New Muppet series in development for Disney's 2019 streaming service

Status
Not open for further replies.

xSunnyEclipse

Reaction score
In this day and age I think more and more people want shows with more character development and heavier story arcs. I mean, kids cartoons are becoming more complex and arc heavy, we're even starting to see it a lot with comedies such as The Good Place, Last Man On Earth, and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Not to mention, variety shows are few and far between nowadays, and the ones that have existed recently haven't done so well (aside from SNL). So, i'm not saying that they should have 13 dramatic episodes where they ban together to defeat some big bad, but what i'm saying is the show needs to have more fleshed out plots, slightly more character development, and maybe an episode every year that changes the status quo just a little.
Yeah exactly! That’s what I was going for in my post.

If they were to have the right amount of comedy and drama, then it could probably work then just focusing on heavy adult themes like they tried to do in the 2015 show.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
If they were to have the right amount of comedy and drama, then it could probably work then just focusing on heavy adult themes like they tried to do in the 2015 show.
And it's weird 'cause ABC's other comedies weren't even like that! Of all the shows they would try to make adult (i.e. snarky and sexual) who decided it should be the Muppet one?

HJL1

Reaction score
What does everyone think the new series will be about? Will it lean more towards the 2015 ABC Series or go in a new direction. I truly hope Disney executives will brand The Muppets as a children's franchise. I do have a feeling the show will be going towards a "family friendly" direction.

BlakeConor14

Reaction score
What does everyone think the new series will be about? Will it lean more towards the 2015 ABC Series or go in a new direction. I truly hope Disney executives will brand The Muppets as a children's franchise. I do have a feeling the show will be going towards a "family friendly" direction.
The muppets in family friendly movies is fine with me but if there doing this show i want them to have a bit more of an adult comedy but not too adult so that kids can still watch. For example friends is a good example of this

The 2015 series never bothered me many said it was too adult. I knew what I was expecting from the show. Heck even in the trailer kermit made drug references and if you can't deal with jokes about drugs and sex then you shouldn't watch comedys(not aimed at anybody)

HJL1

Reaction score
The muppets in family friendly movies is fine with me but if there doing this show i want them to have a bit more of an adult comedy but not too adult so that kids can still watch. For example friends is a good example of this

The 2015 series never bothered me many said it was too adult. I knew what I was expecting from the show. Heck even in the trailer kermit made drug references and if you can't deal with jokes about drugs and sex then you shouldn't watch comedys(not aimed at anybody)
They are fine to be family-friendly but they should not be aimed at kids. Henson did not want The Muppets (Classic Muppets) to be branded as kid`s entertainment. Sesame Street was his outlet for creating entertainment for children. The 2015 series did not bother me either, the characters were not too snarky or mature, however, the writing was not strong enough. The show improved in the second half of the season but audiences simply were not interested in the characters.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I think there's ways to do adult humor without it feeling too forced or risque. No offense to anyone who liked it but, to me it didn't even feel like the Muppets. The first few episodes felt more like some depressing parody of The Office.

BlakeConor14

Reaction score
I think there's ways to do adult humor without it feeling too forced or risque. No offense to anyone who liked it but, to me it didn't even feel like the Muppets. The first few episodes felt more like some depressing parody of The Office.
As someone who wasn't born when the muppet show premiered or even muppets tonight for the matter. I liked that it was given a chance but didn't work and now Disney know to try something different this time around

Status
Not open for further replies.