Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

LaRanaRene

Reaction score
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/la-et-cm-muppets-hollywood-bowl-20170907-story.html

There's more of Matt as Kermit in this L.A. Times Video. It's nice to see the interaction between him and Piggy. Starting to warm up to Matt.
I'm happy to say, I'm starting to warm up to Matt's Kermit. I wonder, is that a new Kermit puppet, or is Matt's hand shape just different? The head looks larger.

Also, I've noticed something about Matt's portrayal of Kermit. He seems a bit more... sarcastic? Do you know what I mean? And his overall tone is a lot calmer than Steve or Jim. It might just be me, but his portrayal (so far) reminds me of the early Kermit;

EDIT: Also Piggy is meaner than usual. Her personality seems to fluctuate a lot, doesn't it?

Last edited:

ErinAardvark

Reaction score
Well, I'm not quite sold just yet. It's getting better, but
Okay, you guys might hate me for this, but I thought Matt was spot-on with Kermit in that clip.
I'm the one who's gonna get the hate. While I do believe Matt is getting better, I'm still not quite sold. I will probably never be completely sold, actually. And before you start jumping down my throat and accuse me of being a "blind follower" of Steve's, let me just say, my favorite Kermit was Jim's, and therefore, I really never was completely sold on Steve's Kermit, either.

Muppetboy09

Reaction score
I'm the one who's gonna get the hate. While I do believe Matt is getting better, I'm still not quite sold. I will probably never be completely sold, actually.
I don't think that deserves any hate at all. Change is really hard to get used to, especially after having one performer do Kermit for over 20 years. It's completely natural to be on the fence.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Well, I'm not quite sold just yet. It's getting better, but

I'm the one who's gonna get the hate. While I do believe Matt is getting better, I'm still not quite sold. I will probably never be completely sold, actually. And before you start jumping down my throat and accuse me of being a "blind follower" of Steve's, let me just say, my favorite Kermit was Jim's, and therefore, I really never was completely sold on Steve's Kermit, either.
I probably come the closest to being a 'blind Steve follower' on this site and even I must admit that Matt has some potential. I'm with you on probably never being completely sold on the 'New Kermit'. Steve's performance will always be my favourite and I honestly don't see a problem with that.

Sure, I'll support Matt's performance, but I'll never be shouting it's brilliance from the rooftops.

I don't think that deserves any hate at all. Change is really hard to get used to, especially after having one performer do Kermit for over 20 years. It's completely natural to be on the fence.
I can't tell you how many times I've nearly fallen off that fence never to return. :wink::big_grin::smile::coy:

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Matt's certainly a talented performer, but there's a lot to get used to with this change. To me, it sounded like a fan performing Kermit for something like a YouTube fanvid, but not the real, actual Kermit.

Did you say 'probably'?
Oh silly me!

Correction: I am the embodiment of a 'blind Steve follower'...minus the 'blind' part.

Is that better?

xSunnyEclipse

Reaction score
I probably come the closest to being a 'blind Steve follower' on this site and even I must admit that Matt has some potential. I'm with you on probably never being completely sold on the 'New Kermit'. Steve's performance will always be my favourite and I honestly don't see a problem with that.

Sure, I'll support Matt's performance, but I'll never be shouting it's brilliance from the rooftops.
My thoughts exactly.