Joey Calvan (the little girl who sang the alphabet with Kermit)

Gordon Matt

Reaction score
Hello. I was just watching the Sesame Street 20th anniversary special (20 And Still Counting) the other night -- I hadn't really sat down and watched the whole thing since it originally aired. Anyway, they included a few of those "Muppet and kid moments" and in a couple cases (Herry and John-John, and a scene with Kermit and two young girls) they actually had these kids come on as adults (or however old they were in 1989) and John-John even counted with Herry again as an adult "for old times sake." They showed the clip of Kermit and Joey singing the alphabet -- I'm sure you know the one, "Q - R- Cookie Monster" with the letters of the alphabet superimposed on the screen, and they even made a graphic of Cookie Monster to be used in that scene. It's a great clip! Anyway, it got me curious because unlike the others, Joey did not make a current (1989) appearance in the special. I'm just curious about what happened to her, if she is still living, etc. I looked on line and at least was able to identify her as Joey Calvan. But I suppose if she wanted to be "found" she would have appeared on one of these retrospectives or done some kind of interviews somewhere along the way, right?

BertsNose

Reaction score
I just watched Joey and Kermit on youtube. Her laugh when she says "Cookie Monster" was so adorable and the ending of that clip with the kiss was so cute. I recently made a list of hilarious moments and forgot to add that to it. Sorry that doesn't really answer your question but I just felt the need to comment on the cuteness of that moment. I never really sat down and watched the 20 years special. The first time I heard of it I saw a clip on youtube of Bill Cosby and Kermit in his reporter outfit and Bill begged Kermit to ask him the question of the day. I thought that was really funny when Cosby first sees Kermit and acts all excited.

Gordon Matt

Reaction score
I just watched Joey and Kermit on youtube. Her laugh when she says "Cookie Monster" was so adorable and the ending of that clip with the kiss was so cute. I recently made a list of hilarious moments and forgot to add that to it. Sorry that doesn't really answer your question but I just felt the need to comment on the cuteness of that moment. I never really sat down and watched the 20 years special. The first time I heard of it I saw a clip on youtube of Bill Cosby and Kermit in his reporter outfit and Bill begged Kermit to ask him the question of the day. I thought that was really funny when Cosby first sees Kermit and acts all excited.
It is a great clip, one of the all time great moments. One other scene in the special I thought was really cool. It was a segment about major life events, with clips of Miles' adoption, Maria and Luis's wedding, birth of Gabriela and they had just played the clip of Big Bird being told about Mr. Hooper's death. Bill Cosby is talking all serious about how Big Bird learned about love, marriage, adoption, birth, death and how Sesame Street is constantly changing, just how life is constantly changing. Suddenly Cookie Monster appears and corners Cosby: "HEY COS! YOU GOT COOKIE?" "Some things never change," he says.

Gordon Matt

Reaction score
Speaking of Mr. Hooper's death...I just looked at that show again and at the top of the show we see Gordon coming out of Big Bird's residence with kind of a troubled look on his face for a few seconds, just before he meets Forgetful Jones. I wonder if that's when Big Bird was first told (offscreen) of Mr. Hooper's death? Or maybe Big Bird had just perplexed him with some other kind of silliness like walking sideways or standing with his head between his knees.

fozzieisfunny

Reaction score
So... did anybody find any information about this? I'm very curious, as well.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There are lots of references to her on the internet, and almost all of them just refer to that one clip, with no further biographical information.
The Muppet Wiki page for her at least lists other skits she did (and I did the majority of that editing).