Will the Count live on?

Fraggline

Reaction score
I guess it will be a little different with Matt doing the voice and puppetry. I wasn't born when Jim or Richard passed away, so this is all very strange and new to me. I've grown up with being used to Steve's Kermit and Jim's, though it was a little weird the first time I heard David Rudman do Scooter. But even if Matt's Count and Herry and Sherlock (maybe? i hope. :smile:) sound different, I'll just be happy to have the old guys back again.
Yeah, it was weird for me when I heard David Rudman's Scooter, too. But now, I'm so excited about all that he's added to the character! So much life and energy; and who knew that the Muppet Show go-fer would go on to get a job at Google or give a speech at TED?
Anyway, that experience is teaching me to have an open mind about new performers. 'Course, I'm not very good at it (I admit, Kermit at America's Got Talent was strange for me), but at least I'll try to keep an open mind about Jerry's Sesame recasts. I have a feeling that they'll be in good hands (please excuse pun; I keep doing that today).

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I haven't seen Herry around since the early 2000s. This might be pretty exciting after all, if we see more of Jerry's characters that we haven't seen in a long time suddenly pop up once again. I'm really looking forward to more Mumford and Mr. Johnson sketches like in the old days.
Yeah. It is something to think about because for a time Frank Oz's characters haven't been around that often, but when Eric and David took over as Grover and Cookie respectively, we've been seeing more and more of them in street scenes. Maybe the same thing will happen with the Count and Jerry's other characters as well.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
I can imagine the pressure Matt V. is feeling, if he is the one taking over the voice. I'm sure he'll do great.

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
Yeah, it was weird for me when I heard David Rudman's Scooter, too. But now, I'm so excited about all that he's added to the character! So much life and energy; and who knew that the Muppet Show go-fer would go on to get a job at Google or give a speech at TED?
Anyway, that experience is teaching me to have an open mind about new performers. 'Course, I'm not very good at it (I admit, Kermit at America's Got Talent was strange for me), but at least I'll try to keep an open mind about Jerry's Sesame recasts. I have a feeling that they'll be in good hands (please excuse pun; I keep doing that today).
Ah yes, I'm so glad Scooter's got his energy back! :big_grin: I was really kind of weirded out by Artie Esposio doing Kermit then too. I mean, it didn't sound perfectly like Steve's Kermit, but it did resemble Jim's a bit. He's actually pretty close. And you figure that this is this guy's dream. If Steve asked me to do Kermit for a special appearance, I'd be so enthralled.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Wait is this the same Matt Vogel that is the understudy for :wisdom: ?

If so this could complicate things in the future if they ever wanted a scene with both the Bird and the Count.

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
Ohhh.....hmmm....that didn't even cross my mind. That would be a whole lot of street responsibility for him. He might even work harder than Kevin Clash. Then again, the Count doesn't show up quite as often as Elmo, so maybe not.

Well, with all the technology these days, I'm pretty sure they could work it out.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Consider that Jerry once said that if he thought anyone would "have" to voice :batty: because his health concerns grew too great, he said Matt would be the best choice.
At least we've gotten Matt as Jerry's TMS characters these last few years, so I'm ready to hear him as the numerian vampirian. :smile:

There is one instance, I forget what recent episode it was, where The Count laughed after a line, and that line wasn't recorded or dubbed by Jerry. It's fairly obvious if you listen closely. So we probably got a taste of Matt's Count already.

Personally, I'd love to see them bring back some of his characters for season 44 (as it's too late to do that now) as a tribute... even if they're silent background characters.

Though they really need to bring Sherlock Hemlock back... we've got those BBC shows, that upcoming CBS thing, and those Robert Downey Jr. movies. He's pretty relevant for them to do a parody of one of them.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
There is one instance, I forget what recent episode it was, where The Count laughed after a line, and that line wasn't recorded or dubbed by Jerry. It's fairly obvious if you listen closely. So we probably got a taste of Matt's Count already.

Personally, I'd love to see them bring back some of his characters for season 44 (as it's too late to do that now) as a tribute... even if they're silent background characters.

Though they really need to bring Sherlock Hemlock back... we've got those BBC shows, that upcoming CBS thing, and those Robert Downey Jr. movies. He's pretty relevant for them to do a parody of one of them.
I would love to see a new Sherlock Hemlock, but then again it would be a bit too soon to do that. :frown:

Also, it was nice to hear Jerry speak Sherlock's character, one last time.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
We might loose performers but the Muppets live forever even though it won't ever quite be the same again. :frown: And though they might be performed by different people the spirits of their original performers will always be there. At least to me. As for Matt I'm sure he's probably gonna feel the same weight on his shoulders that Steve did when he took over as Kermit. But in time he will learn to develop his own personalities in the characters.

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
Yes, every Muppet has the spirit of his original performer because the original performer created the character. And other Muppeteers build off that and give the character more depth.
Love to hear that. Do you think it might have been in Season 40 or something later? Perhaps the one where Big Bird sprains his wing.
Yes, an SS mystery featuring Sherlock. Would be perfect in an updated version of Monsterpiece Theater.