Your Thoughts: The World According to Sesame Street

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
What I don't get is why do they have to take their old long going battles and old mess, politicts and all that junk on the kids. It affects them. Them them their Sesame Street. Give them their childhood, peace of mind. Don't let this stuff get in the way and affect the show.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I know what you mean. Adult issues shouldn't affect children so deeply. On the other hand, it's hard to keep it from children when their homes are being attacked. One thing that documentary showed was that kids in other countries have to grow up faster, going to work for their family etc.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I noticed that at one point, there is a sampling of Rubber Duckie dubbed into a few different languages. It's been awhile since I last saw Sesame Street: 20 and Still Counting, but is this just a clip from the scene from that special that featured the song in a few different languages or a different montage?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
heralde said:
I know what you mean. Adult issues shouldn't affect children so deeply. On the other hand, it's hard to keep it from children when their homes are being attacked. One thing that documentary showed was that kids in other countries have to grow up faster, going to work for their family etc.
Yeah, but like the Israeli, Palestinian virsionThw way it stoped production and the how that dont want people in those countries in the same scean or skit with eachother or talking with each other, human or muppet. I mean that want the people who are different (either one) not to be shopwn together or in the same skit. They shouldn't let this stuff affect the kids or the show. They shouldn't let it get in the way of the kids. You just can't teach kids peace or understanding or anything like that that way. It's just in invite to let the some old stuff continue to happen.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I know, it's so frustrating. It just keeps going on and on. Though I think part of their motivation for keeping them separate is the fear of other people causing trouble because of it. That's why the people in Kosovo wanted the Sesame signs to be separate. It's a mixture of fear of retaliation and yes, prejudice.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I totally agree with everyone on here. It was very hard-hitting. I loved it, I thought that it was amazing. I had no idea the type of work that everyone does at Sesame Workshop, so I was completely floored when I saw what they do all over the world. Joan Ganz Cooney should be nomiated for a peace prize; whoever suggested that in the first place has a point.
Also, I am a relatively worldly person; I'm not the pest at understanding politics at times, but I know it's important so I try to listen and learn. What i learned from this special about the way life is for children in these countries, and what they are trying to do to subtly change that, it really affected me. I think living in Nortyh America puts you in a bubble sometimes, and you can easily forget that we are the minority. We are the richest continent with so many resources, but most of the rest of the world is suffering in ways that we don't even know.
I'm really glad that I got to watch this special (yay for getting PBS up here!) and I will be buying the DVD as soon as I can, and lending it to everyone I know. :smile:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I think it's just human behavior. I mean it's what's been going on for forever over their. It's just how some people in this world are or it just the way things are or the way the world works. I maen their are people in this world how hate us and want to do horible thigs to us that I can't say on this site and what us dead just because of our belief, or because we believe in freedom. Heck, they don't even need a reason, that's just what they want. I might come across as rude or disrespectful or intolerant but that's just waht some people's very belief is.

BEAR

Reaction score
TheJimHensonHour said:
yes I know who she was just couldn't remember her name...I'm sorry to say but she may have come up with the idea but to me jim and the people working on the show made it magical.:flirt:

Sorry, just helping you out, but anyway...:smirk:

It was really the collaboration of the whole team: Joan Ganz Cooney (creator/founder), Joe Raposo (music), Jeff Moss (writing) Jim Henson (puppetry), Jon Stone (director) and the cast of actors/performers, the research team, etc. Without any of those elements, Sesame Street would not be the phenomenon it has become.:stick_out_tongue:

BEAR

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
Joan Ganz Cooney should be nomiated for a peace prize; whoever suggested that in the first place has a point.
That was me!!:excited: What do I win?

Lynn Lamousin

Reaction score
I saw this when it premiered at Sundance. I was in a press screening and there was a mass exodus within the first 15 minutes. I stayed until the end, but buyers weren't interested. It was definitely more of a marketing piece than an unbiased documentary. With that said, I did enjoy it.

Lynn