Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

Puckrox

Reaction score
You look at the extra features on the dvd, where Kermit and Fozzie are trying to interview cows in a documentary style...that right there is the kind of thinking behind the film. Just making the movie on the open road.
That's one of my favorite bits of behind the scenes footage. I also love when they're in the car as well. Jim and Frank unscripted were hilarious.

beaker

Reaction score
yeah, it's funny the way they do that. this particular one, because it's about their history and the muppet show, which IS canon, confuses things a little more. not so much in the basic plot, that the villain is going to tear down their theater- but in the relationships between the muppets themselves, because they're essentially the same in reality. that's why the kermit/piggy stuff gets confusing, with people thinking they must really be married or at least together
Well it's funny, Steve and Eric performing K and P are very adamant to interviewers in recent press junkets that what happens in the movie and other movies/specials is just acting. That they aren't actually married and that it's all just a movie. I thought it was clever how this new film acknowledges all their movies and past work, but also draws from them as a story arc(mad mooneys/sweetums scene, "together again" being referenced, the TMTM flashback in the jr novelization, etc)

I've always wondered where the Muppet Theater from TMS is suppose to take place. Though I have a feeling if you were to ask Kermit in an interview, Steve would quip that it took place in England where they filmed it. In "Fraggles Look For Jobs", the bonus Fraggle "wrap" episode from 1986, they show them in Canada where they filmed it. And Kermit recently on a Toronto tv entertainment talk program said Fraggle Rock was filmed in Canada.

The 2005 Muppets.com made it seem like the Muppet studios/theater was in Hollywood too, so maybe within accepted "story" canon it's in Hollywood. But I will say, unlike Looney Tunes and other beloved franchises, I would agree there is a loose narrative going on. Even if it doesn't always add up. The MFC "arc" ties into both Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock and the storylines they had in the late 80's with the Muppets. (I in particular have a distinct love of the 1986-early 1990 Muppet eta)

beaker

Reaction score
That's one of my favorite bits of behind the scenes footage. I also love when they're in the car as well. Jim and Frank unscripted were hilarious.
Mmm...I literally could watch hours of that footage if it existed. Is this stuff included in the newer Disney rerelease? If not, it's a shame.

It's funny how much more adult/grown up that film is compared to modern kids and family films. But overall I can't begin to describe what it is about that movie that's so incredible. I think it's just the natural way it unfolds, the music, the chemistry between Kermit and Fozzie, the look/cinematography, and how it comes together at the end. The film is VERY realistic all the way until the Animal ginormous thing, which makes that moment all the more stark at the showdown. I get goosebumps just thinking about the finale too, with the magic store/rainbow connection reprise and the zillions of Muppets/Sesame characters. *faints*

Gonzo14

Reaction score
I haven't posted regularly here in a while, but this movie warrants my comments. Also, I skimmed the first half of the comments here, so I apologize if any of this is repeats

I LOVED IT
  • Loved the references to the original Muppet Movie (especially the Rich and Famous Contract)
  • Loved seeing Uncle Deadly, Thog, Nigel, Lips, Wayne and Wanda, Beauregard, Behemoth, The Mutations, Link Hogthrob, Dr. Strangepork, etc.
  • Loved the Subtle times they place a picture of Jim Henson on screen
  • Loved Rowlf's scene "Wanna Get Back Together?" "OK" hahaha
  • Loved the "Together Again" reference
  • Loved the Cameos (I agree NPH, why aren't you hosting?)
  • Loved what I thought was Jerry Nelson doing the Announcing? (is that right?, sounded spot on if it's not)
  • Loved Breaking the Fourth Wall so many Time

Minor Issues I had
  • Several Characters could have used more screen time, especially Gonzo, Bunsen, and Beaker. Also with all the old characters they brought back, would've been cool if they all at least had a small moment of the spotlight (most of them did at least)
  • Didn't care for the Moopets, although I understand their place in the story
  • Sounds like there was a lot that got cut out, hopefully we can see those on DVD. (What happened to the jail scene from the preview)

Overall Great Movie! The Muppets are Back!

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Muppet fan123 said:
That's not true! Becuase there are TMTM refrences, so it exists in this movie
Actually, this movie flat out claims it's a movie. That's not a wedding photo ... it's a still, a screen cap. Now, since VMX acted like the Theater was a real Theater in NY, it's arguable that the movieverse is "real". However, this movie claims ALL those things were shows/movies ... even THIS movie! Thus, even if we all love the fact they're stopping with the insulting KP relationship, they still have an out that this was just a movie. On the other hand, the new movieverse has made them making up canon within its own continuity, so take your pick, really.
Gonzo's Hobbit said:
That's what he hesitates a little before delivering that line. I think he knows exactly what he's doing and the result at that point.
Agreed. It's played EXACTLY like Kermit realized what Piggy did to him ... but unlike what happened in the Muppet Show, THIS time he accepts his love for her.
On the other hand, we know they were doing a play about two young lovers who find themselves again, so even though it's "real", it's still ambiguous. :stick_out_tongue:
On the OTHER other hand, this was Kermit's play, right? Given the plot ... wouldn't it be blatantly obvious what Piggy would try to pull?
gbrobeck said:
One thing I've been wondering... the scene where everyone is sleeping in the studio in hammocks... Fozzie says he hopes it doesn't rain through the hole in the ceiling. I realize that's a partial reference to earlier in the film where it rains on Fozzie's outdoor dressing room in Reno (Save the cushions!). But is it also a reference to the end of The Muppet Movie? (The lights exploding and everything, creating a hole in the ceiling that a rainbow comes in through.)
LOL, I forgot about that ... I thought it was referencing Kermit's verse about the EM where they caved the stage in during a number. :big_grin:

MuppetsFan4Life

Reaction score
Wow.... Just wow... What a great movie! I enjoyed it from start to finish and I hope to see more from The Muppets! I think I might go see it again! :big_grin: Did anyone see it more than once already? If you did, then does it get better each time you watch it? I wouldn't be surprised if it did, 'cause this is The Muppets we're talking about!!

I like how they kinda brought back scenes/songs from the old movies (Sweetums chasing the car from The Muppet Movie, Uncle Deadly and Bobo singing "Together Again" from Muppets Take Manhattan, and of course, "Rainbow Connection" ) And I'm gonna be honest - I cried when I heard Kermit playing his banjo, because I know what was coming. And the tears just started to flow...

I also loved the many, many times they broke the fourth wall. I don't think younger audiences would get them, but I did and they really made me laugh. As I'm writing this, I'm listening to "Forget You" by Camilla and the chickens, another scene that made me laugh out loud (and dance in my seat!) . It was interesting to see where the Muppets ended up after they broke up. I didn't imagine Gonzo working with toilets, or Sam the Eagle on a news program (I thought he'd be running for President or something XD ) , but the stories, and the montage, flowed nicely. But, poor Rowlf. LOL His story wasn't in the montage, but it should've been! Sleeping in a hammock is important for a dog! Ha-ha!

The Moopets kinda freaked me out, and kinda got me thinking- if The Muppets don't really come back, would we see groups like that trying to make them popular again? Yikes... Miss Poogy was especially creepy (sharpening a knife and asking for kerosene) , but I'm glad Miss Piggy gave her a HI-YAH she wouldn't forget! But, didn't they change "omelet station" to something else? Maybe it's just me....

Let's talk about Tex Richman now! Though he wasn't as evil as Ms. Bitterman or Doc Hopper, his "maniacal laugh" is pretty awesome. XD The song, for me, was too short, but I think it was meant to be that way so the rap was completely random. And trust me, it was. Chris Cooper was awesome, but I think he was more crazy-evil than regular evil, and again, it's just me. Bobo and Uncle Deadly were great in the movie, too, and I'm glad they came back.

Now, let's talk about Walter. He's a huge fan- just like us, and though I don't have every Muppet doll or lunch box, I love what The Muppets stand for and how they give the world the third greatest gift- LAUGHTER! Walter was so funny in this movie! That electric fence had to hurt, though... Ouch... Anyway, I think all of us would faint if we saw Kermit in person or if he called us his personal friend. You know you would! Be honest! But, I'm glad Walter found his epic talent for whistling at the end. Way to go, Walter!

The songs were awesome, too! I can't stop singing "Life's a Happy Song," and I made it my goal to play this song on my piano! Is life really a fillet of fish? Eh...yes, it is. It is, so let's not argue about that. :wink: Another song I liked was "Man or Muppet?" I think I'm a little bit of both. I have the zany styles of a Muppet in a human body. And no, that's not weird! Jason Segel is a great singer and kudos to Walter for the great harmonies in that song! Obviously, I liked "Rainbow Connection," and "Mahna Mahna," and let me just say that that was the most random ending I ever saw in a movie! Does that mean yes or no, Amy? Hmm? :smile:

Wow...another long review! Uh...yeah. I love this movie so much and I would write a whole lot more, but it's early in the morning and I can't remember everything that happened. But, thanks to everyone who saw the movie; you're helping to bring The Muppets back on the big screen AND possibly on TV! Wouldn't it be great to see The Muppet Show again? Spread the word about this movie, tell your friends, your family, your teachers, your boss, your coach, your anger management group- EVERYONE! And to wrap up this review, I have one thing to say...

Mahna-Mahna!

LinkLady77

Reaction score
The movie was awesome...it opened on my birthday so I felt like the Muppets gave ME a gift that day! When I saw that scene where they are all backstage holding hands before going on stage to sing "Rainbow Connection", I got emotional. What a poignant scene...it showed the world that they are a team and they're always in it together no matter what. *tears*

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Ok, finally saw it last night, so I can have an informed opinion. Didn't want to read too much on it and have things spoiled before I could have the chance to see it. I have to say, I was very pleasantly surprised. I didn't LOVE it, but I liked it very much, and it was a lot better than I thought it was goign to be. My biggest issues with it were the musical numbers which I thought were pretty bad (aside from the ones with the Muppets like the chickens doing F-You, Kermit's song, etc.) and I really can't stand Jason Segel. I thought he overacted a little TOO much. But most of it I really enjoyed, my favorite throwback reference was the Mad Man Mooney's/Sweetums scene from the Muppet Movie. :smile:

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
Thanks, do you have a torrent copy of TMM? It would save me more time, or do you know a good website where I can download it from?
start checking around, the movie should be no more ten 10 bucks at Walmart and every Muppet fan really should own it...i personally have like 4 copys. between VHS and DVD

see, i figured the movie within the movie of TMM wasn't the real story.
see the way i always saw it was that The Muppet Movie was one of those "based on a true story" style films yet some moments are changed...given the lines

Robin the Frog: Uncle Kermit, is this how the Muppets *really* got started?
Kermit: Well, it's sort of approximately how it happened.