Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Old School DVD

Mad Lil' Jerry

Reaction score
Old School Let down

I wanted to throw my two cents into the ring...

I really wanted to see some Little Jerry clips only to find that there were NONE. Not one single clip. I feel that there were more classic clips that didn't make the set.

I understand that it's not possible to put all the clips together... but when you look back on all the releases of VHS and otherwise... Alot of the good stuff stays on the shelf! Knowing now what I know about the set, I don't think I would have bought it. I am definately not advance ordering any more sets until I know what's on it and I am loosing faith that any Little Jerry and the monotones will ever be released to DVD

Boo!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Um... You do realize this DVD boxset presented the season premieres from the first five seasons? Cause I'm not completely sure, but it's quite possible that Little Jerry and The Monotones weren't part of the show in that timeframe. Maybe they'll be present when the boxsets reach the timeframe these characters were part of the show, if there's enough success with this first release to warrant future volumes, either of the first five seasons or of other season groupings.
Hope this helps, have a good night.

gbrobeck

Reaction score
ssetta said:
And about the closing credits. You noticed how there was a portion of the music missing in between the credits and the CTW notice? I'm guessing that during that time, they had the sponsors AFTER the credits.

That's correct. You'll find that to be the case on another of the closing credits (season 1 is the only one that has that edit.)

And to whomever mentioned Little Jerry and the Monotones, they debuted in season 2.

Greg

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Mad Lil' Jerry said:
I really wanted to see some Little Jerry clips only to find that there were NONE. Not one single clip. I feel that there were more classic clips that didn't make the set.

I understand that it's not possible to put all the clips together... but when you look back on all the releases of VHS and otherwise... Alot of the good stuff stays on the shelf! Knowing now what I know about the set, I don't think I would have bought it. I am definately not advance ordering any more sets until I know what's on it and I am loosing faith that any Little Jerry and the monotones will ever be released to DVD
I really hoped that Little Jerry and the Monotones would have been included in this set. I would have liked for it to have had Mad, from the second season. I think that Danger, Sad, Proud, and Full of Rhythym are also from this time period. I can't really tell if Telephone Rock is from sometime during the first five yearsa or the second five years (1974-1979).

So far, the only way to see these characters on video and DVD in america (I've heard that at least one international video release features Mad) is to see Rock & Roll (which features an edited version of Telephone Rock, and also features the band at the end of the video) or Sing Yourself Silly (in which Chrissy, Big Jeffy, and Rockin' Richard join Don Music in Mary Had a Bicycle).

I hope volume two features something with these guys.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I noticed that in these episodes that it is very common for a scene to fade to black. It seems less common in later episodes on the set, though still common. I wonder when it started becomming rare for a scene to fade to black and just show every skit back to back, with no transition (though I remember this happening a few times in some mid-1990s episodes, but it didn't happen often). In current episodes there is a frequent checker-pattern scene transition used for almost every sketch (it's used before every daily segment). Having a lot of scenes fade to black does make the skits seem more like commercials. I noticed at the end of the Sam the Snake sketch in the first episode that it looks like it's about to fade to black at the very end, but then cuts to the next scene.

Davina

Reaction score
i still haven't gotten this yet.. doesn't seem to actually be in stores here yet... i've asked and "oh yeah, that's out, but we don't seem to have gotten it yet.." was waiting cuz that "free shipping" deal rarely applies to ALaska.. anyway...
i have one big question... do we get to see the orange Oscar???
i'll be getting this one way or another.. as soon as it shows up up here.. but i'd really like to see that..

JoeyMuppet

Reaction score
I ordered my copy from Digital Eyes, I'll probrablly get it in the mail maybe tomorrow.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Davina said:
i have one big question... do we get to see the orange Oscar???
Yes. He appears in the first episode, and in the bonus clip of the original version of I Love Trash.

Big Bird Fan

Reaction score
I finally got my copy today. (That's what I get for being cheap and getting free shipping from Amazon) and I loved it. Unlike others, I've never bought a SS DVD before, so this was my first time seeing most of these clips.

I've only watched the first disk so far, but my only complaint was that film about milk. It just kept going on and on and on and on...just when I thought it was over it kept adding on new things and repeating itself. That music didn't help either. I felt like Bert did when Ernie was counting and kept starting over. (If you include the part that was cut where he banged his head on the dresser and ran into the camera.)

I was surprised how much I enjoyed the episode. It was a lot more entertaining than I thought. 30 dots, Kermit's Lecture, and Buddy and Jim were all funny. And I loved how Sally said she used to drink coffee when she was little. heh heh. Unscripted little kids are always funny. So glad the show still does that.

What was really great was seeing the adults get some real screen time. Not that I don't like episodes where the Muppet's are the focus, it would just be nice if humans weren't supporting characters.

If only kids who see this set would like it enough that SW would change the format back. :frown:

Now bring on volume 2!

gbrobeck

Reaction score
Yeah Sally was particularly cute in that episode. You could already see her star potential (she was played of course by Matt Robinson's real daughter Holly Robinson Peete, star of such shows as 21 Jump Street).

Greg