Your Thoughts: The World According to Sesame Street

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I've seen Sesame park before. When I was at visiting my aunt and uncle's house in Detroit. It's so close toCanada that they run it up there. I think the Original one run's their own Canadian skit with their own puppets up their. It's pretty cool.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
I've seen Sesame park before. When I was at visiting my aunt and uncle's house in Detroit. It's so close toCanada that they run it up there. I think the Original one run's their own Canadian skit with their own puppets up their. It's pretty cool.
My mom whached the special last night and she loved it. She's been a fan of the show sense the beginning and she said it's good what their doing and at least thrie keeping up with the times.

She likes that they keep up with the times, and I don't know if I should say this here, but she's trunung 50. On offens to those who think they should keep the old stuff. But I get what you people mean, I mean it's not good to just let is die or anything being such an important part of our youth and everything.

Big Bird Fan

Reaction score
That DVD box art was very misleading. They really should have picked something else because, as others have said, that was a lot more intense than I thought it would be.

I really liked it though. I've always been interested in the international versions. It was great to see behind the scenes of the international versions and how hard it was to get some of them going. My favorite part was seeing the joy on those puppeteers faces in that one country when they finally got their Muppet's. :smile:

That saddest part had to be the country (sorry, can't remember what it was called) where they two people hated each other and the kids did as well. It was so sad to see the interview where the kids said they didn't like each other, but didn't really know why. It was just because their parents said so. :frown: That's one of the countries that needs Sesame Street the most.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
I've heard of Sesame Park before, but I never actually saw it before... I think two of their Muppet characters include like a large polar bear and like a French-Canadian sea otter or something.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Big Bird Fan said:
That saddest part had to be the country (sorry, can't remember what it was called) where they two people hated each other and the kids did as well. It was so sad to see the interview where the kids said they didn't like each other, but didn't really know why. It was just because their parents said so. :frown: That's one of the countries that needs Sesame Street the most.
Yeah, Kosovo is a tough situation. It's hard to try and promote peace and understanding when the people are still attacking each other and afraid. It's hard to like or understand a group who is trying to hurt you.

But it's not impossible; all the Sesame Street people can do is just try to give the kids a different perspective to grow up with and hope it pays off later.

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
Big Bird Fan said:
That saddest part had to be the country (sorry, can't remember what it was called) where they two people hated each other and the kids did as well.

yeah the one kid sayed he hated them becouse "they burnt down our house", or somthin like that. I ONLY watched a 1/2 hour of it. i thought it was gonna be on at 9 but my PBS (channel 12) had it on at 10pm. and plus i had to wake up at 4 30am and be to work at 6 so i ONLY seen so much. so MAYBE i will by the dvd... IF i see it. :smirk:

beaker

Reaction score
TheJimHensonHour said:
wow seriously...such mixed emotions over this thing...I love what Sesame workshop and Jim have done for the world even more after watching this.
But some times I guess I tend to forget what an evil place this world is and how much I really can have such hate for anything outside of my own little world.
The things I saw on this made me very very sad...those people working so hard to get the show done when they finally got it on the air I started to cry it was just so beautiful.
This world is sooo sooooo sooooooooooo very dark and full of hate but it's nice to see some people makign a differnce in it.
One thing I would have done at the end of the credits though would be to thank Jim Henson for his vision.
I got a bit choked up when they said his name to..when the lady said Jim would have loved that I totally agreed he would have shame he's no longer around to agree.
You know I never really thought of it before but you know if he was still here on earth with us I bet you anything he'd be a member of Muppet Central and talking to us all.
All and all wonderfull program saw sooo many things I would never have seen other wise.
Yeah I was a bit dismayed they didnt really mention or even acknowlege Jim Henson...its like HELLO! But...

Yeah a lot of people forget just how beyond evil and soul crushing the globe has become..from Darfur, Sudan, the Congo, Tanzania, Sierra Leone, Rawanda, etc in Africa...to the middle east, to former Yugoslavian countries, to Israeli controlled Palestine to Chechnya to all over. Im a big political/history/socio geo political researcher...and thankfully(or not)
this documentary didnt go into to even a 20th of the truly unthinkable things happening worldwide on a massive scale...

And THIS is why people need to realize the Muppets arent just some fad from their childhood...people should LOOK at the amazing positive effect Jim Henson's work has had and is having right now. For a lot of these kids, who have no education but instead work at a small age or see alot of horror or extreme poverty...this maybe the only glimpse they see into positivity and education.

Everyone laughed and made fun of the "Aids muppet", in their ignorance they do not see how massive a pandemic it is in certain regions, where 99% of its victims are straight.

Those politicians in Washington who DARE to threaten to cut off PBS have no idea about the true positive outreach Sesame Street has had.

Yes, the Israeli/Palestinian joint effort did not go off as they had wanted, but at least they tried. Everyone is taught to hate at such a young age. In America children are taugh to hate Muslims/Arabs, in the Arab world many kids are taugh tto hate Americans and Jews/Israelis. In Northern Ireland kids are taught to hate opposing religions. In Russia kids are taught to hate darker skinned Russians. It's all a sickness that the children of today will have to shake. And when ya have 7-9 year olds in Africa taught to kill and butcher villagers as part of state sponsored genocide death squad millitias, you know
that were going to have to work a little harder.

Or in Europe, Israel, the middle east and lower Asia where hundreds of thousands of children are either forced into sex slavery/drug courriers, or
chose that and or slave labor to make the goods we all buy...just to pay for their familes food...again, there needs to be more of an outreach.

One big thing that stood out: Most of the people behind the business side of Sesame Street are women. That rocks. What was the name of the main lady in the documenary, Nadine? The British woman? Wow. Now that is my hero right there.

Theres some pretty dark, unflinching stuff in this documentary, some harsh language, themes, visuals, and realities that I certainly would caution people for...but its message couldnt be more timely.

The documentary I believe is now available to rent at most places, is on netflix, and can be bought at most stores now.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Not only that, the film makers and film editor behind the documentary are all women! That really surprised me (in a good way)!

beaker

Reaction score
heralde said:
Yeah, Kosovo is a tough situation. It's hard to try and promote peace and understanding when the people are still attacking each other and afraid. It's hard to like or understand a group who is trying to hurt you.

But it's not impossible; all the Sesame Street people can do is just try to give the kids a different perspective to grow up with and hope it pays off later.
Kosovo is a really complex situation, more complex than Israel/Palestine/Arab states.

You have this big former Yugoslavia, where part of the government went on a genocide campaign against Muslims in the early to mid 90's. The US wanted to intervene, but then you had Croats, Macedonians, etc in the Bosnia-Herzegonena area all at eachother. You had the CIA funding elements of al Qaeda and other Islamic extremists in a failed attempt to attack the Serb positions in Kosovo and Albania. That's where Islamic millitants have tried to fight alongside Muslim ethnic Albanians and Kosovars against the Serbs, only to try and impose extremist Islamic rule on a mostly moderate Muslim population. then you have all these other micro regions, all mismanaged by the UN and Nato(Nato who bombed the heck out of everyone in Kosovo in 1999, before the youth of the country pushed out Slodan Molosovich)
Point being EVERYONE has a deep seated hatred toward eachother that runs so deep and personal...everyone seems to be related to someone who killed someone on the other side. Sadly, you talk to the school kids in Palestine, and a lot hate the Israelis and vice versa...BUT, you do have a lot of kids
willing to meet or wanting to play with the other kids.

Ya gotta admit, Sesame Street has cajones the size of texas...to want to do a Sesame Street in Afghanistan of all places, where the US and funded alliances are still waging a fierce war all over against the Taliban and tribal warlords...I mean, wow.

My personal feeling is that every remote corner of the globe needs a Sesame production. Get one in remote parts of Mongolia/Tuva, Malaysia, Indonesia,
Iraq, Iran, the Koreas, Iceland, all over Africa, etc.

And yes, Cooney SHOULD get a nobel peace prize...is there any way to get her nominated?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
beaker said:
Ya gotta admit, Sesame Street has cajones the size of texas...to want to do a Sesame Street in Afghanistan of all places
Yeah that really surprised me too, Afghanistan still seems like a work in progress to me. I mean, if the people there want a Sesame Street that's great, but it's a very strange situation.

When the documentary was shown at The Museum of TV and Radio, Marty Robinson talked about training puppeteers in Israel and Palestine. A lot of them really didn't want to be there, filming a Sesame Street show. But they knew it might help their children and their home in the long run.