1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Forum Upgrade May 25
    We will be upgrading our forum software on Saturday May 25. This is a major upgrade that will add many new features and enhance security.

3. Radionomy ends May 31
    Radionomy has announced that all US stations, including Muppet Central Radio, will be removed on May 31.

4. You Can Be a Muppeteer
    Watch the Sesame Street Puppeteer Workshop with the amazing Sesame Street performers: Jennifer Barnhart, Matt Vogel and Marty Robinson.

Dismiss Notice
  5. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

New Muppet series in development for Disney's 2019 streaming service

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by RealWonderman, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Prof Bunsen

Prof Bunsen Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm hoping for a new lineup of Muppet movies too. I liked 2011's The Muppets, except for some of the music, which seemed too frolicsome, and the continuity (The ACTUAL Muppet Studio was at Elstree Studios in London, not L.A. where the movie is set), but Muppets Most Wanted was kind of eh. I still liked how only THREE Muppets were able to recognize that Constantine was running the show until the tail end of the movie (most of them should've been able to tell right away from the accent and his questionable management, but no). It's still not going to be the same without Steve Whitmire, but I suppose life goes on. At least Dave Goelz and Louise Gold are still at it. So hopefully with a new show coming up and possibly new movies, hopefully a new input of ideas will go into them.

Froggy Fool likes this.
  2. DARTH MUPPET

DARTH MUPPET Well-Known Member

I absolutely loved The Muppets 2011 movie and Muppets Most Wanted you can tell they were made by people who get the classic Muppets from the 1970's and the 1980's! I think for whatever reason kids just don't get into the Muppets anymore but I don't think that is the fault of the movies that Disney has produced, I don't get it?

Froggy Fool likes this.
  3. Prof Bunsen

Prof Bunsen Well-Known Member

It may partly be their 2000's input, which did not have some very memorable movies (regardless of what everyone else thinks here), the direction the Jim Henson Company's going, or maybe kids or young adults these days are more into the adult humor, like Rick and Morty or The Simpsons. It's ironic because that's the kind of repertoire the Muppets are known for!

4. RealWonderman

RealWonderman Well-Known Member

To be fair, the 2015 series didn't really "fail" it just disappointed. It never reached the same numbers as it's premiere, but it was still over 5 million viewers, regularly, not accounting for DVD and online viewing. It was doing better than several other shows on the network, which were not cancelled. But, expectations were higher because it was The Muppets.

A big part of what happened was ABC had a new Network head come in and clear the slate of anything she didn't like, and one of those shows was The Muppets.

Personally, I love it. It still watch it on a pretty regular basis. It wasn't perfect, but it was never bad. And from Going Going Gonzo on, it was actually pretty great IMO...and there were some excellent episodes before that too (Walk the Swine, for instance.)

I wish they'd given it more time, because they really started to do great things with the Up Late with Miss Piggy show format (I still think it should be a real weekly late night talk show.)

I would be happy if the new show was a straight continuation of last episodes of The Muppets ABC, because the potential there was so clear!

Also, The Muppets never have been and never should be "for kids." The whole family? Yes. But there always have been, and always need to be adult themes that go over the kids' heads.

5. BlakeConor14

BlakeConor14 Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. I still watch it too my favourites are Going Going Gonzo, Swine Songs and Pig's in a blackout.
    I wish they had a second season or just a one off episode to finish off the story.

6. Froggy Fool

Froggy Fool Well-Known Member

What bugs me the most is that it's obvious that they thought that this show would get a second season. Heck, they left a cliff-hanger at the end of the season with Piggy going to Thailand (if I'm correct) and such. If they were 100% sure that there wouldn't be a second season, they wouldn't write that ending. :search: :smirk:

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  7. GuySmileyfan

GuySmileyfan Well-Known Member

I agree. I hate it when they just end it with the cliffhanger. This happens to me with Hey Arnold and that video game Epic Mickey.

LittleJerry92 and Froggy Fool like this.
  8. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

To be fair, Hey Arnold got its conclusion, even if it took over 10 years.

9. Stephanie Evjen

Stephanie Evjen Well-Known Member

Loved the Muppets on ABC, but now I am looking forward to this new show. Plus, I am hoping for more Electric Mayhem action.

Froggy Fool and MuppetsRule like this.
  10. Daffyfan4ever

Daffyfan4ever Well-Known Member

So this is like the Muppets spoofing shows and movies and things like that? Sounds exciting. It's good to hear this will be more family-friendly. If I hear the Muppets singing 'Da** reputation' again-- GRRRRR!!! Sorry. I had to get that out of my system.

I think Matt's Kermit just needs to see the spotlight a little bit more. After all, other than those who went to the Hollywood Bowl, all we've seen Matt's Kermit in were basically online videos. Again, Steve's Kermit was pretty weak the first year or so. He just needs time to develop the Kermit voice and personality.

11. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

If this is going to happen they need to have Frank Oz Steve Whitmire Jim Lewis and Kirk Thatcher involved in some way.

cahuenga likes this.
  12. LittleJerry92

Steve ain't comin' back.

Froggy Fool likes this.
  13. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Yeah, no, there's no way they're bringing back Steve at this point. But both Jim Lewis and Kirk Thatcher have worked with the Muppets under Disney, so hopefully they'll be involved. Plus, we still have Dave Goelz.

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  14. AruggeRadio

AruggeRadio Well-Known Member

My favorite moment of the 2015 series is something I'm shocked no one mentioned. After 50 years we finally saw Kermit hop, not implied, we saw him hop up from behind his desk, then out the window. I mean he is a frog after all ;-).

BertsNose and Froggy Fool like this.
  15. BertsNose

BertsNose Active Member

This sounds like very exciting news. I hate that this makes me want Disney's new streaming service. I already have Netflix and Hulu which is probably expensive enough. Who knows how much it will cost to get this. If it does end up bootlegged elsewhere on the internet, I don't want to risk giving my computer a virus or something by searching for it.

It kind of makes me wish the 2015 show that was on ABC wasn't cancelled, because at least it was on a station that everybody has. I actually liked that it was a little more mature and adult. I guess I will just wait for when more details of the show will be released or if by some miracle it ends up on Hulu. I don't know if this is true but in a comments section somewhere someone replied to me saying that Disney apparently owns Hulu now through the Fox merger so they guessed that's the form it might take. I know Disney owns the Muppets so it would make more sense if the show to be on the new streaming service. I just don't want to have to beg my mom to pay for a third streaming service just so I can watch the new Muppet series whenever it comes out.

Froggy Fool likes this.
  16. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Here's the thing about streaming services: you don't need to commit to more than a month at a time unless you pay for a year.

At a certain point, you can essentially just go the route of "This month I'll get Netflix, then next month do Hulu, and the month after Disney's thing."

17. GuySmileyfan

GuySmileyfan Well-Known Member

I know that, but it's been years to find out if Arnold met his parents or not.

18. LittleJerry92

Better late than never.

Froggy Fool likes this.
  19. BarneyNedward

BarneyNedward Member

I can't wait for this. I'm going to use my Christmas money for next year to pay for a few months. I hope this streaming app will be where the New Warriors series will air.

20. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

For the most part, I feel like the 2015 series did a good job at that (pre-reboot).