Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Old School DVD

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes... Tha was one of the edits to the set indeed. Though it baffles me as to how they could get clearance to include Stevi Wonder' song "1-2-3 Sesame Street" for the Songs From the Street boxset and not his onscreen appearance from the Season 5 epremiere episode, since it was replaced by the segment where Big Bird and Grover are demonstrating the number 2 by means of Grover repeatedly doing two chin-ups, they used the sponsor ending from that very same episode for the ending of the Season 5 premiere episode included ithe DVD boxset.
Hope this helps.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Yo Ed. I hope this won't make you mad but my sister found me it just the other day at Best Buy. Thanks for letting me know you had extra one. I had gotten over to my sister's since I watch the girls and there it was. Shd left a note saying "Here lookie at what I found. Was thinking of you. Hope you like it?" So when she got home I was thank you so much. I told her that you were going to be sending me one and she was like well if I knew that I wouldn't have gotten it. But she was only teasing me. Thanks aways Ed.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Any time Kyle. At least now I know where you live in case I should ever swing by in some hereto distant future.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
So I finally finished this set. It's absolutely fabulous, I loved it. I love the music and the guest stars and the muppet moments are adorable. Yay! Please Sesame Workshop, let us have more.

Erine81981

Reaction score
The Count said:
Any time Kyle. At least now I know where you live in case I should ever swing by in some hereto distant future.
Welcome Ed. Now if you ever want to send me a letter do so. I wouldn't mind having you as a Pen Pal or Computer Pal too. That is if you can.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
The one thing about having the season openers is that they all seem to have been sponsered by the same numbers and letters. Therefore, you lose a lot of variety. And, if there is one thing I'm glad they got rid of was repeating the same skit in the same episode. I go ballistic if they use the same thing more than once in a season.
I agree. The first episode had an extra number sponsor, but that number only had one skit in the episode. However, some of the episodes had skits for numbers other than 2, even though they weren't sponsors. It was mostly segments about the numbers 10 and 20, though the Count's first skit was technically about the number 6. And quite a few bonus segments represented different numbers (I don't think any 2 segments were included as bonus sketches).

If volume 2 gets made, I hope that there is more variety in the number sponsors. If the first five seasosn are represented again, I think it might be good for it to include a first season epsiode sponsored by numbers higher than 3 (since this was the only season to have episodes ponsored by two numbers, then have an epsidoe that wasn't sponsored by 10... that number never shared sponsorship with any other numbers). Maybe have a first season episode that was sponsored by 8 and 9, a second season episode sponsored by 7, a third season epsiode sponsored by 6, a fourth season episode sponsored by 4, and a fifth season epsidoe sponsored by 20.

I am not, however, annoyed by segments being repeated in the same season. Not even (or let's say "especially") the most recent seasons, which have 26 episodes instead of 130. It seems like most of the repeated segments were ones about the number 2 and letter D, and none of the Muppet segments were repeated on the set.

Davina

Reaction score
Just got these disks (finally!!!) and am almost through them.. so far, yes, there's a good deal of repetition (esp for the number 2 skits), and that one cow skit did seem to drag a little, esp by today's standards, but over all, gotta say, I love it!!
though, gotta say.. Snuffy was kinda creepy looking on his introduction, glad he improved with age. I was born in 73, so it's been great to see some of the early stuff i missed, and the old stuff I still barely remember. (Mom would sit me down and I'd be fascinated with SS, my younger sister, however, would wander off..)
So glad I finally managed to find this :smile:

dabauckham

Reaction score
Question about Spanish on Sesame Street

Hi all,

I have really been enjoying Sesame Street Old School. I recently watched the premier episode for season 3 - I feel like this was the year Sesame Street really polished itself (IMO, there was some dead time in the season 1 and 2 premieres, like that really long cow sequence in the season one premiere). The season 3 premiere flowed perfectly. (snuffy did look a little odd, tho :halo:

Here's my question: season three marked the entrance of several new characters, including Luis, Maria, and Raul Julia (tho he only stayed one season), all of whom are Spanish speakers. Did SS not do much with Spanish until season 3? It definitely seemed to become a front-and-center issue starting in this season, but I didn't know if it was incorporated at all in seasons 1 and 2.

I think the bilingual/multicultural aspect of SS remains one of it's strongest features.

-David

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if there are any sketches that Sesame Workshop will just plain refuse to release. I hope not.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
dabauckham said:
Here's my question: season three marked the entrance of several new characters, including Luis, Maria, and Raul Julia (tho he only stayed one season), all of whom are Spanish speakers. Did SS not do much with Spanish until season 3? It definitely seemed to become a front-and-center issue starting in this season, but I didn't know if it was incorporated at all in seasons 1 and 2.

Believe it or not, SESAME STREET had a Hispanic character named Miguel (kind of a Luis-prototype handyman) played by Jaime Sanchez in the second season (1970-1971).

I have an old black-and-white 16mm episode from 1970 with him in it, and I also have the Time Magazine article from Nov. 1970 with Sesame St. on the cover that mentions him as one of the new human regulars.