Will the Count live on?

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
Hi all,

We've all been missing Jerry terribly (or at least I have) for the past day. But I like to think his characters, like all Muppets, will live on. I know we've already got Matt Vogel as a replacement for most of Jerry's Muppet Show characters, but what about Sesame Street? So far, no one else that I can think of has ever tried the Count, and the street needs him. And if there's gonna be a Fraggle movie in the next few years, they need Gobo and the Trash Heap.

Just a worry that's been on my mind lately, and wondering what you guys thought or if you had any news on the subject.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Well, Jerry's Count will still be a part of season 43, so we know that much. Maybe Matt will do the voice; it'll be very hard to get used to.

If they keep doing the Mr. Johnson bits, I think Marty can do him (he did a brief line as him in the Tutu Spell episode).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm sure they'll probably get Matt as Count's replacement; if he's done well with Floyd and Uncle Deadly, I'm sure he'll do well with Count too.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
If they keep doing the Mr. Johnson bits, I think Marty can do him (he did a brief line as him in the Tutu Spell episode).
David also did a brief line for Mr. Johnson in EIG.

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
That's good to know. I still can't quite wrap my mind around the fact that Count won't sound the same again.
Well, Jerry's Count will still be a part of season 43, so we know that much. Maybe Matt will do the voice; it'll be very hard to get used to.
So he's in Season 43? It'll be a little strange, but hey, if it's more of Jerry's Count, it's awesome.

I guess it will be a little different with Matt doing the voice and puppetry. I wasn't born when Jim or Richard passed away, so this is all very strange and new to me. I've grown up with being used to Steve's Kermit and Jim's, though it was a little weird the first time I heard David Rudman do Scooter. But even if Matt's Count and Herry and Sherlock (maybe? i hope. :smile:) sound different, I'll just be happy to have the old guys back again.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Consider that Jerry once said that if he thought anyone would "have" to voice :batty: because his health concerns grew too great, he said Matt would be the best choice.
At least we've gotten Matt as Jerry's TMS characters these last few years, so I'm ready to hear him as the numerian vampirian. :smile:

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
Consider that Jerry once said that if he thought anyone would "have" to voice :batty: because his health concerns grew too great, he said Matt would be the best choice.
At least we've gotten Matt as Jerry's TMS characters these last few years, so I'm ready to hear him as the numerian vampirian. :smile:
I'm ready too. I can't wait for the Count to be full of energy again; it hasn't been the same with Jerry just voicing him. And since Matt was chosen by Jerry himself, I totally trust him.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'll be more surprised if Matt DOESN'T become The Count's main performer. But I wonder if any of Jerry's other characters will appear more. Mumford and Fred the Wonder Horse had been showing up every once-in-awhile (Mumford was on the show once last season, after maybe a four-year gap), and Herry has occasionally popped-up in non-speaking roles, though he hasn't spoken in years (though it seems they still show older segments with the character in prominient roles, both on the show and in newer DVDs). Not sure if Jerry was no longer able to do that voice or if it was a different reason. If it was a voice issue, then here's hoping Matt will start performing Herry as well, making him a main character again.

Although Matt should be used to performing Jerry's main characters by now, I wonder if Jerry's death will make it hard for him to perform them. Or even the rest of the cast (in Sesame Street Unpaved Bob McGrath was quoted as saying he could hardly get himself to go near Hooper's Store for a year after Will Lee died).

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
=
I'm totally ready to hear The Count's new voice, too.

I wonder if Matt Vogel practiced The Count's voice before.

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
I'll be more surprised if Matt DOESN'T become The Count's main performer. But I wonder if any of Jerry's other characters will appear more. Mumford and Fred the Wonder Horse had been showing up every once-in-awhile (Mumford was on the show once last season, after maybe a four-year gap), and Herry has occasionally popped-up in non-speaking roles, though he hasn't spoken in years (though it seems they still show older segments with the character in prominient roles, both on the show and in newer DVDs). Not sure if Jerry was no longer able to do that voice or if it was a different reason. If it was a voice issue, then here's hoping Matt will start performing Herry as well, making him a main character again.

Although Matt should be used to performing Jerry's main characters by now, I wonder if Jerry's death will make it hard for him to perform them. Or even the rest of the cast (in Sesame Street Unpaved Bob McGrath was quoted as saying he could hardly get himself to go near Hooper's Store for a year after Will Lee died).
I haven't seen Herry around since the early 2000s. This might be pretty exciting after all, if we see more of Jerry's characters that we haven't seen in a long time suddenly pop up once again. I'm really looking forward to more Mumford and Mr. Johnson sketches like in the old days.