Why Does Everybody Hate Scrappy-Doo?

Bridget

Reaction score
I've always wondered the same question. It makes me even more curious when I saw an Episode of Mystery Incorporated where Fred said something like "We promised to never mention his name again..."

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I've always wondered the same question. It makes me even more curious when I saw an Episode of Mystery Incorporated where Fred said something like "We promised to never mention his name again..."
Yeah, there was a Flim Flam reference, too. Probably his only mention outside of "13 Ghosts".

UnknownSponge01

Reaction score
I will not watch Scooby until Warner Brothers does a Scooby/Shaggy/Daphne/Scrappy reboot and it could happen if the creators of the show after Be, Cool are fans of the 80s series and the series would be good again if it happened. They could change Scrappy's character to be likable. Scooby would of ended after Scooby Goes Hollywood and 80s, 90s and 2000s kids wouldn't know about Scooby and I don't think Scooby would of lasted in reruns or made it to VHS/DVD which is on reason why they should include Scrappy. I think the episodes before Scrappy are boring and the ones after him are annoying. The funny thing is if Scooby ended after Goes Hollywood and Hannah Barbara made a long running Scooby/Shaggy/Daphne/Scrappy reboot in the 90s and Scrappy was created in the 90s or even if Scooby started out with something similar to The New Scooby and Scrappy Doo Show in the 80s/90s, everyone would like him.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I dunno. These Scooby-Doo shows that change the format, while completely necessary to the longevity of the franchise, aren't really smiled upon. I'd say 13 Ghosts was the only tolerable/dare say enjoyable ones of these. The Scooby-Doo formula, rigid as it is, is a strong one. I have yet to see anyone speak favorably of Get a Clue or those ones where Shaggy and Scooby chase after Scrappy (which are the worst).

If they can make Scrappy as funny and personable as they did in 13 Ghosts, I'd be all for it. Other than that, he's puppy non gratta around the franchise.

Meanwhile, Yabba-Doo is the worst Scooby relative with the worst Scooby cartoons. He's completely forgotten, except for die hard Scooby fans...who also hate him.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I actually prefer the ones against the formula myself. I like say Scooby-Doo and the Ghoul School or Zombie Island.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Movies don't count.

A single, confined 80 minute story is different from a season's worth of 20 minute stories. I could see a Scooby-Doo adventure show working, but then again that's what "Get a Clue" was, and... well, "Get a Clue" had nothing to do with Scooby, and any cartoon duo could easily replace them and the show would more or less be the same.

That said, check out "Scooby-Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf." They barely had enough plot for 30 minutes, and turned the rest into a Wacky Races...eh... I'm generously calling it an homage. And even then, the race is padded with repetition, specifically of Wacky Race style commentary puns. That gets tired after the 20th minute of the race, if not sooner. It's a good movie when it does stuff, but it could have been a simple 40 minute special.