Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

Muppet Master

Reaction score
"Henson granted an in-depth interview of his own in order to explain what actually happened from his perspective, even going as far to say that he should've let Whitmire go before selling the company to Disney in 2004.

"I have to say, in hindsight, I feel pretty guilty that I burdened Disney by not having recast Kermit at that point because I knew that it was going to be a real problem," Henson told THR. "And I have always offered that if they wanted to recast Kermit, I was all for it, and I would absolutely help. I am very glad we have done this now. I think the character is better served to remove this destructive energy around it."

"he was warned as far back as the mid-1990s needed to stop"

Ugh. This has been a problem since MTI days! I don't even know what to think anymore.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Is anyone else going to view some of the early - to - mid '90s and further productions differently?

Like, when I watch Muppet Christmas Carol later this year I'm probably going to be thinking "were they unhappy with Steve as early as this?"

Same thing with Muppet Treasure Island :frown: and so on
I try not to think of things like that when watching TV and movies, but I can see where you're coming from on that.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, here's my current interpretation of the situation:

I'm going to guess that once Steve became Kermit that perhaps that was a little too much of a boost for his ego and probably made him feel like he could call more shots than he should - but at the same time, I still believe that Steve had the best intentions of wanting to do right by Jim and by the Muppets in general, so he probably got too complainy/nitpicky about certain directions made - particularly when Disney bought them.

Faylo

Reaction score
Oy. This is such a tangled web. I'm just wondering the thoughts of Dave, Bill, Peter etc. On this whole matter. Maybe have been hushed by the mouse?

Even those who have worked with Steve in the past... I'd like to hear some support. I truly think that Steve had good intentions (and I'm still supporting him!), but Cheryl's response put a sour taste in my mouth.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So now I wonder if perhaps this has something to do with him no longer being with SST? Were they having problems with him too?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
So now I wonder if perhaps this has something to do with him no longer being with SST? Were they having problems with him too?
I snook a peak at one of the newer articles about the situation and an anonymous source said that Steve was fired from SS as well, but for financial reasons (he wanted more money).