When you need to rant...

Drtooth

Reaction score
:sigh:

I know ranting about this is useless, and I know I shouldn't be a bit surprised... I do love Brad Garrett, but seriously, 'TIL DEATH does NOT belong on TV Land.
I would say that when TV Land puts on modern shows, at least they put on shows people actually watch.

Not so with 'Til Death.

Til Death is the exact opposite of Arrested Development. You may remember, Arrested Development as that show that had poor ratings because Fox barely cared about it at first, then they renewed it barely a couple times and screwed around with the time slot, and even then it got a huge cult following?

Til Death is a show that Fox (in the words of Peter Griffin) forced down America's throats. No one bit. It kept getting renewed because they kept forcing it and forcing it to be a thing, and it never turned into a thing except a waste of America's Time and a perfectly good Brad Garrett.

The show, being from the same producers, was basically a dumping ground for unused concepts from King of Queens (without Jerry Stiller or Patton Oswalt to make it funny), and they just scratched out every fat joke and replaced it with a tall joke. It was insanely mediocre. Sure, there was a laugh here and there, but it was a show that no body liked and didn't take the freaking hint!

Now they're rerunning it? Wow. Can't wait to see their ratings bottom out. They probably got the series cheap. I saw a freaking Til Death Season One at Dollar Tree a year ago. It's that pathetic.

mr3urious

Reaction score
It makes me really mad that Paula Deen is losing her cooking show and several endorsement deals after saying maybe one or two racial slurs many years ago. If coming out as a type 2 diabetic (or making food with lots of butter to begin with) didn't destroy her career, why shouldn't this?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Because nobody is allowed to have one "Uh oh moment" anymore.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Because nobody is allowed to have one "Uh oh moment" anymore.
Unless you're a politician. Then you can say any narrow minded, idiotic thing and everyone will shrug it off as "heh, that blowhard said something blowhardy again." (cough cough Scalia cough cough).

The fact she wanted to throw a pre-Civil War era Plantation Party with black waiters in white suits (and not even ironically) is far more disturbing than saying the N word a couple times. And yet, the media isn't exactly saying anything about that.
Still I like how America's Test Kitchen tore her apart. Nope... not for the racial stuff. For endorsing a VERY crappy brand of chicken.

Because at the end of the day, I don't hate celebrity chefs for doing something stupid, like having bad sitcoms or saying the N word... I HATE them because they are complete sell outs that endorse crappy food that's no different than the normal Kraft sauces except for the price... which is undoubtedly linked to their licensing fees for having their names on it. I don't tolerate that in designer clothing, I don't tolerate that in sauce. I especially love how they completely tore that apart in Ratatouille.

Though there was one Emiril BBQ sauce I had once that was pretty good. But I found a Kraft 1 dollar bottle that was just as good.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Don't you just love the world's continual passive aggressive ways to shame overweight people into feeling bad about themselves into losing weight? Now, the AMA has decided the best way to get overweight people to shed pounds is by classifying obesity as a disease.

Drtooth

Reaction score
"Obesity" is a word that ticks me the heck off. They sell you the word obesity as big fat huge guys over 100 pounds overweight, they show the fattest people they can find when using the term, and that puts the idea that hugely hugely fat people are that common when obesity is barely 50 pounds over. Even Morbidly obese is only about 100, and that brings up images of the gigantically fat people the media uses like circus freaks.

I mean, overweight can run the gamut from a couple pounds over to massively overweight. The terminology and the extremely outdated quackery of the BMI (being muscular is considered fat too) makes everything sound much worse than it is, leading to the windmill crusade on health. Something tells me if things were adjusted, and obese meant what the common person thought it would, things wouldn't sound half as bad.

Obesity isn't a disease. It's what it does to your body that becomes disease.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, if you ask me, obesity is as much of a "disease" as homosexuality.

Drtooth

Reaction score
On that subject, here's a rant...

Scalia is a pile of sentient poop. I really wish Dan Savage or someone would try to get a campaign to turn his name into a dirty word, like they did with Sanctorum. But not a sex act. Persoanlly, I'd go with "the burning hot liquid discharge you get from the worst food poisoning imaginable."

The guy's a real d-bag. Everything he says is offensive and Troll-y. There's a lot of politicians I dislike, especially on the far right side of the scale, but Scalia is the WORST! Guy's about as impartial as a sports fan. Impartiality is pretty much obligation number 1 to be on the Supreme court. I bet he was just whiffed in quickly under Dubya.

galagr

Reaction score
You know you're a 90's kid when...

you won't shut the heck up about it.

Alright, fellow MCers, grab your popcorn, this is gonna be a good one.

Over the past couple of months, I've seen COUNTLESS messages spamming my Facebook about "Uhh... the 90's were the best! Everything about today sucks!" or "My childhood was awesome! Kids today don't know how to have a childhood!" No. NOOOOOOOOOO.

Well, let's start, shall we? First of all, what does being a 90's kid give you? Do you get an award? Do you get to put it on your resume? Do you get resignation at a presidential ceremony? Oh, you get bragging rights on the internet. Lucky you. Before yo can give me answer of "dood! bein a 90s kid gave us teh gift of a awesone childhood!!11!!1!!!!!!1" I'm pretty sure the kids (now adults) born in the 80's and 70's miss being a kid as well, but you don't see them complaining.

Secondly, what was about the nineties that made it so special, anyways? Sure, they had some pretty good T.V. shows ( Ed Edd n Eddy, Kenan and Kel, etc., etc.). But when said "90's Kids" talk about the shows today they mention shows like 16 and Pregnant and Jersey Shore. Okay, those shows ARE basically the bane of my existence, but should those shows really be the ones that represent this decade? No, of course not! From the 2000's to the 2010's and so on, we had TONS of awesome shows. The Walking Dead, Lost, The Office, That 70's Show, The Sopranos, Dexter, Drake and Josh, iCarly, Fairly Odd Parents ( well, at least the first few seasons), Hanna Montana ( okay, not the best example, but I'll be darned if it wasn't successful), Danny Phantom, Jimmy Neutron, Gravity Falls, Adventure Time, etc. In every list there has to be a few bad ones, but I think we have some good television shows.

I've also seen 90's kids say how unoriginal and weird kid's shows are today. On the unoriginal standpoint, there were MANY rip-offs of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Transformers, and Scooby Doo ripoffs in the 90's. If something is really successful, there are going to be people that want to cash in on it, too. Now, on the weird standpoint, I will agree that children's shows are a bit strange nowadays (Adventure Time, Regular Show, and, formerly, Chowder, and The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy) But, trust me, the ninties had a bunch of shows that made no sense. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Cow and Chicken (to an extent), Ren and Stimpy, Ahh! Real Monsters, etc. Heck, if you think about it, The Powerpuff Girls doesn't make much sense. Three crime fighting Kindergartners made when Samurai Jack (the resemblance is uncanny) mixed together some chemicals, whose main antagonist is a green monkey who is also a mad scientist.

Now, I'm not hating on ALL 90's kids. In fact, I'm a 90's kid myself ( '93 FTW), but I don't exactly take pride in it. I'm only hating on the "90's Kids" that can't find anything better to do but to get online and whine about their childhood. I don't think the kids of today need to take "childhood lessons" from a young adult who grew up in the decade in which Overalls where a primary fashion choice.

Sorry for the long post, I just needed to vent. And, with that, I bid you ado.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My only problem with kids entertainment today is that there's really nothing out there that doesn't insult their intelligence. Admittedly, yes, cartoons back in the 90s were pretty great and unique, but they didn't talk down to kids... in fact, a LOT of those cartoons were FULL of parental bonuses. Basically, the cartoons of the 90s never really tried to grab a certain age bracket, they were pretty much acceptable for kids of almost all ages to watch (though apparently, according to peer pressure, you were considered "too old" to watch them by Grade 8). They were also well-written at that: the stories were pretty solid, the characters were engaging, you had an amalgam of different forms of humor (slapstick, toilet, even cerebral in some cases). Fast forward to today, cartoons are divided into two categories: kids only and adults only. Kids only cartoons tend to be watered-down, the writing is mostly filler, the humor is babyish, they kind of talk down to kids, there's really no substance to them; adults only cartoons are vulgar, raunchy, bawdy, the writing doesn't focus so much on the actual story as it does trying to get away with pushing the envelope as far as it can go, the humor is really suggestive, there's not a lot of susbtance to them either.

That's my only argument, as uncompelling as it is.