Votes: 18 9.9%
  • 2 Stars - Fair

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • 1 Star - Poor

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters

Slackbot

Reaction score
Whew, I'm glad I missed the great Kermit & Piggy discussion. Sometimes I feel that I'm the only Muppet fan who doesn't get particularly excited about them. I don't hate that 'ship, I just am not emotionally invested in it. If they do they do, and if they don't they don't.

I saw this again today, and it's weird, but each time I see it I enjoy it a little more. The audience was upward of half-full, and they were enjoying it, although I heard some little kids getting restless during the plot-heavy segments.

One new thing I noticed was that it looks like the Happy Creature--the "thingy thing"--appeared in the gulag finale. They stuck a nose on it and possible some other stuff, but he's there. He's on the far right of the screen, but heck if I can remember which part of the song.

I brought my Skeeter puppet, and hung out a bit before and after the show with her. I love seeing how people react to seeing a Muppetlike puppet "in person." Plus, I like to show 'em how puppets work, sort of sneaking a little education in there, y'know? And nobody, adult or kid, seems to be bothered by arm rods or the Silly Creature behind her.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
I'm not even sure how the Kermit and Piggy relationship was brought up again...
Heh-heh, that may have been my fault. I asked a question about their kiss in the movie and it kinda sparked up the argument. Sorry bout that....

beaker

Reaction score
If you want to talk about Kermit's scenes in this film, I'm on board. Had a great time with him in the gulag. The rest of the film? I was trying very hard not to cry for 2 hours and I assure you I'm not even kidding. I can't recommend this film. :cry:.....

Anyway, I was genuinely touched when Kermit thought his friends truly had forgotten about him and weren't coming to rescue him. Steve did an awesome job in his performance. And it was a great, inspiring moment when Walter, Animal and That Character I Refuse to Call Fozzie finally arrived.
We must have seen two different cuts then:wink: I was crying most the film too...from laughter:smile: Seriously though, I rarely laugh at even my own favorite comedies. There was just this undercurrent of meta humor I was picking on that really got to me.

Of course though it was a stupid plot. The whole Pink Panther type vibe necessitated a hokum angle. It's how they played within the eye-rolling plot that I loved.

I honestly felt more goosebumps from the Spanish Muppet Show than the Muppet Show in 2011...which was grand, but something to me felt extra special about the version this time.

The film definitely leaves one feeling a little empty because of the jarring nature of Kermit being absent and a lack of focus on any particular side characters; though as a whole I just found it a feast for the senses with how many obscure characters got screen time. I wish they had had more gags on the train though. Really curious what got cut

beaker

Reaction score
It's a standard trope they're parodying. Simple as that. You can either do it two ways... either make it very subtle and having everyone be savvy enough to see through it or the funnier approach of making everything blatantly obvious. That's what they did here, going for the cartooniest way possible. We're not supposed to believe they're actually that dumb, we're supposed to realize how dumb everyone else is ever who was given this cliche for falling for it. Even the "he has a cold" cliche is played with. And what do Muppet movies live to play with? Cliches. Meanwhile, let's look at the opposite end of the spectrum, how dangerously genre savvy Constantine was. I've never seen evil twin played like this before. Being nice to the characters to lull them into a false sense of security by giving them so much of what they want, they're too wrapped up to notice anything is wrong.

All I'm saying, it's a standard set of tropes played with. Logic has to be set aside for plot once in a while, or you'll get a 2 minute movie.
Yeah I'm not sure a lot of fans really get the joke Constantine was representing.
I mean think about it folks. Think of all the cliches he represents

1. Conflating Muppet Show with Sesame Street. The first scene we see of Constantine assuming the role of Kermit is thinking Muppet Show is Sesame Street

2. The average American who always get's the Muppets names wrong(I love Fonzie and Gozno and Ralph and the two old guys)

Did people not catch this? I totally think these were great jabs done on purpose

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Heh-heh, that may have been my fault. I asked a question about their kiss in the movie and it kinda sparked up the argument. Sorry bout that....
It's not your fault, JimAndFrank--central to ANY discussion about the muppets is a conversation about the state of the frog/pig relationship. Neither of them can go on a talk show or and interview without being asked about it--it is one of the things that always come up.

I am always reminded of the statement that was made about Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers: "She gives him sex appeal. He gives her class."

True, that, although Piggy is definitely in a class by herself....