The Steven Universe thread

DramaQueenMokey

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification you guys! So, as I'm typing this, one of my few Steven Universe buddies is texting me and, she's trying to determine who she hates more, Larz or Ronaldo. Personally, I've never liked Larz and Ronaldo I could do without but, I still like him better than Larz; the way Larz treats Sadie is absolutely foul D< Thoughts on that one?

Harleena

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification you guys! So, as I'm typing this, one of my few Steven Universe buddies is texting me and, she's trying to determine who she hates more, Larz or Ronaldo. Personally, I've never liked Larz and Ronaldo I could do without but, I still like him better than Larz; the way Larz treats Sadie is absolutely foul D< Thoughts on that one?
I don't hate either. Ronaldo is hilarious and is pretty much a representation of those fans who come up with crazy theories (I still believe in the theory that Lapis is a former Crystal Gem). Lars is a bit of a jerk, though.

Harleena

Reaction score

This is a cute screenshot, except for one thing:
Stars are the symbol of the Crystal Gems.
Diamonds are the symbol of the gems who serve Yellow Diamond, a character who is almost definitely evil.
Connie has diamonds in her eyes, while Steven, a Crystal Gem, has stars in his eyes.
It could just be a coincidence, but it could be something more sinister. Maybe Connie is also a half-gem, like the daughter of Yellow Diamond? Extremely unlikely, but it would add a really interesting twist to the show. And it's not like the show hasn't had subtle foreshadowing before. The fact that Garnet had two shooting stars in the old intro wasn't a coincidence…and let's not forget that moment when the Centipeetle briefly took on a human shape (a couple of episodes later, the show went all Madoka on us…I'm seriously scared that Lapis is gonna turn out like Sayaka Miki. I just know it's gonna happen).

DramaQueenMokey

Reaction score
the show went all Madoka on us…I'm seriously scared that Lapis is gonna turn out like Sayaka Miki. I just know it's gonna happen).
WHOA, WHOA WHOA...I don't know about that...Madoka is one messed up world and, when I stared watching that, I thought I'd signed up for a very similar to Sailor Moon type dub and I was SO wrong...

But, I think Steven Universe is a little better about not plowing all us fans down with a steam roller. If something sinister is at work, it will be handled well at least. The Sayaka Miki thing was very expected and handled terribly in my opinion.

Harleena

Reaction score
WHOA, WHOA WHOA...I don't know about that...Madoka is one messed up world and, when I stared watching that, I thought I'd signed up for a very similar to Sailor Moon type dub and I was SO wrong...

But, I think Steven Universe is a little better about not plowing all us fans down with a steam roller. If something sinister is at work, it will be handled well at least. The Sayaka Miki thing was very expected and handled terribly in my opinion.
Well, she'll either go Sayaka on usor make a heroic sacrifice. I think that if she goes out, it'll probably be a heroic sacrifice. I guess I just took the similarities between the shows a bit too far there. But then again, Madoka only had 12 heart-wrenching episodes. Who knows how long Steven Universe will last? They have plenty of time to give us feels. "Sworn to the Sword" and "Keeping it Together" were pretty sad, IMO, but they haven't gone full out sad yet. And I personally think that the Sayaka thing could have been handled better, like with less obvious foreshadowing. I saw it coming, but I didn't see Kyoko's thing in that episode coming at all.
P.S. If I ever see Kyuubey, I'm drop-kicking that thing out the window.

DramaQueenMokey

Reaction score
P.S. If I ever see Kyuubey, I'm drop-kicking that thing out the window.
Agreed, ha ha!!!

But, yeaaaaah; that's the thing about Steven Universe, there is room for everything to happen and, the pacing is well thought out and not at all rushed by any means.

Either way, I'm excited to see what happens :big_grin:

Harleena

Reaction score
Agreed, ha ha!!!

But, yeaaaaah; that's the thing about Steven Universe, there is room for everything to happen and, the pacing is well thought out and not at all rushed by any means.

Either way, I'm excited to see what happens :big_grin:
Me too! I just hope that the only Gem who dies is Yellow Diamond, maybe. I kind of want to see a Homeworld Gem redemption as opposed to Jasper dying a Disney Villain-esque death.

As for Madoka, is it bad that I cried more at the death of an Apatosaurus who had absolutely no character development and was completely expendable in Jurassic World than I did during the big moment in the third episode?

snichols1973

Reaction score
I don't hate either. Ronaldo is hilarious and is pretty much a representation of those fans who come up with crazy theories (I still believe in the theory that Lapis is a former Crystal Gem). Lars is a bit of a jerk, though.
Ronaldo sounds quite a bit like a teenaged version of King of the Hill's Dale Gribble (minus the guns and the exterminator business); Ringo from the Garnet's Universe episode tends to be a fantasy parallel version of Ronaldo, which is rather ironic, since Ringo and Ronaldo are both voiced by Zachary Steel:

http://www.steven-universe.wikia.com/wiki/Ringo

According to the Cultural References section of 'Sworn to the Sword":

Connie's training outfit and fighting style appear to be based on Kalaripayattu, a martial art that originated in the Kerala region of India; the outfit also resembles Piccolo and Kid Gohan's Gi from Dragon Ball Z.

Like in "Steven the Sword Fighter", some of the sword fight shots are shot-for-shot homages to sword fights in the anime Revolutionary Girl Utena.

http://www.steven-universe.wikia.com/wiki/Sworn_to_the_Sword

Harleena

Reaction score
Um, guys? I heard something that's kind of extremely important about Sardonyx. Steven's Latin American voice actress tweeted this: "esperaremos un poco si porque será en el episodio 64. faltan bastantes semanas para su estreno pero ya conocimos a #sardonyx". I don't speak much Spanish, but I ran it through some online translators. Here are the results by website.
Google Translate:
"We wait a bit if that will be in episode 64 missing several weeks for release but already met #sardonyx"
Translate.reference.com:
"We will wait a little if it will be in the episode 64. quite a few weeks for its premiere but we already met #sardonyx"
Worldlingo:
"we will wait for a little if because will be in episode 64. they lack enough weeks for its opening but already we knew #sardonyx"
freetranslation.com:
"We will wait a bit if because it will be in the episode 64 are missing quite a few weeks for its premiere but already we met #sardonyx"
Attempting to translate word by word:
"To wait for a bit if because it will be in the episode 64. To miss quite weeks for her debut but already we met #sardonyx"
HAS SARDONYX BEEN HIDING IN PLAIN SIGHT THE WHOLE TIME? WAS THAT JOKE TUMBLR RIGHT ALL ALONG?!

Drtooth

Reaction score
After a painfully long wait, Garnet and Pearl got their fusion. I love how she's a tacky Las Vegas side show type. It's like the combination allows them to both lose their inhibitions and become an extremely outgoing. And I had a feeling that her powers would be a combination of strength and clean cut precision. Sugolite being careless power.

The obvious concept of fusion being a stand in for sex is one thing, but I really think it's so much more than that. Remember what Garnet said about Stevonnie. It's an experience. It goes to show how fragile Pearl really is. Not to mention that line about "I'm telling you for your own good, and not because I'm..." from that episode. Nice that they accentuate this one with Amethyst singing a similar song about being left out.