Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

zoebell

Reaction score
i haven't seen AVMMC either, actually, but a lot of people seem to like it. were kermit and piggy together in that?

is it really good? what i heard about that one was that they were trying to make them SO hip and had so many pop-culture references that it was like an episode of family guy or something.

Puckrox

Reaction score
I envy your enjoyment. Because I know I will never feel that for MFS, lol. :wink:
I dunno, I think I find things to enjoy about it because I'm so big on Gonzo and Rizzo. They're my favorite duo. Plus Bobo and Jeffrey Tambor (sp?) make such a funny team!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I dunno, I think I find things to enjoy about it because I'm so big on Gonzo and Rizzo. They're my favorite duo. Plus Bobo and Jeffrey Tambor (sp?) make such a funny team!
Oh I've always loved Gonzo too. I just didn't feel like he was in character in MFS. But agree to disagree. :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
what i heard about that one was that they were trying to make them SO hip and had so many pop-culture references that it was like an episode of family guy or something.
There are a lot of awkward attempts at seeming dark and modern that didn't really work.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
i haven't seen AVMMC either, actually, but a lot of people seem to like it. were kermit and piggy together in that?

is it really good? what i heard about that one was that they were trying to make them SO hip and had so many pop-culture references that it was like an episode of family guy or something.
Zoebell, sweetie, if you like the frog/pig dynamic, you'll like IAVMMC. It's not an original story--it's a remake of an old Christmas favorite--but NBC (who owned the muppets at that time) were trying very hard to do right by our favorite felts. The woman in charge of the muppet project (forgive me for being toooo tired to go and look for it NOW) said many of the same things that Jason said about loving the muppets and hoping to be true to them. This was also a time when everyone understood that Kermit liked Piggy, that Piggy was a star and that the muppets had fans and were loved by many. The ad-libbing in this episode was truly brilliant--watch Gonzo and Kermit during the "auditioning the acts" scene--this was GREAT! Piggy looked wonderful and Eric was doing a fantastic job with her then.

I never did understand what all the fussing was about--this was a well-done show. Most of our beloveds has good roles or at least memorable lines, it was full of feel-good feelings and the characters were pretty spot-on. Fozzie is earnest, helpful and loveably insecure. Gonzo is...indescribable, but undeniably Gonzo. Johnny and Sal have a few great interchanges. I thought they did a good job here with Scooter--making him more grown up (about time, too!) Bobo had a couple of funny lines--and Pepe is so in character you just want to peel him.

Buy a copy--go through Muppet Central to Amazon and buy a copy of this DVD for yourself. Get two free movie tickets (it qualifies) and go see the new movie, then sit in your own dark living room with your popcorn and your hot cocoa and get in the Christmas spirit with this movie. You'll be happy.

If you DON'T like the movie, send me a conversation and I'll buy it back from you! (I bought a back-up VHS of it the other day in case, you know, aliens attack or something and I had to flee and couldn't find my DVD copy. LMK--okay?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I never did understand what all the fussing was about--this was a well-done show. Most of our beloveds has good roles or at least memorable lines. it was full of feel-good feelings and the characters were pretty spot-on.
::shrugs:: I honestly barely remember any lines, I felt very depressed afterwards (in fact it gave me nightmares, seriously) and I never felt like I was watching the Muppets. Don't know what to tell you, lol. But I'm glad you liked it. : )

Misskermie

Reaction score
Yeah--I've been waiting a long time for the little twerp to say it, too. Kermit ISN'T good with expressing his emotions verbally. (Look what a mess me made, over-reacting in IAVMMC!) He has strong emotions--which we know because of his occasional outbursts--but he keeps them very buttoned-down. (Which must be doubly hard because he doesn't wear clothes!) I did want Kermit to say that he loved Piggy, but Piggy has always loved him and understood him--she doesn't get enough credit for this a lot of the time, but it is true. Because she cares about him, and knows his heart, she is willing to take what he's able to say instead of what she needs to hear and make it enough. I love her for that, for being willing to cross over the meet-you-halfway mark because she knows that he does, in fact, need her.

Yes, Why couldn't he just say, "Miss Piggy, I love you." HOW STINKIN' HARD IS THAT?
Even when Kermit was very lovey-dovey--think "Muppet Family Christmas" and "Treasure Island" and oh! The way he defended her against the others' implications of dishonesty in TGMC! Even when Kermit was sweet and obviously smitten, it was an understated sort of expression of an epic feeling. When he is sitting on the couch with his pig and her new mink at Fozzie's Mom's farmhouse, well, all seems right with the world, doesn't it? Just LOOK at that smug and happy frog!

See, when Jim was alive they were so close, and Disney has seperated them, and if it wasn't for Jason Segel, we wouldn't have even gotten an "I need you"Outta that frog. On the bright side, i assume they live together. after all, at the end, Kermit's quote in the newspaper was, "We need some time alone." Ooooooooooh!:wink:

beaker

Reaction score
I envy your enjoyment. Because I know I will never feel that for MFS, lol. :wink:
That's how I feel about a lot of Muppet/related films people hold dear. Then again, Im weird...I dont hold Empire Strikes Back as a favorite Star Wars film, and consider Return of the Jedi my absolute favorite Star Wars film. I also love the Matrix Reloaded more than the original. As it stands I would have to say MFS is now in my top 5 Muppet films under Muppet Movie, Muppets Take Manhattan, the Muppets 2011, and Letters to Santa(those being my top 4)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Zoebell, sweetie, if you like the frog/pig dynamic, you'll like IAVMMC. It's not an original story--it's a remake of an old Christmas favorite--but NBC (who owned the muppets at that time) were trying very hard to do right by our favorite felts. The woman in charge of the muppet project (forgive me for being toooo tired to go and look for it NOW) said many of the same things that Jason said about loving the muppets and hoping to be true to them. This was also a time when everyone understood that Kermit liked Piggy, that Piggy was a star and that the muppets had fans and were loved by many. The ad-libbing in this episode was truly brilliant--watch Gonzo and Kermit during the "auditioning the acts" scene--this was GREAT! Piggy looked wonderful and Eric was doing a fantastic job with her then.
If I can put both VMX and TM together (with a little TMM), Piggy needed Kermit to help focus her career and gain confidence in the entertainment field (not counting the relationship, Kermit gave her a leg up by having her join the troupe)... hence the alternate timeline where Kermit was never born, Piggy winds up alone, depressed and taking Psychic hotline jobs, but in the same aspect Kermit needs Piggy to be the star of the Muppets and to also help him feel more confident about his dream... the movie suggests (and the junior novel actually says) that the group broke up after the Kermit and Piggy fight. Even without the romantic involvement, there's a very symbiotic relationship between the two.

As far as Piggy's role in MFS, they remembered to get the part right where she's a diva... mugging the camera, being under the misconception that she'd be a reporter, telling everyone that she was. That was there, but any scene with Kermit and Piggy together was just a scene with them together... they barely seemed to interact (though that's partially because at that point in the film Frank was just looping dialogue). MFS WAS a deep movie on the part of Gonzo, and there were great scenes with Bobo and Jeffery Tambor... but some of the other characters just fell falt (and I bet that's because of the Looping of Frank's characters).