Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Old School DVD

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Wow, that's interesting, I didn't know about that character. So they were trying to have an Hispanic slant all along.

dabauckham

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:
Believe it or not, SESAME STREET had a Hispanic character named Miguel (kind of a Luis-prototype handyman) played by Jaime Sanchez in the second season (1970-1971).

I have an old black-and-white 16mm episode from 1970 with him in it, and I also have the Time Magazine article from Nov. 1970 with Sesame St. on the cover that mentions him as one of the new human regulars.
Thanks for sharing that info, jeffkoe! That is really interesting. Here's the info I found on muppet wiki, if anyone's interested:

Jaime Sánchez (b. 1938) played Miguel in the second season of Sesame Street. Sánchez was the first Latino cast member on the show. He left the show after one season, and in Season 3, three more Latino cast members were added -- Sonia Manzano, Emilio Delgado and Raúl Juliá.
Sánchez has also appeared in Bonanza, Miami Vice and Law & Order. He recently appeared in the 2005 film Carlito's Way: Rise to Power.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
What I'd like to know is, if anyone can help... Who played the other early Hispanic human on the street, Mr. Ortiz?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
If Miguel was on the show in the secodn season, then I guess Sesame Street Unpaved and the Old School booklet were both wrong about Luis being the first human cast member to have been added to the cast. Yes, I know that several characters debuted in the same episode with him, but I figured that he was hired first.

Of course, at Muppet Wiki, there is info on a second season episode that mentions a Maria character in it.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
If the episode where the adults explain Mr. Hooper's death to Big Bird gets included in a future Old School set, I wonder if the animated Bob will introduce the episode. All of Bob's introductions on the first set were meant to be humorous, but I don't think it would be in good taste for Sesame Workshop to allow for Bob to be humorous when introducing the episode about Mr. Hooper's death, and it would be weird to see Bob be serious, and it might also be tasteless for him to be over-dramatic on such an issue as Hooper's death. I think for that episode, it would be better for there to be a live-action introduction, perhaps by Joan Ganz Cooney, Loretta Long, Bob McGraph, Roscoe Orman, Caroll Spinney, or somebody else who knew Will Lee.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I've been watching the episodes and loving it but one thing caught my eye the other night. Episode 406 has the song "Dee Dee Dee" in but at the very end of the song it cuts right after it's done. Cookie Monster is spoused to faint over but it doesn't. It goes right to the next segment. Is that a mess up or did this episode air on Noggin and they cut that part out?

dabauckham

Reaction score
Hmmm... that's a good question. Are you sure that Cookie is supposed to faint tho and not just look around confused, as he does on SS old school? (I only ask because I'm not familiar with any other version of this).

dabauckham

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I see what you mean, Kyle. I guess I don't have an answer tho. Sorry! Maybe some other non-newbie MC member would know. :wink:

Erine81981

Reaction score
dabauckham said:
Oh yeah, I see what you mean, Kyle. I guess I don't have an answer tho. Sorry! Maybe some other non-newbie MC member would know. :wink:
Thanks anyways Baukham.