Your Thoughts: Sesame Street the comic from Ape Entertainment

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sesame Street issue 1 was released yesterday. Hope some of you managed to track it down.

First off, it's nice to know the high quality of which we came to expect from Boom's The Muppet Show and Muppet Classics line and Archaia's Fraggle Rock line are gleefully present here. Not to mention the comic's dialog isn't dumbed down to easy reader status. There is an opening page that discusses how to read the comic for first timers, but other than that, it puts that all aside for true to character writing.

There are several little comics following a main storyline, all with different writers and artists, all different styles. This is what I really like to see in a comic book, an anthology style. It's very faithful to this show. And much like the show, the comic has a unifying theme. This issue features comics about imagination.

The only sort of qualm I have is that the comic ends with re-purposed Bert and Ernie Great Adventures stills, but with a new storyline. It's cute, but I prefer to see original artwork. It only goes on like 3 pages, though.

Overall, a great start to the series. True to character dialogue (there's an accidental contraction in Grover's otherwise contractionless speech, and that's the only major error). It seems they're focusing on the main characters so far. Prairie Dawn is the rarest character featured, and for two stories. Elmo's in the first comic and the how to read a comic, but isn't in any of the other stories if you're wondering. And there are a couple Easter Eggs... a wrongly colored Moishe Oofnik and Bodoque pop up in Oscar's imagination, and The Count, while fantasizing about counting car parts, is seen buying a car at Nelson motors with guess who as the salesman. As for Amy's lead story, there are actually real humans drawn in the comic, including Maria and Alan. You rarely see them draw humans in Sesame Street media. Overall, a great read, and a fun collectible.​

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It seems they're focusing on the main characters so far. Prairie Dawn is the rarest character featured, and for two stories.​
At first I thought you meant that she's the rarest character to appear in the comic. So I guess you mean she's the rarest to have a significant part.

Aside from the characters you mentioned, do any other minor/obscure characters appear in the background?

Drtooth

Reaction score
At first I thought you meant that she's the rarest character to appear in the comic. So I guess you mean she's the rarest to have a significant part.

Aside from the characters you mentioned, do any other minor/obscure characters appear in the background?
There aren't any rare characters like Mumford or anyone like that so far. There really weren't any other fan favorites in the background. I think Irvine was seen in one of Oscar's imagine spots among Oscar's other relatives (which seem to have been referenced from How to Be a Grouch).

Prairie's the only character that's not really seen much on the show today that appears, and in 2 significant roles as well. Hopefully, future issues will have some more obscure fan favorites. But the characters are picked off the roster of frequently used Sesame Street Staples, though Snuffy has a larger role than Big Bird. Zoe and Abby have background cameos.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh, and for those of you curious to see the "how to Read a Comic" intro, it's on Ape's own page

It's cute and all, but the artist needs to work on his Murray. Other than one of the 5 covers, that's Murray's only appearance. I think Big Bird's too.

asg594

Reaction score
Just picked up mine today! Very great comic that is very true to the show! I really enjoyed reading it! Can't wait for Issue #2!

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
I managed to get my hands on a copy yesterday. Originally, I was planning to buy the one with Barkley, Cookie Monster, and The Count on the cover, but since the cover with Bert, Ernie, and Murray was the only one in stock, I wound up buying that one. Who knows? Someday, I might end up buying the other ones and make that epic picture!

Anyways, it was pure genius, and I enjoyed every single page of it (I especially enjoyed the Oscar/Prairie Dawn/Telly story)! I can't wait for next one to come out!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I almost wish that it came out next week, if only because the FCBD promo issue was just the first story. But it has an exclusive Elmo and Zoe pin up. I got a second one just to rip the poster out of.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Was :batty: in his normal outfit or some sort of driver costume? Was there a little numbered cloud hovering above? Would rully like it if there was a Count Counts page/story in future issues as a recurring segment as a throwback to the SST Library. And it was drawn by fellow forum member Jay Fozgett (can't find/remember his correct user name), which should be highly applauded!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just buried the comic in my closet after writing the review for Muppet Mindset. But I recall The Count in his normal costume. Jay's artwork is great. That was a very cute little tribute to Jerry, having him sell the car in Count's fantasy.

I just wish that Moishe Oofnik was colored right. Nothing's worse than an artist trying to put an Easter egg in and the colorist not being on the same wavelength.

Seriously... it was definitely Moishe. He had the fish like whiskers drawn on him.