Your Thoughts: Muppets on WWE Raw SuperShow October 31

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay...

First of all, nods to JJandJanice and piggyinmanhatte as fellow WWE fans. And yes, I have been a fan since 1992-ish and watch both Raw and Smackdown regularly unless I feel tired with the show and turn it off mid-way through. The only way I'd consider actually ponying up for me and my best friend who's a fellow wrestling fan to go to Miami next April Fools is for my champion of the night to run his record to a perfect 20.

Secondly... WWE fans voicing complaints about the Muppets guest-hosting/starring on the Halloween episode? When I first heard of it, I laughed. To quote The Miz, Really? Really? Really? Really. How are the Muppets any worse than any of the other awful guest stars you people have had host your show during the last two years?! To quote R-Truth, you should be booing yourselves! If anyonw has a right to complain about this appearance, it's us, the Muppet fans.

So with that in mind, I did sit down and watched the whole thing, though I told myself I just couldn't.
The only good things in my opinion were:
1 The segment where Seamus came out to stop the guy bullying Beaker, then turning around to say he wouldn't be able to make it to the family reunion.
That made me laugh. Probably the only "true" laugh of the night.
It makes me wonder if he read the Boom! Muppets Comics arch to make that kind of quip. Probably not.
2 The clip from the movie we got to see where Piggy confronts Poogy and tells her that there's only one Miss Piggy and that is her.
3 Hornswaggle hitting on Piggy only to get karate chopped for his troubles... Sort of.
Bonus points to the little leprechaun for wearing the Muppetational Mosaic t-shirt as I've been informed of such on Facebook.
4 Animal ringing the bell at the beginning of Santino's fight against Jack Swagger.

Things I flat out didn't like included:
1 Vicki Guerrero coming out to interrupt/confront the guest-stars, getting into a fight with Piggy over the "Excuse Me!/Excuse Moi!"
Oh wow... Vicki and Dolph Ziggler coming out to interrupt, intimidate, and insult the guest hosts into a match. Quell surprisse.
BTW: Vicki... You might want to not do that anymore seeing as how you and your "studs" are 0-2, due to Dolph losing to Zack Rider with help from Hugh Jackman last month when the Muppets appearance was announced, and now with Jack losing to Santino.
2 Statler was practically non-present. Waldorf got in a few lines, pretty much par for the corpse.
3 Vicki and her boys stretching Gonzo's limbs out.
Ho, an excuse for us to have another stretch-limbed Gonzo.
4 Thanks to other people's posts, Cody Rhodes bagging Kermit at the end.
5 The entire general vibe that this was just a trainwreck of an appearancewhich made me question "Why?!" all along.

At least there are better appearances on the Tonight Show by Piggy this Friday, Jason Segil next Tuesday, and Kermit on the 11th; as well as the SNL episode on the 19th.

Meh. *Moves off to other things.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I loved it! Was there anything after the bit with Statler and Waldorf saying John Cena's next?

beaker

Reaction score
Sounded like there was quite a lot of prominent Muppetyness. I have mixed feelings on this. As even though I could give a doodle about wrestling now days, as a former huge fan/smark, it's kind of depressing seeing the WWE Raw show and overall WWE brand become 100% kiddy stuff.

I agree, the Attitude era was a thousand times better. the Montreal screwjob/hart v michaels feud, the ECW invasion, the DX invasion of WCW Nitro. Not a single wrestler today comes close to the insane pop and magic The Rock and Stone Cold brought. I couldnt even watch five minutes of this stuff, even though I wanted to see the Muppets. and TNA, ugh.

I have a hard time believing any kid doesn't realize the Muppets aren't puppets, but I guess thats the magic of it. I saw full grown middle aged adults in awe and forget theyre just puppets at muppetfest, even tho the performer is right there. And I LIKE how the media and shows respect the muppets and treat them as actual people at all times. But for some reason, its kind of blurring the line too much to have the Muppets on a live wrestling show. I just miss when there was moments that felt unscripted, controversial, etc like 97-02.

And yeah, why the heck wasnt there Sweetums? That would have fit perfectly!

beaker

Reaction score
I used to be a pretty big wrestling fan, well, mostly just a Shawn Michaels fan. I haven't watched it in years, but did last night to the Muppets spots. I enjoyed, for the most part, seeing the Muppets, but I didn't find much else interesting. The amount of commercials, and how long the breaks are, really throw off rhythm to the show in my opinion.
Not to mention the skits! My gosh...its all SNL mad tv comedy backroom comedy skits now. Wheres the actual wrestling? Anyone remember WCW circa 1996? spot after spot, lucha libre/japanese/technical/high flying style...tons of matches, awesome outfits, the NWO invasion angle. Same with WWF by 1997. I was on my feet in awe during so many of those nitro or raw episodes. Pure magic. By 1998 it started getting stale for me a little, the death of Owen in the ring live on tv soured me...but I loved the whole Rock/Stone Cold thing. But by 2002 I feel it was all over.

Now most the big wrestlers are dead are look like their dead(Scott Hall, Luger, etc)

beaker

Reaction score
Another good sign was both Beaker and Animal were at the ringside area at various points... so the live crowd would have seen the performer in plain sight. In a different time, this might have been booed in the extreme era of 10-15 years ago, but with more families in the house, it was merely accepted for what it was.

We shouldn't forget this was a wrestling show with Muppet guest stars...in that sense, i reckon we (muppet fans) did quite well out of it.
That's the problem. While the g rated family demographic WWE now caters to works with the Muppets...it killed it for real fans. Im not saying I liked all the "extreme" stuff(i hate all the gross type stuff a lot of indie promotions aping ECW were about)
and Im not saying WWF was always serious(they had a lot of weird supernatural angles with Undertaker, Papa Shango, Kane, etc) but overall you felt like it was more edgy and adult. More urgent, not as goofy.

The Muppet stuff was pretty good. But there's no way I would be able to sit through two freakin' hours of WWE.
I've rarely witnessed anything as unwatchable on tv in ages, and again I used to be HARDCORE into wrestling(following up every news story online, talking to indie wrestlers, going to live cards, watching every WCW, WWF and indie show on tv)

Can someone post HD of *just* the muppet portions? What, do they only have like 4 matches in 3 hours?

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hmm...I didn't feel that it was damaging to The Muppets, or their fans, to have the wrestlers bullying them a little...after all, these Muppets certainly didn't just take it -- Gonzo LOVED being bullied, Piggy was more than happy to pick a fight with Vicky (and won), Beaker got stood up for in the end by his 'brother'.

It was also SO refreshing to see The Muppets out in public, interacting with humans as equals and being themselves. More please!

Also, well worth adding that cartoons or CGI characters could never have believably done what the Muppets did last night.

robodog

Reaction score
CGI characters will never have the soul the Muppets do.

I didn't see this. I used to watch wrestling regularly though I was more of a WCW fan than a WWF/WWE fan. I can't seem to stomach wrestling much anymore and wouldn't sit through it for a few short Muppet skits.
As for the wrestling fans who griped about the Muppets' appearance. They really don't have much of a leg to stand on. The Muppets are silly, yes, but wrestling can be pretty silly itself. The Muppets' kind of silly is amusing most of the time while some of the silliness seen in wrestling can be cringeworthy at times. The Gobbledy Gooker anyone? Not to mention it's basically grown men in tights playacting when you get right down to it. I'm aware of the skill involved, but it doesn't make the presentation any less goofy at times.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Well, "Poogy" was only there in a clip for the movie, I was only mentioning the ones that were actually there.

Though I did forget to mention Animal.

muppetlover123

Reaction score
o and yea how did the miss poogy clip go anyway was it actully from the movie or live there? and what were the lines