Your favorite Ed Sullivan Muppet skits

P

Philip Kippel

Hello everyone. This is Philip Kippel again.

The skits that the Muppets did on "The Ed Sullivan Show" are very funny, creative, well done and fun to watch.

The Ed Sullivan Muppet skits I seem to like the most are:

-"Rock 'n' Roll Monster" (fun)
-"I Feel Pretty" (a moralistic heartfelt story with a happy ending)
-"A Change of Face" (the different personalities that the Colonel got with his face changes were funny)
-"The Computer Dinner" (very funny, especially the "surprise" ending)
-"Christmas Reindeers" (those reindeers were so funneeeeeee, loved their jokes and the song they sing at the end)
-"Sclrap Flyapp" (fun, I like the puppets' "animated" features including the light-up eyes and smoke coming out)
-"The Art of Visual Thinking" (creative, the animated images accompanying :smile: and Grump make this skit unique and imaginative)
-"Happy Girls Meets a Monster" (enjoyable, funny and moralistic ending)
-"Business, Business" (funny, catchy music and lyrics, the puppets' mechanical features, a routine that they should've done on "The Muppet Show" as well)
-"The Monster Trash Can Dance" (creative, another routine that would've made for a great "Muppet Show" skit)
-"Java"
-"Octopus's Garden" (nice song, the octopus's jokes were funny and creative)
-"Monster Family" (humorous and heartfelt)
-"The Wild String Quartet" (nice music, love Mahna Mahna's jokes especially "There's too much unnecessary "violins" on TV")
-"Music Hath Charms" (what I did see of it, nice music)

Which Ed Sullivan show Muppet skits do you like the most?

Whatever

Reaction score
I liked
Rock N Roll Monster
reindeer
monster skit (the extra)
Octopus's Garten

muppet_dk

Reaction score
The ones that I like the most are:

Rock 'n' Roll Monster
Business, Business
Octopus's Garden
Monster Family
The Wild String Quartet
The Monster Trash Can Dance

jediX

Reaction score
Hands down, Java. Period. I've loved that sketch since I was 2.

bats1972

Reaction score
Did anyone see the Holiday Ed Sullivan DVD? I saw it today at Suncoast for the 1st time. It comtains various Holiday clips including Muppet ones. Although I don't know what specifically is on it I was surprised to see it.

LabyrinthFan

Reaction score
I love Rock n' Roll Monster, as well as Monster/ Machine. I think the latter was done more successfully on Sullivan than on TMS. :crazy:

BlueAM

Reaction score
My fave Ed Sullivan skits are:

"Rock 'n' Roll Monster"
"Octopus' Garden" (I like the octopus because, since he's performed by Frank, he sounds like Cookie Monster with a dash of Miss Piggy) :mad:
"The Wild String Quartet" (the oval-shape-headed guy in that skit looks like Sully and Zelda Rose crossed together LOL!) :smile:
"Inchworm" (I like it since Kermit laughs JUST like Ernie at one point)

But, most of all, I like:

"I Feel Pretty" (I like Amanda, since she's like an AM when making herself beautiful, and Conrad Love, who later became the puppet used for Guy Smiley, since he looks A LOT like Chance the Gardener in "Being There" LOL!
:smile: )
"A Change of Face" (This skit reminds me of the AMs in the premiere episode of SS, and I noticed that the Colonel's different personalities looked like SS characters. For instance, as a teenager, he looked like either Little Chrissy or Same Sound Brown, and when he was a crook, he looked like Lefty!)

BlueAM

Splurge

Reaction score
It's so difficult to pick a favorite because they were all great. But I think my very favorite is:
"Happy Girl Meets a Monster". Great to see how the Beautiful Day Monster thing began in Muppet skits. Also like seeing the tiny finger-puppet version of Beautiful Day.

I was even amused of the blooper involving the flower pot falling off the wall long before Beautiful Day was supposed to throw it down. And the way whoever handled the props managed to hand up the pot again just in time to be smashed down again on cue.

Jim did all the voices, but I have a feeling it was Frank who played the Monster.

Ryan

Reaction score
Splurge said:
It's so difficult to pick a favorite because they were all great. But I think my very favorite is:
"Happy Girl Meets a Monster". Great to see how the Beautiful Day Monster thing began in Muppet skits. Also like seeing the tiny finger-puppet version of Beautiful Day.

I was even amused of the blooper involving the flower pot falling off the wall long before Beautiful Day was supposed to throw it down. And the way whoever handled the props managed to hand up the pot again just in time to be smashed down again on cue.

Jim did all the voices, but I have a feeling it was Frank who played the Monster.
It's one of my favorites, too. Frank was playing the girl, and Jim Beautiful Day. Frank was lip synching with the puppet to Jim's voice. The audio was prerecorded.

TravellingMatt

Reaction score
My favorites:

Mahna Mahna
Business, Business
Monster Rock Group
Wild String Quartet
Art of Visual Thinking (this concept would later be rehashed on Sesame Street with 2 Anything Muppets)
I've Grown Accustomed... (somewhere Robin is watching this and wondering why someday he'll be explaining this to a therapist)