Votes: 18 9.9%
  • 2 Stars - Fair

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • 1 Star - Poor

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters

beaker

Reaction score
It feels like the writers looked at a couple of Muppet Show episodes and thought, "Oh I see! The joke is that it's a terrible show! We'd better drive home how pathetic the Muppets are and how audiences need to be PAID just to see them! That's funny, right?....Ha ha?..." Totally lack of understanding. Painful. And you're right, for Disney that's kinda shocking.
But that is the joke. In so many of the episodes of 5 TMS seasons. People somehow remember Statler and Waldorf continually slamming the show, but Kermit and many others do that as well. Within the world of the TMS backstage they're aware it's a "terrible" show noone will want to watch. MMW the more I think about it is closer to the original Muppet show than I first thought

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
I am always reminded of the statement that was made about Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers: "She gives him sex appeal. He gives her class."

True, that, although Piggy is definitely in a class by herself....
Can't argue with that logic! There's first class, there's Gold Class and then you've got Piggy Class.

beaker

Reaction score
I must be the odd one of the bunch then. I have seen everything the Muppets have done Movie and TV shows and love just about everything they have done. With the few exception of MWoO. I even really enjoy MFS, KSY, and the Muppet parts of the Lady GaGa thing. I just feel weird that I like all of that and so many on here bash them.
I think Letters To Santa, despite the truncated 45 minute allotment, is the best looking
Muppet production since Jim Henson's passing. Least before MMW. Noone really talks about that one, but to me it has such a great look and vibe. REALLY wish it had been 90 minutes like Oz and AVMMCM(which I only like a few scenes from)

beaker

Reaction score
Also I too am kind of sick of the Kermit/Piggy relationship being brought up in EVERY SINGLE tv interview/press junket, with Whitmire having to do the shrug crinkleface Kermit expression, trying to sheepishly avoid the question. It's so old. And tired.

Just have a public Hollywood wedding and be done with that already. "So what's the deal with you and Miss Piggy?". No. Just no. Stop asking that. It's lame

Also Mr Baretta...I love your work. You're my fave performer. BUT PLEASE PUT PEPE IN SOMETHING OTHER THAN THAT STUPID BLACK TURTLENECK AND GOLD CHAIN FOR THE LAST DECADE.

*whew*

/rantover :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But that is the joke. In so many of the episodes of 5 TMS seasons. People somehow remember Statler and Waldorf continually slamming the show, but Kermit and many others do that as well. Within the world of the TMS backstage they're aware it's a "terrible" show noone will want to watch. MMW the more I think about it is closer to the original Muppet show than I first thought
Yes that's the joke and on Muppet Show it was perfectly executed. Kermit glumly yet hopefully calling it a "second rate variety show" to Mark Hamill is funny from a character standpoint. You are laughing WITH the Muppets. In MMW the joke is now ON the Muppets and that is very different. Some people can get behind that. That's cool. I cannot. I've already forgotten this movie existed. Except Kermit's scenes, can we talk about those instead? Lol

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not sure a lot of fans really get the joke Constantine was representing.
I mean think about it folks. Think of all the cliches he represents

1. Conflating Muppet Show with Sesame Street. The first scene we see of Constantine assuming the role of Kermit is thinking Muppet Show is Sesame Street

2. The average American who always get's the Muppets names wrong(I love Fonzie and Gozno and Ralph and the two old guys)

Did people not catch this? I totally think these were great jabs done on purpose
Even if I didn't like the film at all, I'd have to admit, Constantine was awesome. I'd say he's as great a villain as Doc Hopper and Nicky Holiday. I'd have to admit, the villains since then are a little on the weak side... okay, maybe not Tim Curry as Long John Silver... he was so delightfully hammy as usual that he made that movie better than it was. And, well... Jeffery Tambor stole the otherwise meh Muppets From Space. But I look at Rachel Bitterman and Tex Richman and just think, boilerplate kid's movie villains. Because they cut off Tex's birthday party back-story, he almost comes off as a designated villain that's ramped up to be evil. No wonder why Fox Business was calling it some commie brainwashing whatever.

But the Constantine/Badguy dynamic was something that felt like classic Muppet Movie to me. Even manages to have a cartoony, almost Bullwinkley vibe to it, having Badguy as the ever suffering sidekick. Muppets usually chew the scenery (Cookie did it literally) but Constantine stole every scene he was in for me. And it is Fridge Brilliance that Constantine combines Sesame Street and The Muppet Show. Especially since he watched both to get Kermit's mannerisms. I especially loved how his mannerisms kept getting more and more exact as the film went on. Nice touch.

Also. I've noticed I'm not the only one who thinks Matt used a similar voice for Constantine and The Count. Somehow, more fridge brilliance struck me. Constantine would be a character Jerry would have played.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Also I too am kind of sick of the Kermit/Piggy relationship being brought up in EVERY SINGLE tv interview/press junket, with Whitmire having to do the shrug crinkleface Kermit expression, trying to sheepishly avoid the question. It's so old. And tired.

Just have a public Hollywood wedding and be done with that already. "So what's the deal with you and Miss Piggy?". No. Just no. Stop asking that. It's lame

Also Mr Baretta...I love your work. You're my fave performer. BUT PLEASE PUT PEPE IN SOMETHING OTHER THAN THAT STUPID BLACK TURTLENECK AND GOLD CHAIN FOR THE LAST DECADE.

*whew*

/rantover :smile:
It's one of the main reasons that keeps the Muppets going though. Whether people wanna admit it or not it's true.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The only Constantine joke I laughed at at all was the Fonzie thing. And maybe the cheese thing. But I will say I have really adored some online interviews Constantine did with Gervais. It's frustrating when you KNOW there's potential there but somehow the final script felt off. Stupid studios, lol.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
The only Constantine joke I laughed at at all was the Fonzie thing. And maybe the cheese thing. But I will say I have really adored some online interviews Constantine did with Gervais. It's frustrating when you KNOW there's potential there but somehow the final script felt off. Stupid studios, lol.
Oh yes! Those jokes and the "cheese" thing cracked me up. :laugh:
I agree! The writing was off, but the jokes from Constanine were spot-on hilarious. I will point that that talking and the counting from Constantine reminds me of the Count from Sesame Street.
On the other hand, it's a good thing I saw this movie more than once.

I will try the third time for the movie. Like I said, three times the charm. That's three, three times for a movie. Ah, ah ah!