Why Does Everybody Hate Scrappy-Doo?

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Why is Scrappy Doo from Scooby Doo so hated among fans of the show? I like him personally, he's a lot less annoying than Daphne in my opinion. He actually TRIES to help Scooby and Shaggy, but Daphne just looks pretty usually and gets captured. And in that live action movie they made him evil! Way to destroy a character that some people may like. THe movies with Scrappy (Ghoul School, and Reluctant Werewolf) are among my favorites. Some people are upset that Fred, Daphne, and Velma aren't around when he's there, but of those three the only one I really like would be Velma. She actually helps solve the mystery. Scooby and Shaggy might be there only for comic relief, but they do it well. Scrappy I think should still be with the gang, because next to Scooby and Shaggy he has more personality than the rest of Mystery Inc. What does everyone else think about him? And I will not SPLAT you if you don't like him. (Grins at his Scrappy reference)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Because he's like the Elmo of the Scooby universe.

rowlfy662

Reaction score
but the main reason people hate him is because it was the scooby series joining the cousin Oliver syndrome cause they intoduced somebody to make the series last but although he saved it hanna barbera over used him and people got bored and more and more annoyed wth him but to be fair i actually like him

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And it should be noted that they didn't just make him evil in Scooby-Doo 2, they actually were slowly letting him snap... there was an old network promo for Cartoon Network back in the early 2000s or so, where we see Scrappy is a security guard (I guess) at the main entrance, and he's pretty much the epitomy of a disgruntled employee, and pretty much goes off on all the newer stars (like Johnny Bravo, Dexter, etc)... even when the announcer finishes the commercial with "Cartoon Network: The Home of Cartoon Stars", Scrappy retorts with, "But not for me! Not for ME, man!"

rowlfy662

Reaction score
ah yes i remember that commercial it was quite funny i think it was the first scooby doo film that made him the villian which was pointless also during the cartoon network 20th anniversary party video at the end when they were going to take the picture scrappy was and Jake the Dog pushes out of the picture

Drtooth

Reaction score
Terrible but true fact. The inclusion of Scrappy-Doo actually saved the Scooby-Doo series.

As for reasons why people hate him, well... he comes on too strong, he's very much an annoying presence when he first appears (that was the point of the Itchy and Scratchy and Poochy episode of the Simpsons). And the worst of all, those dreadful Scrappy-Doo adventures where all he does is annoy some large guy who precedes to chase Scooby and Shaggy around for 7 minutes. Those are some of the worst cartoons of all time. Shaggy and Scooby-Doo get a Clue looks at them and says "Glad that's not us!"

However, real change for the character came in the 80's, when they mellowed him out. He's actually quite likeable, even funny in 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo. Of course, it helps a future Animaniacs/Tiny Toons writer was the head writer for that series. That and maybe Flim Flam was more annoying and made Scrappy look better by comparison.

Of course, the WORST Scooby relative is Yabba-Doo. I can't believe I actually saw one of those once. His cartoons are worse than those Scrappy adventures I mentioned. And I actually liked Scooby-Dum.

rowlfy662

Reaction score
aw scooby dum was the best i always liked him in the eps he appeared and laff-a-lympics

Hubert

Reaction score
I love to hate Scrappy-Doo. Or I hate to love him. Or something like that.

Really, in one sense I don't like him, he can be annoying and just kind of bothersome to be around on the show, but then again, I also love certain aspects of him. He really is hilarious at times.

Gigedygooer

Reaction score
Yeah Scrappy doo actually saved scooby doo and got more likable particularly in the 80s with the 13 ghosts but what i couldnt stand was the way warner bros treated his character! for example the scene from drawn together where they tortured not just him but fred Flintstone and other likable characters, not to mention the harvey birdman attorney when he gets swooped up by avenger and during other episodes when avenger carrys round his corpse. as well as cartoon network making him look bad towards younger generations. also the scooby doo movie in 2002 with the same bad name towards scrappy. if they were to get rid of him they should have just let him slowly fade away and not upset other older generations who watched his shows... including me

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of Scooby-Doo, I find the series overrated, but I have always liked Scrappy Doo. I think his "Puppy power!" catch phrase is funny. Also, most of Scooby Doo is a mystery series, but the second season of Scooby Doo and Scrappy Doo gives the show more variety. Of course it's been a long time since I last watched any Scooby Doo, much less any Scrappy Doo episodes, and can't remember too many specific episodes.

There's an entry on Scrappy in the book "What Were They Thinking?: The 100 Dumbest TV Moments", and it claims that everybody had always hated Scrappy but the people at Hannah-Barberra and the networks were the only ones unaware of the public hatred, which I don't buy. Mark Evanier did a great series of blogs about the creation of Scrappy, saying that he was more well-liked at first. I believe that better (or maybe the 100 Dumbest TV Moments book was right and Mark Evanier was wrong.... Nahhhh.....).