When you need to rant...

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey fanfic writers... Stop posting foreign language stories with English titles! ! !
If you're going to post a Spanish story, give it a Spanish title. When I find one of these I end up pronouncing the English title as if it were written in Spanish and do a :rolleyes:.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They keep saying they do it "for kids of all ages to enjoy," and sadly, that is kind of the truth. At least, when I was a kid, I was the only one in school who liked Rocky and Bullwinkle - all the other kids hated it because it was "old." Any with kids mentality today, every "old" is automatically "bad," so they won't watch it. Even Brad Pitt tried to get his kids to watch the Rankin/Bass Rudolph with him, but they hated it because it was old.
Not that I didn't like Bullwinkle at a younger age. In fact, I watched a lot of old cartoon syndicated packages back in the day because they actually had them without cable. I liked Moose and Squirrel and all, but you really can't fully appreciate it until you're older anyway. Then again, I never liked G.I. Joe as a kid, but find it delightful when I can understand Destro being ..errr...whipped by Baroness or how freaking drunk Shipwreck is. "Old things" need their appreciation to be grown on. You don't need perspective to enjoy the shows, but it betters the appreciation. Nothing is timeless, and that's not a bad thing. If things are the product of their time, you learn about that time period.

Hey fanfic writers... Stop posting foreign language stories with English titles! ! !
If you're going to post a Spanish story, give it a Spanish title. When I find one of these I end up pronouncing the English title as if it were written in Spanish and do a :rolleyes:.
Ugh. Know what I've always hated? When someone puts up rare and lost cartoons on Youtube in some foreign language dub, but don't label it as such. I get so excited to see some Toonsylvania or Filmation Mighty Mouse cartoon only to hear the wrong language. I have nothing against it, but at least label it as dubbed.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I liked Moose and Squirrel and all, but you really can't fully appreciate it until you're older anyway. You don't need perspective to enjoy the shows, but it betters the appreciation.
True, I think that's also why other kids didn't like COW AND CHICKEN or ROCKO'S MODERN LIFE: because of all the adult humor, they "didn't get it," but I'm like you, even though I enjoyed the shows as a kid, it wasn't until I was an adult that I was able to actually understand and appreciate the humor.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I don't see why colorizing these things is still a thing. No one ever liked classic movies being color treated, and I don't even see the point of broadcasting these on current television prime time.
I think the only time colorization was put to good use was when it was used comedically in Reefer Madness where everything was given psychedelic colors, including the pot smoke that changed colors depending on the smokers' moods. :big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Rocko... ooooohhhh... Rocko... that's the freaking most adult cartoon Nick ever made. Rocko working at a phone snuggles hotline, picking bear "berries," Heffer getting aroused by a milking machine and then doing a twisted reference to Casablanca... That's stuff that they didn't even get away with then.

Then again, don't most kids have anything ingrained in their head that if the cartoon isn't South Park (which they can't appreciate the satire of anyway) or Family Guy then it's automatically a baby show and you're somehouw "gay" for liking it. Got crap from liking Ren and Stimpy and not Beavis and Butt-Head (though I totally did), and the old John K Ren and Stimpy cartoons... you wonder why there was kid appeal anyway because it was clearly made for old cartoon fans who were ticked off at the 70's and 80's. The Games ones were juvenile and did the very same things John K couldn't get away with. Hypocrisy at its finest.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oh, great, another mass shooting. How many does that make this year alone? Five? Six? Either way, I'm sure the Reps will blame this one on Obama, like they always do.

Drtooth

Reaction score
While I'd love to give the standard rant about how it's because politicians are the hos and the NRA are their extremely abusive Pimps (that's the least X-rated I can make a metaphor about this and have it be apt), my beef is with the media sensationalizing this. I mean, the sure fire way to get copycat killers and terrorists is not shutting up about what happened. Reporters do have a duty to report when something terrible like this goes down. The do not, however, have a duty to give a play by play of absolutely everything possible when no new information arises. They have no duty to make anything an hour long special based on just that. Rehashing the info we already know before anything significant breaks through. Also... you know what? As much as everyone would like to know what the motive to all these things are, don't bother with it. Just say that a crazy bunghole did something a crazy bunghole would do, and leave it at that. Don't be the rambling manifesto that gives the legitimacy on national TV. No one's going to do a darn thing about these sorts of things, stop giving these people a name and a face unless you're trying to get viewers to track them down. While what they did does need to be remembered, the murderous kooks don't.

Also, I'd like to get into a personal thing about this. I suffer wild depression due to things really sucking for me. And guess what? I didn't go absolutely nuts and shoot up a bunch of innocent people I've never met or joined an organization of [word that rhymes with wussies] that feeds on sad sacks that have a crapload more money and richer parents than I ever would have. I suck it the heck up. I've sucked up enough bad crap I should legally change my name to Kirby. I vent, I have days where I just feel freaking awful. But you know what? I never so much as even punched a guy in the face. And why I am certainly no advocate for suicide, if you're that far gone that you must think the world should pay for your life sucking, by all means point the gun at yourself first. Save the innocent lives of others and just take yourself off the planet, like you're going to do anyway.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Also, I'd like to get into a personal thing about this. I suffer wild depression due to things really sucking for me. And guess what? I didn't go absolutely nuts and shoot up a bunch of innocent people I've never met or joined an organization of [word that rhymes with wussies] that feeds on sad sacks that have a crapload more money and richer parents than I ever would have. I suck it the heck up. I've sucked up enough bad crap I should legally change my name to Kirby. I vent, I have days where I just feel freaking awful. But you know what? I never so much as even punched a guy in the face. And why I am certainly no advocate for suicide, if you're that far gone that you must think the world should pay for your life sucking, by all means point the gun at yourself first. Save the innocent lives of others and just take yourself off the planet, like you're going to do anyway.
Clearly some people just want to spread their misery onto others. It's as if they need to make people suffer just like they do, which shows an unfathomable lack of attachment to humanity. I don't know what's wrong with people that they have to do something like that, other than their view of the world has become so distorted that nothing can change it.

And to make a larger point, if we didn't do something about gun control when 20 first graders were gunned down (an hour-ish from where I live) and examine society's attitudes toward violence at that point, then there is nothing that will make us do it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And to make a larger point, if we didn't do something about gun control when 20 first graders were gunned down (an hour-ish from where I live) and examine society's attitudes toward violence at that point, then there is nothing that will make us do it.
Obama's been trying to get some kind of gun control enforced, but the chumps on the right keep crying, "Waah! Obummer's trying 2 take r guns away! That infringes on r constatooshunal rits! He da wurst prez evah!

Drtooth

Reaction score
The only nugget of satisfaction in this is the talk of this being an act of terrorism (which I will go into detail about in a minute). Which means the same exact party that used terrorism as an excuse to invade other countries (thus creating and recruiting more terrorists) is the same party that's suckling at the teat of the NRA. And at the risk of being Captain Hindsight (I didn't see that South Park), I was constantly thinking to myself, wait... what if terrorists (or rather lone wolf losers, again...more to come on that) started taking advantage of our lax gun laws? We pretty much have all these dumb things in place if you want to get into a plane up to the point where sexually violating full body cavity searching random people happened. We have everyone being wire tapped and stalked on the internet for information. Both things that don't work and don't keep us any safer. But any small change to gun laws, especially against hoarding (which is the big problem no one wants to talk about) are always off the table.

So we get a nice little paradox that would cause a robot to explode if it was used in a sci fi story. We'll do anything to prevent terrorism and keep the populous sacred enough to let it happen, but since Congress (especially right wing members) are the NRA's b****, they finally have one thing that can't protect us from that all the fear mongering and racial baiting they created and exploited.

Now back to MY main rant...

Clearly some people just want to spread their misery onto others. It's as if they need to make people suffer just like they do, which shows an unfathomable lack of attachment to humanity. I don't know what's wrong with people that they have to do something like that, other than their view of the world has become so distorted that nothing can change it.
Life's not great for some people. This I'm well aware of. Some can't deal with depression. And while I'm not going to be one of those who just can't empathize with the depressed and say how gosh darn awful suicide is (but it is, and there's no way I'm endorsing it), if someone's life is that horrible that they can't see the point of another day, a simple "there there" talk isn't going to make anyone feel better. Which, side rant... if we cared so much about not having anyone kill themselves, help them. Be their friend, help them get work, give them more than shallow platitudes. These people need to be pulled out of depression that badly and saying "it gets better" a billion times doesn't do anything, especially since some people's lives get worse.

Now what does this have to do with mass shooters, lone wolf terrorist, and dejected 20 year olds that join up with terrorists? No one who's life is all together is going to say, "Wow. I have a wonderful life partner, great kids, and a job that at worst gives me a mild headache...better go kill some innocent people for some reason." Now, what makes terrorism diabolical and devious is that instead of the actual heads of the organization lifting a Rolex watch wearing hand is that they can count on depressed loners with crappy lives to get radicalized online and do their dirty work for them. Think of those really obnoxious poser emo kids that have richer parents than yours, only with a killing instinct. And it doesn't even need recruitment to a club, either. Anyone remember the Boston Marathon bombing? It was headed up by a constantly angry failure of a human being that got really sore and pouty because (and say this in a baby's voice) dey wouldn't wet him pway in the boxing match because he wasn't Amewican. Poor baby. So instead of sucking it up or (again, no endorsement) killing himself, he did the really pathetic thing. Basically doing the same thing a crazy gunman would do, but justifying it with radicalization so instead of being that pathetic loser who wanted to kill people because "waaaaa!!! It's unfair I can't be a boxing man! Waaaaaa!!!" he decided to become a martyr for a cause he wasn't even associated with. Seemingly inappropriate, yet surprisingly apt cartoon comparison time. Remember CatDog? Remember Eddie the squirrel who desperately wanted to be a Greaser, and when the Greasers weren't ignoring him or kicking the crap out of him, they were using him? Same darn thing. The lone wolf doesn't report to anyone, but it benefits the jerks who wouldn't lift a finger to swat a fly when they have an army of mindless, depressed (I really want to use the P word here) dinks to do it for them. Doesn't matter if they're lone or the emo, pouty little spoiled brat who goes on websites and gets ideas. Same little turds with crybaby problems being used as pawns.

As for the mass shooting brats? I think we can also lump them in as terrorists and what they're doing is terrorism. Only this time it doesn't have that level of "using your own petty revenge to fuel the Megalomanaiacal visions of some dingus hiding in a cave that gives no craps about who you are" angle to it. And as I said before those who are eager to say it isn't the fault of guns being easy to purchase, but a mental health problem are the same ones that cut funding for mental health.