Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Old School DVD

minor muppetz

Reaction score
janicerulz said:
I tried Best Buy, Target, and Sears Essentials in a few locations and NO ONE has this title for sale/on the shelves. Arguably, I did not try Wal Mart or FYE (I know Sam Goody is gone), but the ones I tried are national chains.

I know I can get it at Amazon, but still, am I the only one who finds it odd that none of the major retailers are carrying this title? Someone should have had it, or at least known if it was on order at the store. Most of the associates on the floor didn't even *know* what I was talking about.
I think it's weird too. After a day of not finding it after it's release, I found one copy at Suncoast. I'm surprised that it's not easier to find. Target, Toys R Us, and Walmart usually sell a lot of Sesame Street DVDs. Not that I was really interested in buying it, but The World According to Sesame Street is also hard to find, and Target is the only store that I've found it at (though at least Target had more than one copy).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder what segments will be promoted on the packaging on volume 2, if it comes out. The packaging for volume 1 pretty much only mentioned songs that are included, without talking about specific non-music sketches, I guess either becasue they didn't want to list an official title (not many people would know the official titles for each segment), or they didn't want to describe any particular moments. Of course, segments could have been described. The songs aren't the only material from the show that are really famous.

Here is how the box could have mentioned some non-music segments: "Relive such famous moments as Ernie making a clay sculpt of Bert, the story of The Monsters Three Wishes, the Sesame Street News report on Rupunzel, "A loaf of bread, a quart of milk, and a stick of butter", and The Amazing Mumford turning Grover into a rabbit, among other moments".

Most of the songs from the first five years that most casual fans are most likely to know about are included. While a lot of these songs were remade, and some were even remade during the first five years, people might not be aware of the fact that songs were remade. They may be familiar with certain songs but not neccessarily any specific version (though I think Rubber Duckie and C is for Cookie are exceptions). I am a bit surprised that all A-list songs weren't mentioend on the box. Still, suppose the next volume has different versions of The People in Your Neighborhood, I Love Trash, Bein' Green, and other songs that were remade and included on the first set. Casual fans who bought the first set who don't understand that they were remade might see them mentioend on the packaging and think that it's just repeating certain skits.

There are some songs that I associate as A-list, or very high B-list, that were not included in any form. Songs like Sing, Count it Higher, The Ballad of Casey McPhee, Somebody Come and Play, Mahna Mahna (though Sesame Workshop would need to secure the music rights to release it), and possibly Everyone Likes Ice Cream, Five People in My Family, and Everybody Eats. Of course, that's depending on if the next set focuses on the first five years again or if it focuses on the next five years (there is still a lot of classic material from the first five seasosn that are not on this set, but then again, material from the first five years would also be repeated in the episodes included on a 1974-1979 set).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
spaztek said:
Aside from my nostalgic enjoyment, my children are GLUED!! They will NOT watch any of the new Sesame episodes, but are quite engaged with the old format.
Glad to hear that! I rest my case concerning old school versus new. :smile:

mjb1124

Reaction score
Big Bird Fan said:
I've only watched the first disk so far, but my only complaint was that film about milk. It just kept going on and on and on and on...just when I thought it was over it kept adding on new things and repeating itself. That music didn't help either.
Yeah, I have to agree. When the film first started, I thought "Cool, I love cows!", but it just dragged on and on forever and didn't really go anywhere. I can't even imagine how much it would have bored me as a kid. This film could definitely be used to counter the old "Sesame Street causes short attention spans" argument.

I would actually say the first episode as a whole was a bit slow-moving and repetitive, but it still had some amusing moments, and it was cool to see how they introduced all the characters. The show had definitely found its footing by the third season though.

It's great that I can relive the days when Sesame Street had so much more to offer. I'm glad to hear that some of today's kids are finding yesterday's Street to be more appealing.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
As of this moment, there have been no news made apparent as to a release of Sesame Street Season 1 (1969-1970) on DVD.

All we have at this time is Episode 0001 as part of the first five season premieres from Sesame Street Old School Volume 1.
Hope this helps and have a good night.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I would be surprised if Sesame Workshop started to release season sets of Sesame Street anytime soon. The first 32 seasons normally had 130 episodes per season, so the first season would have a lot of discs. It would also probably be more expensive to release season sets of Sesame Street than most other TV shows, even hour-long shows. And there are a lot of legalties that would need to be cleared. For now, the Old School set is good enough for me, and hopefully more early episodes will be released.

Marky

Reaction score
Taco Monster said:
Yeah, I have to agree. When the film first started, I thought "Cool, I love cows!", but it just dragged on and on forever and didn't really go anywhere. I can't even imagine how much it would have bored me as a kid. This film could definitely be used to counter the old "Sesame Street causes short attention spans" argument.

I would actually say the first episode as a whole was a bit slow-moving and repetitive, but it still had some amusing moments, and it was cool to see how they introduced all the characters. The show had definitely found its footing by the third season though.

It's great that I can relive the days when Sesame Street had so much more to offer. I'm glad to hear that some of today's kids are finding yesterday's Street to be more appealing.
Dude, back then, we dealt with the boring stuff. There weren't 500 satellite channels to pick from. Changing the channel in mid-show was not a common thing to do. SS had TONS of boring stuff in it. That crying baby milk film was boring at the time, it's hilarious in retrospect though.

I don't think there needs to be a full season set anyways (apart from the point Barkley dog avatar person (sorry, it's eary) made. It's all the best of. I'm pretty sure Vol. 2 will be 1975-1979. Being born in 1973, I'll probably get that one for nostalgia reasons, and that's it. I mean, it's not like SS is the Muppet Show, something I can watch over and over again as an adult.

Big Bird Fan

Reaction score
Marky said:
Dude, back then, we dealt with the boring stuff. There weren't 500 satellite channels to pick from. Changing the channel in mid-show was not a common thing to do. SS had TONS of boring stuff in it. That crying baby milk film was boring at the time, it's hilarious in retrospect though.
We're talking about the one where we learn where milk comes from. Not the baby one.

Marky said:
I don't think there needs to be a full season set anyways (apart from the point Barkley dog avatar person (sorry, it's eary) made. It's all the best of. I'm pretty sure Vol. 2 will be 1975-1979. Being born in 1973, I'll probably get that one for nostalgia reasons, and that's it. I mean, it's not like SS is the Muppet Show, something I can watch over and over again as an adult.
Personally I'd enjoy season sets, but that's not financially feasible yet.

Rubber Duckie

Reaction score
I picked up my copy this afternoon. I haven't seen any of the five shows in their entirety yet, but I was happy to see an old school PBS logo at the end of the episodes. I will review once I have seen all five shows from this set.