game, select New Mexico scenes

• Season 8: Different People Different Ways (Buffy & Big Bird), Pinball Number Count #12, Cookie Disco, WET PAINT film, Ernie gives Bert a physical, Olivia sings about how she's grown up now, Kids do gymnastics on film, Paul Simon performs Me and Julio, Ah for the Joys of the Countryside, Dog Flea Camp

• Season 9: The Ten Commandments of Health, Sing After Me with Madeline Kahn, The Fonz shows on and off, I Beam film, It Feels Good When You Sing a Song (David & Olivia), Ernie prepares a bath for Bert's nephew, "HELP" sign cartoon, select Hawaii scenes

• Season 10: Disco D, The Grouch's Bill of Gripes, Meeting Telly Monster (street scene), Bert and Bernice play checkers, the Canadian Brass perform Little Fugue in G Minor, Ride a Bike (in Central Park), Billy Jo Jive and the Missing Wig, Herry brushes his fur (street scene), the Count counts hellos (street scene)
Looks like too many repeats from the Old School sets and 40 Years of Sunny Days, Joe Hennes said that there won't be a lot of repeats from those sets.

It probably won't have the original ABC_DEF-GHI. A trailer for this set shows that the late-1980s version will be included.

A trailer for this confirms that C is for Cookie and Ladybug Picnic will be included, while one of the press releases confirms Snuffy's debut will be included.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Here's another wishlist of mine for this. Stuff in bold has already been confirmed via either the press releases or trailers (and may not exactly be something I would have put on the wishlist otherwise). This list will include a few non-insert street scenes.

• Seasons 1-10: Sesame Street begins, Rubber Duckie, Jazz #6, James Earl Jones: Alphabet, Henson #9, Bein' Green, Bob/Sherlock Hemlock/Cookie Monster: Who are You?, Henson Ball Powder #3, Baby Monster: IS, Ladybug Picnic, Mad Painter #5, Martians: Telephone, C is for Cookie, The Snowman Salesman, Everybody Eats, Bert and Ernie: 10 Q, Herry and John-John: Q, Roosevelt Franklin: Up and down, The Count and Cookie Monster co-operate, Sing (with Luis, Bob, and Susan), Luis looks for agua, The King's Nose, Grover serves a burger, Typewriter: V-vacuum, Counting is Wonderful, earmuff salesman, Pinball Animation #2, Don Music: Old MacDonald, Surprise, Bob looks for Kermit the Hermit, Buffy breastfeeds Cody, Judy Collins: Water Cantata, scenes from Hawaii, Tooth pageant, Breakfast Time, Oscar drives a dump truck.

Seasons 11-20: Scenes from Puerto Rico. Geometry of Circles, Super Grover: Out and In School, Elmo learns the H sound, The Leslie Mostly Show: Guy Smiley, Itzhak Perlman: Easy and hard, David Disco Skates, Linda signs the alphabet, Gordon preaches rain, Bert and Ernie cross the street, Fuzzy and Blue (and Orange), We Coulda, Bert sees Snuffleupagus, James Taylor: Up on the Roof, I Don't Want to Live on the Moon, Everybody's Song, Teeny Little Superguy: Danger, Hola, Kermit News: Little Miss Muffet, Miami Mice: Ernie, Snuffy takes off, Alone in the Swamp with You, The American Revolution: National Bird, Kermit's Mystery Box, ABC-DEF-GHI, Grover and Karlena: What is love?, The How Many Game, Detective Series: A Dull Day, The Word is No!

Seasons 21-30: Elmo's Song, Alphaquest: B, Mysterious Theater: Sign of the Circle, Bert and Ernie: Opposite Game, Signs for the Hearing: Disappear, I Wonder About the World Above Up There, Whoopi Goldberg and Hoots: Feathers and Skin, Forgetful Jones: On a Roll with Cowboy Cole, Barn in the USA, En Vogue: Adventure, Tito Puente: El Timbalo, Jim Carrey: Feet, Clown Honking #8, Just Happy to Be Me, Monsterpiece Theater: Little House on Prairie, Little Miss Count-Along, Felines, AlphaBoy: F-feathers, I'm Sad Because I'm Happy, Super Morphin' Mega Monsters: Blue monsters, Suzie Kabloozie hates the letter F, Fay Family: Popcorn, Worms in Space: K, Girls of the World, Things That I Remember, REM: Furry Happy Monsters, Ernie's Show and Tell: Trumpet, Patti LeBelle: Gospel Alphabet, Cooking by the Numbers: 12, scenes from Elmo's World: Transportation.

Seasons 31-40: Keb Mo: Ev'rybody Be Yo'self, Letter of the Day: C, Number of the Day: 0, Dr. Feel meets Bob, Triangle Bob Trianglepants, Dinner Theater: Annie Get Your Gumbo, Scramalot, Can't Say the Alphabet Enough, Murray and Venetia: Breakfast, Pre-School Musical, Because We're Friends, Feist: 1234, Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures: Pirates, Yoga Y, Super K Cereal, Salty and Pierre #9, Army Ants Z, Abby's Flying Fairy School: Aladdin, Rickey Gervais: Celebrity Lullabies.

Seasons 41-50: Will.I.Am: What I Am, I Like My Hair, Elmo's Got the Moves, Spider-Monster: The Musical, Amy Poehler: Challenge, Me Am What Me Am, Upside-Downton Abbey, 18 Flowers, Estimation Vacation, Pentatonix: Numbers Medley, Cookie's Crumby Pictures: Star S'mores, Grover Can Do It All, Orange is the New Snack, Janelle Monae: The Power of Yet, Sara Barellis: Just Like Magic, Josh Groban: Hey Friend, Alessa Cara: So Much Alike, Solange Knowles: I Remember.
A few additional segments that would be good to have: The first season "Up and Down", "What Makes Music", Kermit and Bob talk about frogs, and a Spaceship Surprise sketch (actually, I'd rather have the rare Starship Surprise).

While I made sure to list every segment that's been confirmed somewhere as well as what I want, there is a clip in the trailers that I can't really identify, with a celebrity I can't identify.

But I think that's a good line-up. For each decade, I listed some stuff that primarily features the human cast (except for seasons 41-50), some animated/film segments (I feel I should have listed a few more for seasons 31-50, but I've been having so much trouble remembering what animations and film come from these decades; in fact I did some Muppet Wiki searching for some, so some of those are not so much what I really want as much as it's me feeling the need to have a few more animated bits for those decades), some group scenes with the core Muppet cast (of course there's been a lot of those this past decade), and some interactions between Muppets and kids (except for the last decade; checked the wiki and it looks like there haven't been any such segments this decade).

Of course now that we know that the upcoming 50th anniversary special will be getting a DVD release as well, maybe we'll get some more great bonus clips (it'd be great if they'd include some of the clips Joe wanted to include but had to drop).

ssetta

Reaction score
The trailer was just posted on Sesame Street's YouTube channel and it actually says it's NOW available on DVD and digital download. I thought it wasn't going to be available until October 1.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
They probably produced the trailer (like they do everything else) in advance.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
For the last few years, they've been putting out trailers for new releases at least a month in advance yet the trailers always say "now in stores" no matter how long we actually have to wait to buy it.

I saw that Sesame Street posted the trailer on their official channel, it's just the same trailer that's been online since June or July.

Status
Not open for further replies.